TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can car and app communicate via wifi without internet? [Answer: no]

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by gmatocha, Nov 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gmatocha

gmatocha New Member

Hi - I own a Model 3 and a property in a VERY remote region of Colorado. There is no cell service and no internet connectivity at this location.

My question is - if I put a Wifi router at this property, connect both the car and the phone to Wifi, will I be able to use the app to connect to and control the car?

I have no intention of adding any kind of internet connectivity (ie satellite or StarLink ;) ). I'm simply trying to figure out whether adding a wifi router will be of any use.

2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

AFAIK all that connectivity goes via Tesla's servers. So it wouldn't work.

3. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Member

Ya... Tesla server has to get involved, even if only to authenticate you.

4. David L

David L Member

Yes, you can access the Model 3 as long as both it and your phone are connected to the Internet through WiFi. The app should also stay logged-in after you leave the WiFi connection, so that you can use it for the phone key. If you log out without a connection, however, you'd lose the phone key until your phone can get an Internet connection again.

Edit: I misread OP's post. No, it wouldn't work without an Internet connection.

5. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

No, he’s talking about the car talking directly to each other over a “local” WiFi network.

The phone app talks to the Tesla Server and the Car talks to the same Tesla Server. No access to Tesla Server then no communication.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You can unlock a 3 since it’s local but the phone must have already been logged in and auth’d with Tesla. Using the car long term in a spot with no connectivity is probably a bad idea. You can use the card for access, of course. All of the other app functions are through Tesla servers, as was mentioned.

7. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

Just to add a bit to what others are saying... Other than bluetooth for locks, the car makes a VPN connection to Tesla's server and all IP traffic to/from the car needs to flow through that VPN connection, which means it all flows through Tesla's servers. This is true for all data in/out of the car - web browser, streaming music, etc.

8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member