Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the $200 accessory hitch be added after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on whether the internal hardware is present on all Model X vehicles (even those that didn't order tow package or accessory hitch), which would enable a future upgrade to the accessory hitch? Is there even anyone out there that didn't order the tow package or accessory hitch??? Thanks in advance for any help!

Torque Lift Central Eco Hitch costs $350 or so and does the same as the Tesla hitch. You can get it in inch-and-a-half or two inch. I bought one and put in on my 90D. A friend and I installed it in my garage. It does not have wiring harness, although I would think that could be added fairly easily, and doesn't have software. But for light hauling, it works.

Tesla Pickup.jpg

Reactions: figers
Any update on whether the internal hardware is present on all Model X vehicles (even those that didn't order tow package or accessory hitch), which would enable a future upgrade to the accessory hitch? Is there even anyone out there that didn't order the tow package or accessory hitch??? Thanks in advance for any help!

My OA tells me that with the tow package, there is reinforcement in the bumper to handle the additional capacity. Without it, the hitch has a smaller load capacity. In the manual, not sure if it's outdate or what but what good is the accessory hitch without the tow package?

From manual:
To support the installation of a carrier (such as a bicycle rack) on the rear of Model X, the optional towing package is required. Do not attempt to install a carrier on a Model X that is not equipped with the towing package. Doing so can cause damage.

Interesting, Joe. Thanks! I would be very interested to hear from someone that didn't order either package to see if they do, in fact, have the internal hardware installed but were not supplied with the Bosal adaptor or tow package software. Rob, I have the Ecohitch installed on my MS, but Torklift has not yet released the MX version (they are looking for volunteers though).

Has anyone figured out a way to attach a hitch NOT ordered from the factory? I just bought an inventory X and need the hitch for bikes. Service Center says aftermarket only. but I cant find a solution.. must be.. anyone...