Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stall are pretty now and pouring concrete appears to be almost done. Got a shot of where the electrical magic is in relation to the parking lot, right next to the garbage bins.
View attachment 53448

This picture is very interesting. The large gray cabinets in the rear are the Distribution Center (a really big circuit breaker cabinet). The squat, grey box to the left, and behind the white Supercharger Cabinets looks like a transformer. This is the first time that I have seen a transformer inside the equipment enclosure. In the U.S., the utility transformer is always outside the Tesla equipment enclosure.

Because Canada uses a 600/346 Volt, 3-Phase standard and the Supercharger Cabinets expect a 480/277 Volt, 3-Phase connection, is this transformer in place to step down the Voltage for the Supercharger Cabinets and in addition to the utility transformer?

Before the equipment enclosure is enclosed, it would be really interesting if someone could take some pictures of any labels, etc on that transformer to further understand its purpose.

Elon does not like leaving large swaths of customers unhappy.

That could very well be the problem. In the grand scheme of things, Canada typically doesn't fit into the category of "large swath" compared to other markets.

- - - Updated - - -

Because Canada uses a 600/346 Volt, 3-Phase standard and the Supercharger Cabinets expect a 480/277 Volt, 3-Phase connection, is this transformer in place to step down the Voltage for the Supercharger Cabinets and in addition to the utility transformer?

Yes, that looks like a dry-type transformer to step the voltage down. BTW, this is not in the least uncommon in other typical electrical installations. Often commercial buildings are supplied at 347/600v 3-phase, 4-wire and dry-type transformers are utilized within the building to supply 120 volt outlets, lights etc. (although 347 volt lighting systems are common in large commercial buildings too).

Yes, that looks like a dry-type transformer to step the voltage down. BTW, this is not in the least uncommon in other typical electrical installations. Often commercial buildings are supplied at 347/600v 3-phase, 4-wire and dry-type transformers are utilized within the building to supply 120 volt outlets, lights etc. (although 347 volt lighting systems are common in large commercial buildings too).

Indeed, our building has 3 phase supply, has 347V lighting, and a transformer near the electrical panel that creates 208/120V for everything else.

Can anyone get a good zoomed in photo of the nameplate on that transformer? Just curious, it'll tell me a thing or two. You should find a plate that lists the primary (HV), secondary (LV), and load ratings like this:

Xfmr.jpg

Can anyone get a good zoomed in photo of the nameplate on that transformer? Just curious, it'll tell me a thing or two. You should find a plate that lists the primary (HV), secondary (LV), and load ratings like this:
Will be up there on Saturday. Hopefully the fencing won't be up yet & I can get hopefully the last construction update. It'll be opened while I'm enroute to TMC Connect. :(

This picture is very interesting. The large gray cabinets in the rear are the Distribution Center (a really big circuit breaker cabinet). The squat, grey box to the left, and behind the white Supercharger Cabinets looks like a transformer. This is the first time that I have seen a transformer inside the equipment enclosure. In the U.S., the utility transformer is always outside the Tesla equipment enclosure.

Before the equipment enclosure is enclosed, it would be really interesting if someone could take some pictures of any labels, etc on that transformer to further understand its purpose.

BC Hydro installed what I was told was a new transformer about 50-60 feet to the left of the photo and wires were run under the pavement to where Tesla's boxes are.

BC Hydro installed what I was told was a new transformer about 50-60 feet to the left of the photo and wires were run under the pavement to where Tesla's boxes are.

Yes, that will be required at every Supercharger site. Typically a 500 or 750 kVA utility-owned transformer to supply enough power. The issue with the dry-type transformer in Tesla's enclosure is likely to transform the utility voltage to a level that the Supercharger equipment needs.

I'll swing by the site today and ask them that, and see if they'll let me take a picture of the label as well for KenN. I honestly live less than 5 minutes away haha.

I'll swing by the site today and ask them that, and see if they'll let me take a picture of the label as well for KenN. I honestly live less than 5 minutes away haha.

Mostly curiosity for me, too. I am guessing that they will use a "Buck" type transformer because it only needs about 1/4 of the kVA of a full transformer (70/277). Buck-boost transformer - Wikipedia I am basing my guess on the relatively small size of that transformer, and Tesla wanting to save some money on iron and copper.

We are pleased to announce the first Canadian Supercharger Station in Squamish, BC is now open. This is an important milestone and we could not have done it without the help of our owners and supporters. We encourage your continued support by writing, emailing, or calling utility companies and local government kindly letting them know how important Supercharging is for you and local communities.

We continue to push forward to ensure that the major Canadian routes on our 2014 map are enabled as quickly as possible.

- Eastern Canada:
o Priority routes: Toronto – Montreal, Montreal – Quebec City, Toronto – North Bay (via Barrie)
o Our first site in Toronto will break ground in July, and we’ll push this through construction as fast as possible.
o Cornwall, ON is on schedule to break ground shortly thereafter. Other sites will open throughout the Summer depending on permit and utility company timing.

2014-07-11_1801.png

- Western Canada:
o Priority routes: Vancouver – Whistler, Vancouver – Banff, Calgary – Edmonton
o Squamish, BC, our first Canadian Supercharger site, is now open.
o Hope, BC is poised to move quickly, pending utility company support. Other sites will open throughout the Summer depending on permit and utility company timing.
o Target sites have been selected for the remaining 4 sites along the Western Canada routes and we are now into the utility and site design phase.

2014-07-11_1802.png

As we navigate through zoning, permitting, and utility company processes, we continue our policy to communicate firm timing and locations once we and our partners are sure a site will be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.