Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My casual observations at a couple of US sites would indicate that 500 kVA and 750 kVA transformers are common, but then those sites had 6 to 10 stalls as I recall.

Some numbers: New Supercharger Cabinets are 135 kW DC out, shared between two charging stalls (pedestals); The first car to arrive gets all it can drink, and the second car gets what is left over. The chargers have a power factor greater than 0.95 so kW is very close to kVA. The charging modules are about 90% efficient, so 135 kW DC out needs 150 AC in, 135*0.9=135. That means that 4 stalls need 2 cabinets and 300 kVA, max. 6 stalls would need 450 kVA.

Back from my trip to Calgary now, while charging in Golden I took a look at the supercharger map and it seems to me that its planned more in the lake Louise/Banff area rather than Golden. Are there any permits or rumors to what city its planned for? Also where is it said that Squamish will have four stalls? The permit application is for up to 6 as well as the development board at the site. Also the smaller cutouts looked the same size to me and I assumed the double size one was the result of an accidental crack while cutting.
Hi,
My son saw you (I assume) on Thursday the 19th in Calgary. I think he thought it was me (don't think there are any other blue ones in Calgary) but then he saw the BC plates.
I was also trying to figure out where they were putting the superchargers as I will ultimately be trying to get to Summerland and I'm curious as to how I might organize that. I guess if necessary the Sun Country ones in Sicamous could be used for a top up but I'm hoping there will be one around Revelstoke too.

The charging modules are about 90% efficient, so 135 kW DC out needs 150 AC in, 135*0.9=135.

I think you meant: 150*0.9 = 135. :)

I was just charging in California in 40 degree (104 F) heat. The fan noise is substantial. If the cabinets have to get rid of as much as 12 or 15 kW, though, that's understandable!

I think it's funny that Superchargers produce more waste heat than the charger in any other EV can handle!

I think it's funny that Superchargers produce more waste heat than the charger in any other EV can handle!

humm... hello? did you think that with a total number of 7104 cells that are charged from 0 to 265 miles in only under 1 hour would not produce that kind of eat???

plus you mention that you were in Calif @ 104 F I mean give the car/technology a break...

geezzz... :S

I guess if necessary the Sun Country ones in Sicamous could be used for a top up but I'm hoping there will be one around Revelstoke too.

Revelstoke definitely appears to be in the plan, and it is really the only reasonable place to put one in that area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51425&d=1402597344.png

The Drummondville Supercharger page is throwing up "Access Denied" this morning.

I can't recall, does "Access Denied" typically occur before "Coming Soon" or after? Or does it just mean Tesla is working on the page at the moment?

See Canadian Superchargers - Page 75 for my question about this.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/drummondville is redirecting to the sign in page. In the U.S., this usually happens a few days before the Supercharger site goes live, but everyone who has answered my query, claims there is nothing in Drummondville. Who knows???

Last edited:
As much as I want to be excited for Squamish and Drummondville I probably won't use those Superchargers in the next 5 years. There are already several SC's closer to me than Drummondville.

Once there's a SC within my driving range or signs of one then I'll get excited.

Revelstoke definitely appears to be in the plan, and it is really the only reasonable place to put one in that area.
Where does that map come from?
By my estimation, it is only about 246 Kms from Revelstoke to Summerland so that would be perfect though obviously just a tad far to go direct from Calgary to Revelstoke. Not many other options around there though.

Where does that map come from?
By my estimation, it is only about 246 Kms from Revelstoke to Summerland so that would be perfect though obviously just a tad far to go direct from Calgary to Revelstoke. Not many other options around there though.

It was originally relayed to the forum by @doug, from the director of supercharger deployment at Tesla, and posted here: #749

It is really just a more accurate, zoomed up version of what is on the Tesla web site, under the "2014" future slider position.

