Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada $5000 federal incentive for Model Y?

Do you think Tesla will release a 44,999$ 100 miles base Model Y like they did for the Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
topic mainly for Canadians but feel free to join and discuss.

As many know, Tesla released a $44,999 Model 3 with 150km range available for order in Tesla store only. This was a trick intended to qualify to the Canadian rule that a manufacturer has to have a base car MSRP below $45,000 for any other car of that category to qualify for the $5,000 incentive for the other trim between $45,000 and $55,000.

I heard the SR Model Y delivery was post poned in Vancouver and that might be the Tesla legal team trying to conclude an agreement.

If you have any info, heard any news from Tesla representatives, please feel free to share here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 150km is about 93 miles. Would anyone want to buy a Model Y with 93 miles of range simply to get a $5,000 (about $3,900 USD) tax incentive? What am I missing?

That was just a trick from Tesla. If a model is less than $45k (cad) then all other trims available under $55k are also eligible to the credit.

So Tesla could offer a model Y for $45k (very basic version maybe not even sold), then any other trim of the model Y under $55k would also be eligible for the credit.

• Informative
Reactions: OrthoSurg
That was just a trick from Tesla. If a model is less than $45k (cad) then all other trims available under $55k are also eligible to the credit.

So Tesla could offer a model Y for $45k (very basic version maybe not even sold), then any other trim of the model Y under $55k would also be eligible for the credit.
Yes exactly, it was not intended to be sold.
Just to offer the rebate to the customer for upper trims.

Reactions: cdswm3

Lets hope they fix that in the next budget and make it under 45K with at least 300KM. Nothing being sold now is under 300KM except the Tesla SR in Canada. It will stop the game playing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
Technically, if the Model 3 sr is eligible for the 5k federal rebate, the model y should be too (using the same software locked battery loophole)

I've heard the government of Canada was not happy with Tesla for using this loophole for the Model 3. I can imagine other manufacturers being upset about this too. Who knows, the government may even remove the model 3 from the federal rebate eligibility? I don't think they sold even one of the software locked battery versions

Technically, if the Model 3 sr is eligible for the 5k federal rebate, the model y should be too (using the same software locked battery loophole)

I've heard the government of Canada was not happy with Tesla for using this loophole for the Model 3. I can imagine other manufacturers being upset about this too. Who knows, the government may even remove the model 3 from the federal rebate eligibility? I don't think they sold even one of the software locked battery versions

Yes, technically they would have to release a software locked battery and get the Model Y into the loophole intended to help customers to purchase an EV under 55k, with a basic version under 45k which other car brands dealerships often don’t have in stock anyway.

I don't think they sold even one of the software locked battery versions

Yes, they have sold a few of them. Some here on TMC complain that they don't actually get 150km of range, they thought they were guaranteed to get that much regardless of weather or terrain. Others are upset that Tesla won't let them unlock the extra capacity in the battery...

Yes, they have sold a few of them. Some here on TMC complain that they don't actually get 150km of range, they thought they were guaranteed to get that much regardless of weather or terrain. Others are upset that Tesla won't let them unlock the extra capacity in the battery...
Seriously, paying 44,990$ for a 150km range Model 3 intended to unlock the 5000$ incentive for the SR which is around 2000$ and then complain about it? I will never understand people with magic thinking

Put in my order for SR Model Y a week after its release. Date was getting moved around now it doesn't list a date anymore. Hopefully will get the 5k rebate on top of the BC 3k.
Keep me updated, I wanted to order a SR Model Y 7 seater day one of the release however I decided to way for the 5000$ Federal incentive as I missed it from buying my Model 3 only 2 weeks prior to the incentive. Pais on April 15th and incentive became available May 1st

just received a call from tesla to push my Y SR delivery from the 9th to the 12th. Apparently transport Canada hasn't given them clearance to have them on the road? seems to be why they were pushed initially to the 8th across the country.

This seems to be a more reasonable explanation for tesla to pushout delivery. I cant see them holding sales when customers are willing to pay full price without the IZEV rebate.

I asked about the rebate and they had no information on it.