Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the same Squamish crew will be progressing on to Hope, Kamloops, etc eastward after they finish each station? Finish one, then move on to the next. This is similar to what it looked like was happening in Washington and Oregon for about 4-5 stations.

That assumes that the official story line ("it's the permitting that is holding things up ") is completely bogus, doesn't it?

That assumes that the official story line ("it's the permitting that is holding things up ") is completely bogus, doesn't it?

Well, I don't know that that is the actual "official" story line, but I will point out that progress has been pretty swift since the building permit was issued.

May 27, 2014 - building permit issued (#730 )
June 17, 2014 - start of construction ( #796 )
Mid July 2014 - target date for being in service (#931 )

Considering that at least 4 entities (site prep and trenching contractor; conduit installation/mechanical contractor; BC Hydro; and Tesla themselves) have to be co-ordinated, I'd say that this installation was fully planned and ready to go once a permit was issued. There couldn't have been much time lost to waiting on any one contractor.

I would expect that the other BC sites will follow with similar construction timelines; all triggered by the issuing of the required building permits. Whichever (BC) jurisdiction issues a building permit next will get the second BC Supercharger.

Other provinces have their own provincial electrical codes, so don't expect that the installation of a BC Supercharger means that all the regulatory issues are therefore satisfied elsewhere in Canada.

Cottonwood the Magnificent feels strong hope in Hope starting, soon! In addition, he sees a trip to Cornwall that won't be to Land's end, but to a Supercharger coming soon near the St Lawrence.

Thanks for being an encouraging and jovial neighbour to the south. We need the morale boost. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the same Squamish crew will be progressing on to Hope, Kamloops, etc eastward after they finish each station? Finish one, then move on to the next. This is similar to what it looked like was happening in Washington and Oregon for about 4-5 stations.

I was wondering about that and actually hoping for it (there is that Hope thing again). I guess it depends on whether the electrical contractor is regionally-capable or tied the West Van-Squamish-Whistler corridor.

When I was there last night I also took the following photo - The contractor is Alta Lake Electric from Whistler and is sadly unlikely to help with SC installations to the east...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 431
When I was there last night I also took the following photo - The contractor is Alta Lake Electric from Whistler and is sadly unlikely to help with SC installations to the east...
I would expect that the general contractors (site prep / mechanical) and the electrical contractors would be local companies for each (widely separated) site. BC Hydro (or Fortis, depending on jurisdiction in BC) would be involved at each site with local crews. It would only be Tesla and their (contracted BC) engineering firm that I would expect to travel to each site.
The actual installation should be pretty straightforward with only engineering oversight provided by Tesla and an engineering firm familiar with provincial regulations. Commissioning would be done by the equipment supplier (Tesla), though no doubt there will be a few local electrical types jumping at any chance to lend a hand and learn about EV fast chargers.

It'd be nice if they rolled out the chargers with a little more purpose, ie with a charger in Squamish everyone from Vancouver can leave Squamish quickly with a full range charge and go to Kamloops via Lillooet. From there a charger in Kamloops and Golden would make Calgary easily accessible. Its more challenging but definitely the more scenic route to the Okanagan anyways. Thoughts?

Kingston will link between Toronto to Montreal; that will be serving 90% of the Canadian owners right away (if not more)!

I promise that Tesla will be $2,500 richer once they have a supercharger in Kingston :tongue:.

You're damn right! Kingston is the perfect spot (to soothe our immediate needs) in the East part. When that will be setup in Kingston, it will put off pressure from Tesla... for a while... ;)

Montreal and Toronto aren't obviously a rush as people are charging their cars home...

BTW, I noticed you're from Ottawa, I think there are plans to put a SC on the 417 somewhere between Casselman and St-Isidore... we'll see!

Yes, that will be VERY handy for Montreal day trips. Right now the big issue is getting recharged while in Montreal. There are lots of lame 30A (really 24A) chargers all over the place, but only a couple of higher power chargers. (And the one at Boucherville always triggers the back-off to 50A due to low voltage. :cursing:)

Still, the one I'm really waiting for is Kingston.

Yes, that will be VERY handy for Montreal day trips. Right now the big issue is getting recharged while in Montreal. There are lots of lame 30A (really 24A) chargers all over the place, but only a couple of higher power chargers. (And the one at Boucherville always triggers the back-off to 50A due to low voltage. :cursing:)

Still, the one I'm really waiting for is Kingston.

I can see what you mean: I have my secondary place in Montreal during the week (for work) just beside the Place-des-Arts and the charger at Place-des-Arts takes me between 10-12 hours to charge (34 km / hour). Though, thanks that's only 2,50$ flat fee for a complete charge (+ the 10$ parking fee...)...

Chargers from Le Circuit Électrique is really obsolete and I wrote that yesterday to them that they would clearly have to update ALL their network but I'm pretty sure that my e-mail will just go in their Deleted Items very fast... sad to see that they are not taking it as a «challenge» for them to become the best in the EV technology/service/future... :/

As of now, Province of Quebec is REALLY far from being EV owners' paradise...

P.S. I'm not Quebec bashing here as I'm Quebecer and proud of it... but just someone that would like to see them taking the lead and show the world...

- - - Updated - - -

I would bet that the Cornwall Supercharger shows up before Kingston...

As a first SC in the Montreal-Toronto corridor it wouldn't make sense from Tesla:

Montreal Cornwall = 116 km
Cornwall - Toronto = +/- 435 km (not enough, by experience, to make it with one full charge, especially if it's raining or if the pavement is wet... worse when the snow will be there)

The Kingston has to be the one:

Montreal - Kingston = 288 km
Kingston - Toronto = +/- 262 km

My two cents that Kingston will be the next after Squa & Drummondville

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.