Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Really do it? [install at the price quoted]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a quote from a local solar vendor. They quoted an 8.1kW solar system with 2 Power Walls. After incentives, it was going to be $35k.

If I check this on the Tesla web site, they are less than $23k post incentives.

I live in Oregon with less sun and cheaper electricity than most places. I can probably make the $23k system work. $35k is not in the cards.

What's the down side of going with Tesla?

Tesla did a major compress of the solar panel process. Significantly reduced the end user prices, and now is growing at an amazing rate.

Put in a 12 panel system for about $7,800. Little over $6k net after tax credits. Had some older legacy companies want $30k to do my job.

They only communicate via text for the most part, so no casual conversations and touchy feely stuff.

System included nice looking panels with edge dress up panels to make things look a little less erector set. Took 3 months start to finish, getting initial physical man on roof inspection, 1/2 day install, POA approval, City approval, final City inspection and Utility acceptance of the production.

Best thing was 5 minute quote via internet. Sent them my address and Electric bill, and they almost instantly gave me a quote. Much better than having a legacy Solar panel company spend 3 hours at my home to hard sell me on an overpriced system.

I chose a small 12 panel system, that will not pay 100% of my electric bill, but will be super cost effective and have a quick payback.

Feel that electric bills will be going up with the new green administration and wanted to "run my car on Sunshine".

In Socal they are crazy busy right now. Hiring as fast as they can, but still slammed with business. In SoCal electicity bills are high and we get lots of sunshine year round.

I did not get power walls because our utility has been pretty reliable.

Said they were having issues with their source of inverters, so have recently begun making their own.

The minimal interaction with their customer service was not bad. They sent out a tech to fix a current sensor not properly installed in a sub panel, wasn't switched leads either, an antenna issue the original crew didn't do properly.

Cannot charge from grid unless in a storm warning condition. Enphase may be able to from what I know.
The original post was about just a solar system so charging from the grid is not an issue but if the grid is down any GT system from any vendor would be down.
To be clear about your comment and how it would apply to a Powerwall installation, the restriction of charging from the grid is a user choice about whether one wants to take the Investment Tax Credit. Enphase, Powerwall or any hybrid inverter is able to charge from the grid.

Also, OP, if I were you I would ignore any "after incentive" that someone quotes you unless they are going to guarantee those incentives in writing. If you want to compare apples to apples, you need to look at it like you are shopping for a (non tesla) vehicle.

Meaning, compare the price, pre any incentives etc, then
The original post was about just a solar system so charging from the grid is not an issue but if the grid is down any GT system from any vendor would be down.
To be clear about your comment and how it would apply to a Powerwall installation, the restriction of charging from the grid is a user choice about whether one wants to take the Investment Tax Credit. Enphase, Powerwall or any hybrid inverter is able to charge from the grid.

Its not actually a user choice in tesla's case, as they dont give the user a choice. Tesla just "doesnt allow it" (except for one exception we know of, in AZ). Some of us guess that is to prevent individual homeowners from having to "prove" anything related to taking the income tax credit for installing powerwalls. Tesla also likely has a lot more scale than many of those others, so is likely going to be scrutinized more.

If it was a user choice, we wouldnt have all the threads about people "discussing" (complaining) about not being able to charge from the grid except during stormwatch mode with powerwalls.

They all see a world where they fill the powerwall with TOU "cheap" energy, then, since the powerwalls are full, push all solar to the grid (becoming an mini generation facility), and finally, running their home off the cheap energy during peak times, never paying the peak charge that the utility plan has for allowing cheap rates in the first place.

If that was the case, all NEM credits should be at wholesale rates at all times, but thats not the world they see with the above.

Who do I contact to charge from the grid all the time?

ps. actually, the the OP asked for a quote on solar and 2 powerwalls, no?

I got a quote from a local solar vendor. They quoted an 8.1kW solar system with 2 Power Walls. After incentives, it was going to be $35k.

If I check this on the Tesla web site, they are less than $23k post incentives.

I live in Oregon with less sun and cheaper electricity than most places. I can probably make the $23k system work. $35k is not in the cards.

What's the down side of going with Tesla?
We had Tesla install our system in December for exactly what was quoted the day we put the deposit down. I asked the installers and they said it's unusual for the final bill to not be what was quoted. Service is not 5 stars but not terrible either, I would certainly go with them again if I needed two do it over.

Just curious why you are going with Powerwalls? Just for backup/peace of mind? From a financial standpoint, there’s not much of an ROI since we have full net metering here. Additionally, solar drops off so much in the winter here that they won’t do much load shifting for 2-3 months out of the year and won’t be a great backup source in the Nov-Jan months.

If you have a Tesla owning friend, they can give you a referral code which will give you a discount and them a finders fee. (you can also self refer if you are a current Tesla owner)

Tesla took care of all the initial design, permits, approvals, inspections and Utility integration for me as well. It is kinda complicated but they seem to have a pretty efficient internal system to go through all the time consuming paperwork.

They have standard small, mid, large and extra large stock sizing. If you want to specify your panel manufacturer/model, brand of inverter, location of panels and generally get a bespoke system, then you will most likely need to go to another company and pay more $.

While it only took about 4 hours for Tesla to install my system, the entire process can take months. This is not the fault of Tesla, but the buerocracy.

The Fed tax credit was supposed to be reduced this year, but was extended at 26% for 2021.