Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow it feels almost insulting to keep adding to the Web page when they've not actually installed a single charger yet. Don't get me wrong, the more the better, but let's see fewer promises and more construction.

Hear hear.

My hope is that the holdup is, as surmised a couple of pages back in this thread, related to certification of the equipment in Canada. If that's the case, then maybe they will go full tilt on as many sites as possible as soon as the certification is received.

Or maybe they're just toying with us. If you want to feel insulted, how about the fact that there are (according to supercharge.info) two Supercharger sites in the UK under construction, before any cars are even delivered to the UK?

(While I'm in a negative mood: how many years do you think the Tesla web site will have a "CHAdeMO Adapter" listed that says "Coming Soon"? It's been at least six months so far.)

2 to 4 weeks left from the last promise. So we should see something by the middle or the end of June.

Yeah, ummm, I seriously doubt it. Unless by "see something" you mean the next promise. No one has even found any permit applications in Canada other than the Squamish one, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming:

Grass growing - YouTube

Of course I felt insulted, and pissed by Tesla ......hmmmm, let's put 2 red dots on the map and see what you monkeys says.
Don't forget we are the one who's doing some Model S promotion along the street-sides, parking lots, car washes, shopping centers.
I certainly don't get excited by 2 red dots ........... a famous quote ....... "Read my lips !!! No new taxes" ,

My opinion for what it's worth

1 hope has a location and agreements in place. They actually believe hope will be up before squamish as hope and the owner of the property is pushing to go.

2. I find it tremendously hard to believe the end of 2014 list on the sc page. Remember the excuse about frozen ground! Well what do you think happens in kamloops etc after sept! So that means they need to be done before Sept.

3. Also it pisses me off to no end to scroll through tmc and read "new sc opening..." Over and over and then to see how many are opening in Europe ... And then NOTHiNG for canada! At least get the chademo in our hands and perhaps at a discount ... I don't know but it's frustrating!

My opinion for what it's worth

1 hope has a location and agreements in place. They actually believe hope will be up before squamish as hope and the owner of the property is pushing to go.

Go HOPE! With a supercharger in Hope, my first priority on arriving in Vancouver would revert to what it should be, sushi (rather than finding a four hour charge).

And, if Tesla can get those Superchargers installed in Kamloops and Revelstoke in the next couple of weeks, I could test those out for them before the end of June.

Promises, promises....

3. Also it pisses me off to no end to scroll through tmc and read "new sc opening..." Over and over and then to see how many are opening in Europe ... And then NOTHiNG for canada! At least get the chademo in our hands and perhaps at a discount ... I don't know but it's frustrating!

I'm with you there. Every time I see a Twitter or Facebook posting from TM about a new supercharger in Finland or China or Timbuktu I'll post a response asking "what about Canada?" I think maybe a year ago TM replied to one of these comments and said they were coming "real soon" :cursing:

I can see the frustration is starting to build again.
runaway.gif

2-4 weeks to go per Elon.

Elon just tweeted this in response to question from possibly iKhalid:

@KAlHomoud: @elonmusk Tesla owners in Canada are unhappy. Here is why (please have a look at this thread):
Canadian Superchargers - Page 47

@elonmusk: @KAlHomoud Superchargers in Canada will go live in 6 to 8 weeks. Update on forums shortly.

No one has reported any signs of construction. Time to reset expectations. Fall? Maybe we should start a pool...

Here is another argument for the Canadian Superchargers.

For reference, see List of census metropolitan areas and agglomerations in Canada - Wikipedia for a list of populations of Canadian "Metropolitan Areas." If we use the middle column of Cities and metropolitan areas of the United States - Wikipedia as the equivalent metric for U.S. cities, and merge the two lists, then Toronto is #9 after Miami at #8 and pushing Atlanta to #10. Montreal then merges in at #16 behind Phoenix at #15 and Seattle at #17; remember Toronto pushed the list down by 1.

If we look at the other cities on the merged list, then, besides Toronto and Montreal, Atlanta is the only other city in the top 20 that has been, until recently, disconnected from Superchargers. The Texas folk might argue they are on an island, but it's a pretty big island.

If I were doing the planning, I would link Detroit to Toronto to Montreal, then fill out the New York Thruway, and add connections from Toronto to Buffalo and Montreal to Albany. Maybe there is a Canadian certification thing going on and the damn will burst soon and the Superchargers will start popping up quickly. With Atlanta being well connected by 3 and possibly 4 routes out, Toronto and Montreal should also be connected soon, but who knows...

Good Luck! Just a year ago, there were only rumors of a Colorado Supercharger, and now we are connected on a coast-to-coast route!

If the delay is truly due to some sort of ongoing certification issue and "6-8 weeks" is over-optimistic, then perhaps in the meantime Tesla could hasten the installation of Superchargers in the U.S. very close to the northern border. That wouldn't be so helpful for connecting Canadian cities to one another, but it would at least improve connections to the rest of North America, a step in the right direction.

Also, based on activity on this site, my perception is that per capita Tesla purchases are higher in Canada than in the U.S. (as a whole). If true, that would be another reason to improve Supercharger connections.

hope has a location and agreements in place. They actually believe hope will be up before squamish as hope and the owner of the property is pushing to go.

Hey nleggatt,

Can you please give us some more details. Who is the owner and where exactly is the property? What are the "agreements in place"? Is that with Tesla, with the City of Hope? or some other parties? Have the permits been applied for?

It sure would be great if the Hope one is up and running soon but like everyone else here, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to any Canadian superchargers. But I'm not one to complain. In fact, once it opens in Hope, I doubt it will get very much use. I know it's probably different out east, but the fact that Tesla is even building one in Hope is a plus for me whenever it arrives. I'm sure the European and HK ones will get a ton more use than the one in Hope so that's where Tesla should be focusing their efforts. It's probably different back east though. I'm only speaking of the one in Hope.

My first long road trip next month is down the coast to LA where there's tons of Supercharges on the way and I thank Tesla for that. I am somewhat concerned about whether they will be full on arrival in the middle of July, which something I will likely never have to worry about with Hope, at least for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.