Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can car and app communicate via wifi without internet? [Answer: no]

gmatocha

Oct 30, 2019
DFW
Hi - I own a Model 3 and a property in a VERY remote region of Colorado. There is no cell service and no internet connectivity at this location.

My question is - if I put a Wifi router at this property, connect both the car and the phone to Wifi, will I be able to use the app to connect to and control the car?

I have no intention of adding any kind of internet connectivity (ie satellite or StarLink ;) ). I'm simply trying to figure out whether adding a wifi router will be of any use.

David L

Jun 26, 2016
San Diego, CA
Yes, you can access the Model 3 as long as both it and your phone are connected to the Internet through WiFi. The app should also stay logged-in after you leave the WiFi connection, so that you can use it for the phone key. If you log out without a connection, however, you'd lose the phone key until your phone can get an Internet connection again.

Edit: I misread OP's post. No, it wouldn't work without an Internet connection.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Yes, you can access the Model 3 as long as both it and your phone are connected to the Internet through WiFi. The app should also stay logged-in after you leave the WiFi connection, so that you can use it for the phone key. If you log out without a connection, however, you'd lose the phone key until your phone can get an Internet connection again.

No, he’s talking about the car talking directly to each other over a “local” WiFi network.

The phone app talks to the Tesla Server and the Car talks to the same Tesla Server. No access to Tesla Server then no communication.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
You can unlock a 3 since it’s local but the phone must have already been logged in and auth’d with Tesla. Using the car long term in a spot with no connectivity is probably a bad idea. You can use the card for access, of course. All of the other app functions are through Tesla servers, as was mentioned.

hugh_jassol

Jan 26, 2019
Los Angeles
Just to add a bit to what others are saying... Other than bluetooth for locks, the car makes a VPN connection to Tesla's server and all IP traffic to/from the car needs to flow through that VPN connection, which means it all flows through Tesla's servers. This is true for all data in/out of the car - web browser, streaming music, etc.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC