Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone identify these white marks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone know what these white marks are. I tried to show it as best as possible on the picture but it looks more dominant in real life.

White marks just above the driver side door handle.
First I thought it is just dirt. But I can’t wipe it away. It also isn’t residue from polishing.
Then I thought scratches? But when feeling it there is no scratch or anything else that would be obvious.
I really don’t know where the white marks come from.
IMG_0957.jpeg

I had a few tiny white spots over my car recently. I think I actually caused this myself when I was painting the outside of my house using a roller. They've all come off now thankfully. Could have been anyone using a roller near your car and tiny paint droplets can float in the air and land on your car.

I'd agree it looks like the paint base layer is showing through there.

It may be easy enough to make it less obvious with a very thin brush and some touch up paint. Alternatively, based on my experience, one of the 'smart repair' firms could make it disappear very effectively and cheaply.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you want to really blow your mind, look closer and you can see it hasn't been painted properly inside the handle recess.

Personally I'd probably chalk this up to "if this is all I have to worry about in my life, I'm probably doing ok". :)

Reactions: M1tch
Maybe someone know what these white marks are. I tried to show it as best as possible on the picture but it looks more dominant in real life.

White marks just above the driver side door handle.
First I thought it is just dirt. But I can’t wipe it away. It also isn’t residue from polishing.
Then I thought scratches? But when feeling it there is no scratch or anything else that would be obvious.
I really don’t know where the white marks come from. View attachment 925590
Interesting. I had similar marks on my trunk just above the T emblem. It would not come off no matter what and they were an off green/white color and it slightly disappear when it rained. I recently took my polisher and some compound and it came off! No idea what it was. Thought I took a picture of it but can't find it for the life of me.

I tried the finger nail. But it doesn’t want to come off. But it could be baked in polish. I might give it another good rub later.

If you have a bit of isopropyl alcohol - give that a try on a cotton bud or failing that some window cleaner. The other option is a wooden toothpick as this is less likely to scratch the paint etc if you slip with it or similar.
To me given the picture - it looks almost like silicon rather than paint being worn through with a polisher as it's "inside" the edge rather than on it and looks almost frayed like it has been cut or something

I am assuming the car was new to you but not new so don't know the history of what has been done?