Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, here is a response I got after emailing my contact about an update for Ontario locations.
"We are still moving forward on all sites in Ontario - Toronto, Kingston, Cornwall, and Barrie. Toronto hit an unfortunate snag around zoning, but the landlord is clearing that up for us this week, then we'll be in permitting and expect construction to start later this month. Cornwall and Kingston are progressing smoothly with similar timing. We have guys as we speak finalizing contracts at Woodstock and Chatham-Kent area, as well as Buffalo, to open up the routes through Windsor and the Niagara Falls area"

He then goes on to say we may be able to offer support going forward, for example with zoning in Kingston with an email campaign. I told him we would rally the troops soon as he lets me know.
John

"Kingston and Cornwall are progressing smoothly with similar timing". What similar timing? Toronto? And Kingston still needs an email campaign to help with zoning? Seems contradictory. Not sure what to make of that.

Similar timing to each other I would assume.

Toronto and Squamish will be up before them I'd assume.

I wonder how long it takes to build/zone/permit a SC once a contract is signed. (eg. I wonder how soon could Chatham/Woodstock and Buffalo could be online)

"Kingston and Cornwall are progressing smoothly with similar timing". What similar timing? Toronto? And Kingston still needs an email campaign to help with zoning? Seems contradictory. Not sure what to make of that.

The way I read Jgdixon's post was that Tesla MAY need our help in the form of an email campaign IF they run into zoning issues in Kingston, but so far things are going smoothly. Is that right, John?

The way I read Jgdixon's post was that Tesla MAY need our help in the form of an email campaign IF they run into zoning issues in Kingston, but so far things are going smoothly. Is that right, John?

Yes that is correct. My assumption is they didn't want to ruffle any feathers up to now but didn't realize all the red tape they would have to go through. We know they read the forums and the fact that so many of us have contacted them has shown our passion and how upset we are. I think they feel we could potentially be an asset going forward.

Revelstoke definitely appears to be in the plan, and it is really the only reasonable place to put one in that area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51425&d=1402597344.png

From this map, the next site east of Vancouver looks like it is in Hope, BC. Do you think Tesla will start the Supercharger March west from Vancouver by working on Hope next. Anyone looking there?

I wonder how long it takes to build/zone/permit a SC once a contract is signed. (eg. I wonder how soon could Chatham/Woodstock and Buffalo could be online)

That would be helpful for estimating new sites, the Squamish site was approved on May 27th, and ground was broken on June 17th. Soon we'll have a number for the time a supercharger takes to build in Canada, assuming a difference from American ones.

I visited the Vancouver store today and asked about the Squamish Grand Opening since I will be away July 8th-30th. It will almost certainly open while I'm away. Hope is looking like August/September and to my surprise they said that they are trying to open Red Deer this summer. (It still shows as 2015 on the website). Unfortunately Hope and Red Deer are the two least useful Superchargers for the Vancouver to Edmonton route (no need for a full charge at either). At least Hope, as a lonely SC, will be useful for Vancouver to Kelowna.

I'm away on a road trip from July 7 - 22 so I bet I miss the Squamish opening as well. Well, after this road trip at least I'll be able to tell my grand kids about how "back in my day we drove through the Rockies without superchargers!"

Well, that was me, can't wait. 137 miles from the Burlington Supercharger. I hit it with 117 miles range, having left Burlington with 242. This is getting very fun![/QUOTEn

Are you sure those numbers are right? With perfect driving, 242-137 = 106 expected range remaining (you had 11 more) , but you went over some mountains, plus I always use extra range. I would have expected that you'd use a lot more range than 137. Instead you apparently "burned" 11 miles less than expected range.

Status
Not open for further replies.