Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how it is in other jurisdictions, but Hydro Ottawa is essentially controlled by the city.

In Ontario, Local Distribution Companies (LDCs) are incorporated businesses that are regulated by the Ontario Energy Board. In most cases, the city they serve holds all of the shares in the company, but that is not always the case. There are some privately owned LDCs and some public/private partnerships. Canadian Niagara Power that serves Fort Erie was owned for many years by US based Niagara Mohawk, but it is now owned by Fortis. Hydro One's shareholder is the Province of Ontario, and they have been aggressively gobbling up smaller LDCs across the province through acquisition.

Regardless of ownership, there is not a lot the shareholder(s) can do to manipulate situations due to tight regulations, however, LDCs try to be good citizens of the areas they serve and cooperation between cities and electric utilities is usually quite good. After all, these LDCs rely on the cities for the right-of-ways and easements that are required.

Alike any utility company, if you want something like a Supercharger to be built, you first need to pre-engineer the site and then you need city and/or private property right of ways and/or agreements ($$$) in place before you do anything. In the end you can finalize your engineering in order to send to execution.

When I hear that we are waiting for the ground to thaw, does that mean they are at the execution level? If that's the case then somebody would have reported movements with cities, LDCs or private owners... That tells me, they are waiting for the snow to melt to do the site survey. Hence I don't anticipate they be ready in the spring but more like late summer.

So this is how rumors start...NO, I am an electrician and we are currently installing electrical duct banks on our projects,(non Tesla related) the frozen ground is irrelevant.

Same here, where I work we dig throughout winter (winter prices obviously) with no issue. Hundreds of pits, kms of road, roadside excavated to place ducts and cables,.... Subcontractors are finding it tough these days though. Particulary rough winter for them. Back to the topic. Anybody has seen movement/rumors on Supercharger in Canada?

Kingston Economic Development Corporation emailed me back saying they are 'putting the plans together' for 8 Superchargers near the Empire movie theatre near 401 and Division. This a great spot, as across the street is a Boston Pizza and the outlet mall, plus there are more stores going in on the theatre side soon too. It's under a minute from the 401 too. Only bad thing is they said 'should be in place by September'. They also said there will be a grand opening for it.

Kingston Economic Development Corporation emailed me back saying they are 'putting the plans together' for 8 Superchargers near the Empire movie theatre near 401 and Division. This a great spot, as across the street is a Boston Pizza and the outlet mall, plus there are more stores going in on the theatre side soon too. It's under a minute from the 401 too. Only bad thing is they said 'should be in place by September'. They also said there will be a grand opening for it.

Nice work! Better late than never, I suppose.

That would be 316 kilometers from my home, near Hamilton (almost all on the 401). Doable in the summer in an 85. I was anticipating a location between Belleville and Napanee. This would extend range into more of the 'golden horseshoe' population.
SC Location wish.JPG

That would be 316 kilometers from my home, near Hamilton (almost all on the 401). Doable in the summer in an 85. I was anticipating a location between Belleville and Napanee. This would extend range into more of the 'golden horseshoe' population.

Don't forget you can top up at the future Toronto Supercharger... Not ideal for when you are headed to Kingston, but definitely great when heading West from Kingston.

If the Superchargers are very convenient to the highway, and I was passing by one that I didn't really need, I'd probably pop in for 15 minutes anyway. Just for that nice comfy safety blanket. Always good to have extra range for the unexpected.

I think locals will find charging at home much more convenient. At first they will charge there yes, but after a while, sitting there for a half hour or so will get old when you can charge for a couple bucks at home while you sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget if the 2014 planned map is accurate there will be another one in the Trenton/Cobourg area as well. Also Brockville/Cornwall area.

I think locals will find charging at home much more convenient. At first they will charge there yes, but after a while, sitting there for a half hour or so will get old when you can charge for a couple bucks at home while you sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget if the 2014 planned map is accurate there will be another one in the Trenton/Cobourg area as well. Also Brockville/Cornwall area.

Both would also be excellent locations. I'm sure that those with the smaller battery would be pleased with more closely spaced chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.