Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive a Tesla and still be a REAL MAN(tm)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is meant to be just for fun...

I just drove my Tesla downtown, used my Boosted Board to get to a building, went into the building to buy BitCoins.

None of these things would have been possible a few years ago... I think that makes me a bit of a nerd. And from what I can tell, there are a few other nerdy Tesla owners out there as well.

Can you still be cool (aka not nerdy) and drive a Model S? If you say "yes", realize that you plug your car in at night. Everyone knows real men pump gas, right?

And if you say yes, do you feel the same way about a Leaf? Because I certainly feel like there is absolutely no way to be cool driving a Leaf, but that's just me.
I tried to edit the post (I have edit rights) but I can't change the thread title it seems.

It should be "be cool" and not be "a REAL MAN". I had changed my mind while writing the post but forgot to change the title.
OK.

Sit down and hold on to your seat, because I'm here to tell you something!

Is it cool to do the right thing?

OF COURSE it freakin is !!!

(Duh!)

I'm kind of amazed you haven't figured that out by now...

…/ Because I certainly feel like there is absolutely no way to be cool driving a Leaf, but that's just me.

Yes. That is JUST you !...

Well, maybe not all in fun, based on that last sentence.....

Owning both vehicles, I'm proud to drive either knowing that I'm making a difference for the planet and for your children.
Ain’t that the truth!

As long as this thread is meant to be for fun....

You're one of those guys who likes to shine his machine
You make me take off my shoes before you let me get in
I can't believe you kiss your car good night
C'mon baby tell me-you must be jokin', right!

Oh-oo-oh, you think you're special
Oh-oo-oh, you think you're something else

Okay, so you've got a car
That don't impress me much

I have a Boosted Board as well.

It didn't have enough range (only 5 miles or so) so I got an Evolve Carbon (10-15 miles).

But, that still wasn't enough range so I got a Mountain Bike with electrical assist (50-60 miles with assist)

Still not happy with range so I gave up and got a Tesla 70D (190 miles or so real world).

If this isn't enough range I'm going to go NUCLEAR!!

Here is your answer ...

camo-tesla-model-s-2.jpg

miranda_and_evan_2.jpg

The OP made me think of this random question:

Is it cool to date Miranda Kerr?

(For the love of everything…) :biggrin: :rolleyes: :confused:

And the very cool gentleman (well hopefully…) is:

.../ Evan Thomas Spiegel (born June 4, 1990) is an American Internet entrepreneur who is the co-founder and CEO of the mobile application Snapchat. /...

Source:

Evan Spiegel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Noticed that the left photo is obviously distorted, which makes Miranda look even thinner than she is. Apologies for that.

Last edited:
Please. No one makes fun of owning a Tesla.

Well, few people do. But I've had somebody yell "Get a real sports car!" (that was shortly after Top Gear claimed the Roadster only went for 55 miles - well, they said that was a worst case, but some people I ran in to definitely took it as a best case) or more recently call me a nasty name as I was sitting at a stop light and they drove through from another direction (so it clearly had nothing to do with my driving). And I've had no shortage of people arguing with me that my car "doesn't work", though that is getting far less common. And a couple of people yelling about how dirty batteries are (I wouldn't call them clean, but I find it hilarious that some people think they are anywhere near as bad as petroleum).

And recently I've run in to a few people that hate Teslas and the people that drive them (to the point of, say, refusing to do business with them - even buying solar panels!) because they are so expensive.

People who make snap judgments on superficial measures are not new, and you shouldn't base what you do on them.

And by the way, if next year's Leaf really offers over 150 miles of range (far enough to get to my Mom's and back even in winter), I very likely will trade my Roadster in for one even if they don't give it a facelift. Sure, the Roadster looks better; but a long-range LEAF would be a better tool for the job.

Last edited:
Money and power are not related to coolness. Have we already forgotten the Fonz?

You can be broke and a nobody and still be cool. Or you can be rich and a movie star and be super uncool. Coolness is innate not acquired.

