Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can car and app communicate via wifi without internet? [Answer: no]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I own a Model 3 and a property in a VERY remote region of Colorado. There is no cell service and no internet connectivity at this location.

My question is - if I put a Wifi router at this property, connect both the car and the phone to Wifi, will I be able to use the app to connect to and control the car?

I have no intention of adding any kind of internet connectivity (ie satellite or StarLink ;) ). I'm simply trying to figure out whether adding a wifi router will be of any use.

Yes, you can access the Model 3 as long as both it and your phone are connected to the Internet through WiFi. The app should also stay logged-in after you leave the WiFi connection, so that you can use it for the phone key. If you log out without a connection, however, you'd lose the phone key until your phone can get an Internet connection again.

Edit: I misread OP's post. No, it wouldn't work without an Internet connection.

Yes, you can access the Model 3 as long as both it and your phone are connected to the Internet through WiFi. The app should also stay logged-in after you leave the WiFi connection, so that you can use it for the phone key. If you log out without a connection, however, you'd lose the phone key until your phone can get an Internet connection again.

No, he’s talking about the car talking directly to each other over a “local” WiFi network.

The phone app talks to the Tesla Server and the Car talks to the same Tesla Server. No access to Tesla Server then no communication.

You can unlock a 3 since it’s local but the phone must have already been logged in and auth’d with Tesla. Using the car long term in a spot with no connectivity is probably a bad idea. You can use the card for access, of course. All of the other app functions are through Tesla servers, as was mentioned.

Just to add a bit to what others are saying... Other than bluetooth for locks, the car makes a VPN connection to Tesla's server and all IP traffic to/from the car needs to flow through that VPN connection, which means it all flows through Tesla's servers. This is true for all data in/out of the car - web browser, streaming music, etc.