Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model 3 SATNAV count?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
Just over a week ago I left Builth Wells to charge at the Birmingham Hopwood Park supercharger. The first 3 roundabouts The Satnav got it wrong "take the first exit" no! its the second and again and again. Having done about 2500 miles in the last month, mostly on roads I'd never, or rarely, driven on before, I must have been directed the "wrong" way at least a dozen times. Most of those I picked up on early enough to take the correct route. But when you are relying on the Satnav in an area you haven't been before, its VERY annoying.
Anyone else found this?

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I have seen this. On the roundabout near my house it audibly directs me to take the first exit, even though it's very definitely the second exit, and the display shows that correctly. One test I've not done yet is plan a route that would take me on the first exit, to see what that would say.

Andrew

I have only had my M3 LR for a couple of weeks and I find the navigation system very lacking. I am sure it is me getting to use to it but when there are a lots of junctions, I am always taking wrong turns. I have come from using a TomTom sat nav and I found that so intuitive. I am sure I will get use to, in the mean time I am getting a lot more driving in!

It’s quite common for the sat nav to give incorrect audible directions, both at roundabouts and at road forks. Whatever the voice says, I’ve always found the map line to be correct, so you’re best to keep half an eye on that if you can.

We had another interesting glitch on Saturday. We travelled back from Skye, and was stopping at the Glasgow Airport Travelodge for the night to break the journey. Coming from the north the sat nav directed us through the airport pickup lane, and in order to follow the directions we had to pay the £2 drop-off charge at a barrier! :rolleyes:

That's nothing. It told me to go around a roundabout in the wrong direction!
20201005_111739.jpg

It’s quite common for the sat nav to give incorrect audible directions, both at roundabouts and at road forks. Whatever the voice says, I’ve always found the map line to be correct, so you’re best to keep half an eye on that if you can.

We had another interesting glitch on Saturday. We travelled back from Skye, and was stopping at the Glasgow Airport Travelodge for the night to break the journey. Coming from the north the sat nav directed us through the airport pickup lane, and in order to follow the directions we had to pay the £2 drop-off charge at a barrier! :rolleyes:

should of ticked “avoid toll roads” :) to be fair to it since Glasgow airport changed their road layout it’s confusing as hell :) Google maps and Tom Tom both try and send you through the drop off too :)

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I just got my M3LR and seems we still have same issue. Maps showed correct second exit but voice navigation said 1st exit.

Wondering how difficult it is for Tesla to fix? Is there a way to raise service ticket to Tesla to fix this?

I just got my M3LR and seems we still have same issue. Maps showed correct second exit but voice navigation said 1st exit.

Wondering how difficult it is for Tesla to fix? Is there a way to raise service ticket to Tesla to fix this?
I think all their devs are busy right now putting the last few finishing touches to fully autonomous self driving. But I think they will be done any day now and then I am sure they will get right on it.

I visited a quarry on Monday and whilst the sat nav found it, it was determined to send me through a hedge twice where I can only guess an old entrance existed in a dim and distant past. How would it even think a private road was there. You could see that Google thought the road existed on the picture but I'm sure the entrances pre-dated satelites never mind sat nav..