If you're cool, you can eat quiche in a Leaf and you won't be any less cool. Unless the quiche is not from free-range eggs. That's uncool.

Well, few people do. But I've had somebody yell "Get a real sports car!" (that was shortly after Top Gear claimed the Roadster only went for 55 miles) or call me a nasty name as I was sitting at a stop light and they drove through from another direction (so it clearly had nothing to do with my driving). And I've had no shortage of people arguing with me that my car "doesn't work", though that is getting far less common. And a couple of people yelling about how dirty batteries are (I wouldn't call them clean, but I find it hilarious that some people think they are worse than gas).

And recently I've run in to a few people that hate Teslas and the people that drive them (to the point of, say, refusing to do business with them - even buying solar panels!) because they are so expensive.

People who make snap judgments on superficial measures are not new, and you shouldn't base what you do on them.

And by the way, if next year's Leaf really offers over 150 miles of range (far enough to get to my Mom's and back even in winter), I very likely will trade my Roadster in for one even if they don't give it a facelift. It will be a better tool for the job.
I've not had those experiences with my P85D. The rare negative comments I receive seem rooted in socioeconomic friction.

Guys, comon. Real men drive trucks:

Very funny…

(Puts on my Captain Obvious hat, and steps up onto the soap box...)

That’s what some super-uncool, super-corrupted, super-immoral and super-unethical a-hole who owns a freakin’ advertising agency is trying to con you into thinking.

People who own or work at advertising agencies are basically nothing more but professional liars.

But sure... Occasionally they may get to tell one or a few truths.

That’s not the case here though!

</End_Rant>

Last edited by a moderator:
Please. No one makes fun of owning a Tesla.
Some do. I don't understand them, but they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Since apparently he's forgotten some of Teslive (where I made a request) ...
And by the way, if next year's Leaf really offers over 150 miles of range (far enough to get to my Mom's and back even in winter), I very likely will trade my Roadster in for one even if they don't give it a facelift. Sure, the Roadster looks better; but a long-range LEAF would be a better tool for the job.
"Dibs!" before you trade it in.

- - - Updated - - -

you can eat quiche in a Leaf
Cool imagery.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, comon. Real men drive trucks:
Am I the only one looking at the video poster image thinking "Why would you put your solar panels on the ground and then park on them like that?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... women say this all day long... replusive, these things...

Uh... dude. The Fonz jumped a shark. On waterskis. Don't even try to say he's not cool...

You misread my post. I said the Fonz was cool (tongue in cheek though). It is too bad he jumped the shark though...that ended his coolness but coined a good phrase.

I did state that money and power don't make a guy cool. I'll add to that the ladies too. Just because you can attract ladies (or better yet, gold-diggers) with money and power doesn't mean you are cool. I would think that's a given when we see so many uncool old guys with money, power and young ladies... one current wanabee politician comes to mind... but coolness certainly doesn't.

I'd say given my last two weekends experience, yes, you can still be a man and drive a Tesla:

Weekend #1, disassembled the ass end of my P85 and installed Torklift's EcoHitch. Had to use cool manly tools like a sledge hammer, and a jigsaw. And ramps.

Weekend #2, hooked up my utility trailer, drove over to my electrician's shop and picked up his old, beat up trenching machine (probably weighs over 300 lbs). Its basically a giant chainsaw on wheels. I drove home and then proceeded to create a trench 90' long, 18" deep from my electrical meter around the back side of my house out to my detached garage. Muscled the trencher back onto my trailer, drove to the gas station and purchased $0.75 worth of gas to fill the tank on the trencher (Oregon, so I wasn't allowed to fill it myself), and took it back to my electrician. (Oh and that's the first time I've been to a gas station since May, I think.)

Hopefully sometime this week, my electrician's coming by to install a new 125 amp main panel in my garage. Gotta get something stronger than a 120v 20amp circuit going before winter sets in!