Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone explain how the new schedule charging works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do one of two things:
1) Set a time to START charging
2) Set a departure time

1- is pretty self explanatory. You plug it in and it waits until then to start charging.

2 - will have your car charged and pre-conditioned by the time you set. If you ALSO set a "peak rates end" time, then it will make sure it's done charging by that time, and then it will pre-condition by your departure time.

To answer your question directly: If you plug in a 5p, it waits and starts at a time sufficient to have it finish just before 6am

The real mystery is why the scheduled charging or scheduled departure settings can't be set in the app. When I leave my car at the end of the day, I seldom know what my departure time for the next day will be. But sometime during the evening, when my plans are set and then I'm supposed to return to my vehicle to set my departure time ?????
In practice, I leave a charging schedule set to begin when rates fall at 10 pm. Getting to my charging target seldom takes more than a few hours, so the car is idle until I'm brushing my teeth in the morning when I start Climate from the app. But this feels like a workaround for the limitations of the app.

My super off-peak in Arizona with APS is from 10 AM to 3 PM in the winter months. I set it to end at 3 PM and it kept charging as it was only at 44% not where I set the limit.

It needs to have a setting for start time and another setting for end of off-peak time.

In my opinion it fails to work. I have to plug it in and unplug it to get the cheap power. My leaf worked better at this.

I was trying to figure out the same thing - the way they have it designed right now, you can’t select a departure time while still ensuring you don’t start charging during peak hours.

Yes you can. As long as you set a time for end of off-peak rates, the charging period will be as late as possible while respecting that limit. If you don't set an off-peak schedule, it will start charging as soon as you connect the charger. In either case, preconditioning and climate control will be scheduled for your selected departure time. If you have no TOU rates, set the off-peak end time after your scheduled departure to delay charging as late as possible.

Yes you can. As long as you set a time for end of off-peak rates, the charging period will be as late as possible while respecting that limit. If you don't set an off-peak schedule, it will start charging as soon as you connect the charger. In either case, preconditioning and climate control will be scheduled for your selected departure time. If you have no TOU rates, set the off-peak end time after your scheduled departure to delay charging as late as possible.

the issue isn’t the end of off peak rates, it’s the beginning. By scheduling a departure time, the car calculates backwards, assuming you want a full charge at departure and you have no control over when it actually starts charging.

It’s an issue for me because my charger is controlled by the power company and will not supply power outside of off peak hours. If the car tries to charge prior to that it creates an error and then doesn’t charge at all because it assumes the charger is faulty.

Reactions: Matsayz
the issue isn’t the end of off peak rates, it’s the beginning. By scheduling a departure time, the car calculates backwards, assuming you want a full charge at departure and you have no control over when it actually starts charging.

It’s an issue for me because my charger is controlled by the power company and will not supply power outside of off peak hours. If the car tries to charge prior to that it creates an error and then doesn’t charge at all because it assumes the charger is faulty.

You can do one of two things:
1) Set a time to START charging
2) Set a departure time

1- is pretty self explanatory. You plug it in and it waits until then to start charging.

2 - will have your car charged and pre-conditioned by the time you set. If you ALSO set a "peak rates end" time, then it will make sure it's done charging by that time, and then it will pre-condition by your departure time.

To answer your question directly: If you plug in a 5p, it waits and starts at a time sufficient to have it finish just before 6am
It isn’t obvious to me. With my Volt, I just typed in the summer and winter schedule with the 3 cost tiers then overrode when needed. I didn’t see anything like that. I obviously missed something. I know it’s especially important when you need a full or high level charge to have charging end as near departure time as possible so the battery stays at full charge for a short a time as possible. What am I doing wrong?

Small nit: the car counts backwards to charge as high as you have requested, which could be 40%, 80% or 100%, or something in between. And yes, based your ultimate goal (which is not necessarily a "full" charge), charging will start when it thinks it needs to.

My super off-peak in Arizona with APS is from 10 AM to 3 PM in the winter months. I set it to end at 3 PM and it kept charging as it was only at 44% not where I set the limit.

It needs to have a setting for start time and another setting for end of off-peak time.

In my opinion it fails to work. I have to plug it in and unplug it to get the cheap power. My leaf worked better at this.
At what time did you plug it in and how long should it have taken to charge to your set point?

It isn’t obvious to me. With my Volt, I just typed in the summer and winter schedule with the 3 cost tiers then overrode when needed. I didn’t see anything like that. I obviously missed something. I know it’s especially important when you need a full or high level charge to have charging end as near departure time as possible so the battery stays at full charge for a short a time as possible. What am I doing wrong?

What is it you are trying to do? You didn't miss anything - Tesla does not have the same options as your Volt did (I had a volt prior to my M3 as well). The only option regarding electricity rates comes into play when you use Scheduled Departure.

If your goal is to make sure you are charging using your lowest rate, then the easiest thing to do is use Scheduled Charging and set it to start at the time your low rate starts. My off-peak is 11p-7a, so I set my car to start charging at 11p.