As the map shows, there will also be another site between Revelstoke and Calgary, probably around Lake Louise.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Robin the manager of the Vancouver Tesla store contacted me to see if we were available for an opening ceremony at Squamish "mid-July". So they are starting to plan. I pointed out the potential conflict with TMC Connect. They are aware of that issue, so hopefully they can get the thing done by the 13th or 14th, before we have to head south to Monterey.

Hi,
My son saw you (I assume) on Thursday the 19th in Calgary. I think he thought it was me (don't think there are any other blue ones in Calgary) but then he saw the BC plates.
I was also trying to figure out where they were putting the superchargers as I will ultimately be trying to get to Summerland and I'm curious as to how I might organize that. I guess if necessary the Sun Country ones in Sicamous could be used for a top up but I'm hoping there will be one around Revelstoke too.

Yup that was most likely me driving around, and I made the trip to Calgary from Squamish and it wasn't hard at all. Check out the Vancouver-Alberta thread, lots of good info in there for doing the trip with no superchargers.

Here is some fresh info, directly from Tesla, to allay concerns about winter driving distances in the Rockies, as well as the issue of having to stop in the National Parks and pay fees. I sent the following email to the responsible manager:

There is one issue that has surfaced in forum discussions about the Vancouver - Calgary route. Your maps seem to indicate that there will be a site in or near Lake Louise. While this is certainly a convenient, well-spaced, and scenic spot, it is also in a National Park. Technically, Parks Canada requires at least a daily park pass ($9.80) if one stops in the park at all. This could become a considerable inconvenience for those who use this route for non-vacationing purposes.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/yoho/visit/carte-pass.aspx [This is for Yoho, but Banff has the same rules]

Perhaps it would be possible to negotiate a specific exception for EV charging. In any case, bears consideration.

And I just received the following response, with explicit permission to share this with the forum:

Thanks for the feedback, Vincent.

We are going to split that out into two sites – one in Golden and one in Canmore – to avoid any range issues along the route.

So... there you have it; Canada gets another Supercharger. Drive distances are shortened in the most mountainous section of the Trans-Canada, and Tesla drivers will not have to stop and pay Parks Canada tolls, unless they are really there to enjoy the majesty!

Tesla is listening; lets give them constructive help and support!

Canmore is great news. It will make it easier to get to the Red Deer SC if you're going to all the way to Edmonton.

Edited: I see Morris shared my concern about that leg. I have an 85 so I would probably be fine from Lake Louise to Red Deer, but it could have been close in poor conditions. Canmore is much better.

humm... hello? did you think that with a total number of 7104 cells that are charged from 0 to 265 miles in only under 1 hour would not produce that kind of eat???

plus you mention that you were in Calif @ 104 F I mean give the car/technology a break...

geezzz... :S

The number of cells has nothing to do with it. It's the heat in the CHARGER that I'm talking about. The charger is in a cabinet behind the wood fence at each Supercharger installation.

The coolant in the car was definitely circulating as well, but only some of the time it seems. Which suggests that most of the losses are in the charger, not in the batteries. (I could be wrong on that, I'm just saying what the observations suggest).

And why the antagonistic reply? I am saying how impressed I am that the Superchargers can do what they do. No, I did not expect that they could produce a device that was 100% efficient.

The number of cells has nothing to do with it. It's the heat in the CHARGER that I'm talking about. The charger is in a cabinet behind the wood fence at each Supercharger installation.

The coolant in the car was definitely circulating as well, but only some of the time it seems. Which suggests that most of the losses are in the charger, not in the batteries. (I could be wrong on that, I'm just saying what the observations suggest).

In round numbers, the AC Chargers which are in the Supercharger Cabinets are about 90% efficient, and the charge/discharge cycle in the battery has about a 3% loss. If we assume that half of that loss is in the charge cycle (1.5%), then when at a full 120 kW DC charge rate, there is 13.2 kW waste heat being dissipated in the Supercharger Cabinet (90%*132kW-120kW) and about 1.8 kW waste heat being dissipated in the battery (1.5%*120kW=1.8kW).

Status
Not open for further replies.