Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Car dealer force you to either pay cash or use their financing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at buying a used M3, but from an Acura dealership. After discussing numbers, they said they “don’t allow outside financing”. Below is the actual language on their site. I have bought and sold probably 10 cars and literally never heard this before. Ive used my credit union and provided the dealership (or private party) a check in every other instance. I’m confused as to how this could even be legal? Am I missing something or are they just making up pandemic rules that aren’t enforceable? I do want the car but I am not going to be told who I have to finance with…

Only certified funds (cash, personal check, etc.) Or financing offered by the dealership are acceptable forms of payment. At this time, we are unable to accept credit union drafts, facilitate export deals, or offer any dealer to dealer wholesale.
Banks will give certified checks, the same as if you were paying. They may not support direct financing from a bank. For example Bank of America has dealers subscribe to their network. They get a code transmitted to them with your financing information. You sign the papers and go.

I'm not sure I'd buy anything from that dealer given what you posted.

There was a recent article in either the WSJ or NYT’s about this.
Dealer was quoted as saying if they buy for cash, then it is $2k over msrp or if you finance thru the dealer, it is an msrp deal on the financing. Times are just crazy. If you wont do it, the next person will. They have you by the short hairs, as they say. If you have to finance thru the dealer, I think it is a law that there is no prepayment penalty should you wish to pay it off immediately or re-finance.

Reactions: brkaus
Dealer was quoted as saying if they buy for cash, then it is $2k over msrp or if you finance thru the dealer, it is an msrp deal on the financing. Times are just crazy. If you wont do it, the next person will. They have you by the short hairs, as they say.

This type of behavior is very short-sighted. They're just reinforcing the notion that dealers should go away. I find Tesla's fixed pricing and online ordering a very welcome change to the industry.

This type of behavior is very short-sighted. They're just reinforcing the notion that dealers should go away. I find Tesla's fixed pricing and online ordering a very welcome change to the industry.
Just did it again today after visiting all the dealers with EV competition. My wife commented that she doesn’t want to deal with them ongoing. I said M3 for you.

Reactions: father_of_6
You don’t actually have to wait. You can pay it off on day 1. The dealer just won’t get their kickback if you pay it off too soon. But **** ‘em.
Be careful. You don’t think these sharks, that do this day in and day out, thought of that? You gonna read all the fine print and make sure that path won’t cost you?

They might be completely legit and it’s a good deal. But I wouldn’t buy a Tesla from a dealer.

Reactions: father_of_6
I have no sympathy for the car dealers, had many lousy experiences with them prior to buying my M3. When I come home I have to take a shower to get the slime off of me.

Not sure they want to gouge people either, they have no inventory and can’t keep the doors open without sales, so it is margin and turnover working here. With little inventory they have to charge more to keep the dollars coming in.

Same article I mentioned above….customer came into to car dealer, hit it off with the sales manager and bought a very hot model truck at msrp. The next day sales associates in the office go to the sales manager, showing him a for sale ad by the guy who bought the car the day before asking $10K over msrp. Same car because seller used the pics from the dealer.

Whenever you get a dealer that seems to be pulling shady *sugar*, reach out to your local news. There's usually at least one person at one of the channels that is primarily involved in going to bat for customers who get ripped off.

Exposing the dirty dealers is one way their practices can be eliminated.

Also, if a dealer tries to charge above sticker price, report them to corporate HQ. GM and Ford have both stated they want to crack down on this practice.

I’m looking at buying a used M3, but from an Acura dealership. After discussing numbers, they said they “don’t allow outside financing”. Below is the actual language on their site. I have bought and sold probably 10 cars and literally never heard this before. Ive used my credit union and provided the dealership (or private party) a check in every other instance. I’m confused as to how this could even be legal? Am I missing something or are they just making up pandemic rules that aren’t enforceable? I do want the car but I am not going to be told who I have to finance with…

Only certified funds (cash, personal check, etc.) Or financing offered by the dealership are acceptable forms of payment. At this time, we are unable to accept credit union drafts, facilitate export deals, or offer any dealer to dealer wholesale.
Dealers get a kickback from the financing companies they use. I think they can, in fact, not do business with you if you don't use the form of payment they specify, on the other hand, you don't have to do business with them either. This certainly isn't going to create good will with their customers long term.

Whenever you get a dealer that seems to be pulling shady *sugar*, reach out to your local news. There's usually at least one person at one of the channels that is primarily involved in going to bat for customers who get ripped off.

Exposing the dirty dealers is one way their practices can be eliminated.

Also, if a dealer tries to charge above sticker price, report them to corporate HQ. GM and Ford have both stated they want to crack down on this practice.

Too much work. Just buy a Tesla instead😛

Reactions: ODWms
...Also, if a dealer tries to charge above sticker price, report them to corporate HQ. GM and Ford have both stated they want to crack down on this practice.
I don't understand the problem with this. It is basic economics. Supply and demand. In case you didn't know MSRP stands for "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price". The key word is "Suggested". How many cars sold for MSRP before the shortage? You never negotiated a discount? When a dealer has few cars to sell how are they supposed to keep the doors open? Ask their employees to take a 30% pay cut?

One of my clients is a GMC/ Buick dealership. Here are pictures I took in September of their inventory. That's right. One new car. One.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 56
I don't understand the problem with this. It is basic economics. Supply and demand.
I would agree if there was only one dealer. I'm not married to a brand or a dealership. If a dealership can't deliver or is trying to charge me more than the MSRP I'm just going to look elsewhere. There are options. Maybe I won't get exactly what I wanted, but at least I won't get screwed by a car dealership.

Reactions: ljbad4life
I would agree if there was only one dealer. I'm not married to a brand or a dealership. If a dealership can't deliver or is trying to charge me more than the MSRP I'm just going to look elsewhere. There are options. Maybe I won't get exactly what I wanted, but at least I won't get screwed by a car dealership.
Shop around for a better deal? So you are embracing the free market system.

In this market very few dealers are not adding markup. Or at least a $1900.00 "paint protection package." Good luck in your hunt.

Their business their rule. So just walk away as this looks shady.

I would still see their rate and what is their final cost, do not let them run your credit and they are legit they will give you a draft of all cost assuming your credit is xxx. My guess they will bend you over.