Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sun Country Highway network has pretty decent coverage and is the next best thing to a Supercharger.

I have to respectfully disagree with this assertion. First of all, I love the Sun Country guys, and am installing two CS-100 units in my company's lot. But they are a far cry from a Supercharger.

I recently returned from a Toronto area to Chicago area road trip. My daughter lives about an hour north-west of Chicago. I left her house and drove straight to the Angola IN Supercharger and the charge there actually finished before I finished my lunch. That charge got me to Windsor (with miles to spare). The only charger there was a SCH CS-90 which took about 5 hours to give me enough charge to get home to the GTA. I had to stay at the Windsor hotel on both the way there and back. If the Chatham Supercharger was in place, I could do the Toronto to Chicago trip with only two brief Supercharger stops. As it is now, the trip costs more than it would in an ICE car because of the hotel stays.

It's time we all relax! Well, at least here on the west coast where Squamish has broken ground! I was driving by today and I saw construction other than the Starbucks renovation at the electrical box where i suspected that the charger will be located by. Speaking to some of the folks working there they confirmed that it is an electrical power upgrade for the new charger going in the area, though they weren't sure if it was to be next to the box or where cones were blocking off at the edge of the lot. I'll be driving to Calgary tomorrow though so the next time I can update wont be until next week. I've attached a photo of the digging being done and a link to a panorama of the work area. https://plus.google.com/photos/112846298014778736539/albums/6025989068012031185?authkey=COOe6pPXzIbYDw
IMG_20140617_120521.jpg

I have to respectfully disagree with this assertion.
True dat. I +1'd Mayhemm's original SCH post, but, using superchargers the past couple of weeks ... man, they spoil you!!!!

I still appreciate the CS-90's and CS-100's on the SCH (although I have not yet trip-tested them to actually *feel* the real time impact on a long trip). They are soooooo much better than the thousands of 30A EVSE's out there.

Not to rain on the parade but when they post pictures of breaking ground at other sites, don't we usually see the boxed Superchargers ready for installation? That's what I seem to recall. It also seems kind of hard to install them without the actual Superchargers. I guess breaking ground for the electrical upgrade is at least a start but I'm not sure that really counts as "breaking ground" for installation of the Superchargers. It seems some other ground must be broken for that (since the cables run underground) and from what I read the workers don't even know where that ground to be broken is.

But on the bright side it sure looks like a beautiful day today in Squamish!

A little bird once told me, in a conversation about the much-delayed S/C install, that the supercharger hardware had been sent to Vancouver months ago. Then due to initial delays, they had to move them to a local warehouse for storage. Then as ongoing delays led to longer storage, meaning more cost to store, the hardware was shipped back to Cali. It may still be there, or maybe with permit approval it's en route back to its final resting place in the Greater Squish metropolitan area.

A little bird once told me, in a conversation about the much-delayed S/C install, that the supercharger hardware had been sent to Vancouver months ago. Then due to initial delays, they had to move them to a local warehouse for storage. Then as ongoing delays led to longer storage, meaning more cost to store, the hardware was shipped back to Cali. It may still be there, or maybe with permit approval it's en route back to its final resting place in the Greater Squish metropolitan area.

After being in storage it was cheaper to get it out, truck it back, and then truck it back here again? That seems strange. Even if there is a cost savings, can it really be that much to justify doing that? Perhaps they needed it on another site?

When we moved house just over 2 years ago, we had to put a mini-container of stuff into storage for two months. I was absolutely *shocked* at the price of warehouse storage space in Vancouver! I moved that stuff out as fast as possible so as not to pay for another month! Given that, at the time, there seemed no certain timeline on how long they'd have to store the gear, I can relate.

Finally!!

I hope this speeds up the ground-breaking at other Canadian sites!

I just tweeted my disappointment to the announcement of two more German superchargers... (again). :)

Tweeted too 2 days ago... to Elon Musk + Tesla Motors

Hope we'll have one in Kingston + Drummondville (for the Windsor-Québec corridor) and Burlington, VT to go to Boston! (well I know that I could make it VIA the Albany one but it would add 1 hour to 1h30 more for the trip

Though, that's a great day for all Canadian Tesla owner

:)

Tweeted too 2 days ago... to Elon Musk + Tesla Motors

Hope we'll have one in Kingston + Drummondville (for the Windsor-Québec corridor) and Burlington, VT to go to Boston! (well I know that I could make it VIA the Albany one but it would add 1 hour to 1h30 more for the trip

Though, that's a great day for all Canadian Tesla owner

Well OK then. Canada will have a supercharger (at least one) in July. That is how I voted in Doug_G's poll. Playfully, I say shame on the cynics who thought we would see the snow fly (again) before a Canadian supercharger! :wink:

I really feel that they'll be done by july 1st

My 2 cents

I have to respectfully disagree with this assertion. First of all, I love the Sun Country guys, and am installing two CS-100 units in my company's lot. But they are a far cry from a Supercharger.

True dat. I +1'd Mayhemm's original SCH post, but, using superchargers the past couple of weeks ... man, they spoil you!!!!

Technically, my original statement is still correct. They are the next best thing to Superchargers (however distant that 2nd place may be).

Considering without them I wouldn't be able to travel at all, never mind conveniently. Travel relying on dodgy campgrounds and 120V outlets does not appeal to me. 30A chargers are not much better.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be jumping on the Supercharger bandwagon as soon as I'm able. In the meantime though, I was glad for the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.