If you want to have your car pre-conditioned for you, use Scheduled Departure. The goal here is to have your car warm (or cool in Sumer) and your battery warm at the time you are ready to leave so that everything is the most efficient. Therefore you can also set when your low rates END. This way your car automatically calculates when it needs to start charging so they it finishes as close to your departure time as possible, while still staying within your low rates. This is because charging warms the battery.

You always have the option of clicking the "start charging" either in the app or on the screen in the car to override whatever you set and start the charge immediately.

It's possible I misunderstood the release notes. I thought that the update makes it possible to schedule the pre-conditioning of the car for a time you want even if you are not connected to a charging source. I live in a condo building, and top off my car in the evening during dinner at a public charging facility in the garage. After dinner when it is charged to my selected level, I move my car to my assigned parking space. I did not see how it is possible to schedule pre-conditioning before my morning commute if I am not connected to charging.

Is this possible?

The new software SOUNDS like it incorporates TOU electric pricing... but only entering the END time of our Super Off Peak rate doesn't work the way it logically should.

I set my Tesla's Departure time to 6:45 AM. When I got home at 6:30 PM (during On Peak) my Tesla started to charge immediately for a 6:45 AM Departure... Even thought Super Off Peak doesn't begin until 10:00 PM and ends at 8:00 AM. DUMB since our Tesla charges at 60A / 240V on our gen1 Tesla High Power Wall Connector... which only took 3:37 to charge to 80% SoC from my 18% arrival SoC.

Tesla needs to let us enter BOTH the TOU Start AND Stop times for our Super Off Peak TOU pricing... so it would NOT start charging for an upcoming scheduled Departure time until at least the TOU Start time. This would have been ~ 3:00 AM the following morning for my 6:45 AM Departure time... not 6:30 PM when I plugged in.

The ONLY time our Tesla should charge outside of our 10:00 PM and to 8:00 AM Super Off Peak window is if our charge rate was so low it couldn't hit our desired charge by our scheduled Departure time... or I manually override the charge schedule.

It’s quite possible I am missing something, but I can’t figure out how to schedule a departure time since this update. It used to be simple, set the departure time, hit ‘schedule’, and it would work. Now, when I try to set a departure time, the only way to exit the departure time popup seems to be to close it with the x, but when I do that the time has not been set, and if I have already raised the charge limit from my current state, the car starts charging immediately. Is there something else I should be doing to make this work?

It's possible I misunderstood the release notes. I thought that the update makes it possible to schedule the pre-conditioning of the car for a time you want even if you are not connected to a charging source. I live in a condo building, and top off my car in the evening during dinner at a public charging facility in the garage. After dinner when it is charged to my selected level, I move my car to my assigned parking space. I did not see how it is possible to schedule pre-conditioning before my morning commute if I am not connected to charging.

Is this possible?

Keytickler...yes Preconditioning Scheduled Departure only (not charging) is possible. Take a look at my attached pics for context. We can access the Scheduled Departure settings from two different places now.....the original charging screen and now the AC control screen (see my first pic). You can set both Scheduled Departure Preconditioning and Charging from either screen BTW.

The last of my four pics shows a Preconditioning Scheduled Departure of 1630, however my Charging Scheduled Departure is inactive.....look at the bottom of the second photo and you can see the elongated button depicting the word "Schedule." That is my Charging Scheduled Departure showing Inactive. Even though I had a Preconditioning Scheduled Departure setting, that elongated button stayed greyed out, because I did not have a Charging Scheduled Departure set.
20210103_063212.jpg
20210103_064001.jpg
20210103_064042.jpg
20210103_064019.jpg

Attachments

• 20210103_063212.jpg
    20210103_063212.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 412
  • 20210103_064001.jpg
    20210103_064001.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210103_064042.jpg
    20210103_064042.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210103_064019.jpg
    20210103_064019.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I was trying to figure out the same thing - the way they have it designed right now, you can’t select a departure time while still ensuring you don’t start charging during peak hours.[/QUOTE
I agree with both you and the post above. The easiest way to deal with time of use non-peak is to have a start and end time for non-peak time. In other words I'd like to be able to come home and plug my car in at 6:00 p.m. but know that it will not start charging until my non-peak rate starts at 9:00 p.m. and be assured it will stop by 9:00 a.m. the next morning when my non peak rate stops. There is no way the car will take any longer than 4 hours or so to charge to 90% but I still believe that is the easiest way to handle non-peak rate periods

Reactions: BrokerDon
I set my Tesla's Departure time to 6:45 AM. When I got home at 6:30 PM (during On Peak) my Tesla started to charge immediately for a 6:45 AM Departure...

I am having the same problem, not only with the Scheduled Departure feature but also with the Charging Time. On several occasions I have discovered that the car began charging immediately after I left it during peak hours even though it wasn't supposed to. I've beenn going around in circles trying to get these settings to work properly!