Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I charge my laptop when I am not in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I charge my camera, or let's say my tablet/laptop (or something else) when I am not in my car?
The car goes to sleep after 5 minutes unless using Sentry or Camp/Dog mode, so there is no 12 V or 5 V available.

I wonder if putting a 12 V extension with a 15 A fuse inside the frunk and directly connected to the battery would be a possibility?
The screws on the battery are long enough to put an extra eye connection and a bolt without having to disconnect the battery.
I have this extension ready in case I would like to use a portable fridge or a tire air pump.

I don't think that charging a laptop would affect too much the battery when sleeping, while it might send an alarm?
Also, this setting is easy to remove if you have to put your car for service without worry about the warranty.

I installed in fact a Bluetooth battery monitor to check the status of my battery.
I noticed that when the car is asleep, the battery get recharged after one or two days during about two hours.
I download a daily status graph on my phone which help me to check the health of my battery.

Last edited:
The car goes to sleep after 5 minutes unless using Sentry or Camp/Dog mode, so there is no 12 V or 5 V available.

I wonder if putting a 12 V extension with a 15 A fuse inside the frunk and directly connected to the battery would be a possibility?
The screws on the battery are long enough to put an extra eye connection and a bolt without having to disconnect the battery.
I have this extension ready in case I would like to use a portable fridge or a tire air pump.

I don't think that charging a laptop would affect too much the battery when sleeping, while it might send an alarm?
Also, this setting is easy to remove if you have to put your car for service without worry about the warranty.

I installed in fact a Bluetooth battery monitor to check the status of my battery.
I noticed that when the car is asleep, the battery get recharged after one or two days during about two hours.
I download a daily status graph on my phone which help me to check the health of my battery.
This would certainly be possible. Remember the frunk isn't secure against a knowledgable crook.