Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are busy working today (Sunday) and have begun assembling the hardware that goes in the "cabinet". The picture doesn't show it very clearly but the area where the actual chargers are has now been filled in. I'll keep posting updates as I see them.
3.jpg

4.jpg

They are busy working today (Sunday) and have begun assembling the hardware that goes in the "cabinet". The picture doesn't show it very clearly but the area where the actual chargers are has now been filled in. I'll keep posting updates as I see them.
LOL... I'm surprised we didn't run into each other!

Was surprised to see them there today. I got out to take some pics and they jokingly said, "you going to wait to charge your car?". They said by next Friday they'll be trying to do a "test" if BC Hydro would be ready. He said more likely to be done in 3 weeks or less.

2014-07-06 09.24.24.jpg

2014-07-06 09.24.34.jpg

2014-07-06 09.23.44.jpg

Just a quick note for those looking for a Kingston supercharger update.

I drove this past weekend from Ottawa to Hamilton, and made a quick stop at the proposed (guessed) location at Division and Dalton. There were no large transformers or crates similar to the ones in the images for Squamish. The only construction that was going on was on the south side of Dalton where it appears they're expanding to the mall and creating additional parking. If this is indeed the intended location (appox), I got no sense that installation is near a start. :frown:

FWIW, I spoke with a staff member at the Toronto store about this last week. He was very sympathetic to concerns over lack of infrastructure and cited the oft repeated "permitting delays" as the excuse. When I pressed a bit over what exactly that means, I got the sense it was a "canned answer" that they've been told to convey. What he did say is that they are trying to develop a kind of "template approach" to SC installations and that once the first one is completed, others should follow very quickly. I would have to think that the "template" must be fairly well established by now, and it should be a simple matter to communicate the design parameters to whomever the Canadian contractor is. He also mentioned the Toronto East location was delayed due to electrical capacity issues at the site.

Funny, you'd think that access to adequate power would be one of the main prerequisites for choosing a site...

You'd be surprised by how many people just assume there is adequate electricity supply everywhere for whatever their needs may be. The Supercharger sites I've been to have been fed via a dedicated 500 or 750 kVA utility transformer. The Toronto East facility is in an existing building which likely had its electricity supply sized to the building's own needs. If there is a primary supply and transformer associated with the building, it is likely not adequate for a bank of Superchargers. They may have to replace the building's transformer or install a dedicated transformer for the Supercharger, which may also entail replacing the existing primary lines from the street. There is also the possibility (although less likely) that Toronto Hydro doesn't have adequate capacity nearby to add this amount of load, and needs to reinforce infrastructure on the street.

Just a quick note for those looking for a Kingston supercharger update.

I drove this past weekend from Ottawa to Hamilton, and made a quick stop at the proposed (guessed) location at Division and Dalton. There were no large transformers or crates similar to the ones in the images for Squamish. The only construction that was going on was on the south side of Dalton where it appears they're expanding to the mall and creating additional parking. If this is indeed the intended location (appox), I got no sense that installation is near a start. :frown:

Yes they are adding a whole bunch of box stores and have to do all the plumbing/sewer/electrical for them all, so it's gonna be awhile. I would guess Sept/Oct.

It hasn't started because it isn't starting. Period.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, why wasn't this thought of when they moved into the Lawrence St. location?
Seems everywhere else on the planet, the SC are going in faster than you can say "Liar", but here in Canada there are no plans for SC because Canadians are totally irrelevant to Elon.

The Squamish superchargers will be commissioned by Tesla and Hydro by the end of this week, at least that's what I heard at the service centre today. I just dropped someone off in Squamish so, with apologies to those from the east, here's today's photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 409
The Squamish superchargers will be commissioned by Tesla and Hydro by the end of this week, at least that's what I heard at the service centre today. I just dropped someone off in Squamish so, with apologies to those from the east, here's today's photo.

This means that there is a chance (perhaps Tesla is planning) for a Canadian Supercharger to be #100 in North America!

The Squamish superchargers will be commissioned by Tesla and Hydro by the end of this week, at least that's what I heard at the service centre today.

Sure would be nice if they would accomplish that and hold the opening ceremony this weekend. If so, we will be there! Any later, and we will be headed down the original supercharger highway to TMC Connect in Monterey.

- - - Updated - - -

This means that there is a chance (perhaps Tesla is planning) for a Canadian Supercharger to be #100 in North America!

Small compensation for such a slow and delayed roll-out, but it would be something, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a bit unusual for them to be putting the equipment enclosure right in the middle of the parking lot. Maybe this non-ideal design compromise played into the delays in getting this site approved and underway.

...It is a bit unusual for them to be putting the equipment enclosure right in the middle of the parking lot. Maybe this non-ideal design compromise played into the delays in getting this site approved and underway.
It may look a little odd, but the parking lot is dotted with cinder block enclosed garbage bin areas. This equipment is going right next to a garbage area. Its the brown structure right behind these guys and you can see another one off in the distance by the light pole.

The Squamish superchargers will be commissioned by Tesla and Hydro by the end of this week, at least that's what I heard at the service centre today.

For those of us not down with the lingo, does commissioned = activated/brought online?

...here's today's photo.

Old stall design! I guess that makes sense since they've been in storage for a century or two...:wink:

Commissioning = full testing under all operating conditions to ensure performance meets spec and that equipment responds to faults and failures correctly.

Eg., simulate a high temperature fault to ensure equipment stops andthefault is reported.

Commissioning can go on for a day or more. Then BC Hydro will inspect and issue operating permit if they're satisfied.

I wonder if the same Squamish crew will be progressing on to Hope, Kamloops, etc eastward after they finish each station? Finish one, then move on to the next. This is similar to what it looked like was happening in Washington and Oregon for about 4-5 stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.