Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone get a good zoomed in photo of the nameplate on that transformer? Just curious, it'll tell me a thing or two. You should find a plate that lists the primary (HV), secondary (LV), and load ratings like this...

...Before the equipment enclosure is enclosed, it would be really interesting if someone could take some pictures of any labels, etc on that transformer to further understand its purpose.
Not fenced yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 450
Not fenced yet!

Thanks for the info. This makes perfect sense.

By using a "buck" transformer wired as an "auto" transformer, even though the power handled is 750 kVA, only 150 kVA is "transformed." Physically, this means that the transformer has 20% of the iron and copper, and is about 20% of the volume and mass of a more general, isolated transformer; also, it should cost about 20% as much. In linear dimensions the cube root of 0.20 is 0.58, so the the linear dimensions of that transformer are roughly 58% of the utility transformer.

For the nerds, here are the numbers: All three phases are the same, so let's look at the H0-H1/X0-X1 arm. The Voltage between H1 and X1 is 69 Volts, between H0/X0 and X1 is 277 Volts, and between H0/X0 and H1 is 346 Volts. The max current into H0/H1 is 722 Amps. The max current into X0/X1 is 902 Amps, but that comes from 722 Amps from the coil towards H1 and 180 Amps from the coil towards H0/X0. This means the kVA in the H0/X0 to X1 coil is 277V*180A/1000=49.86 kVA, and in the X1 to H1 coil is 69V*722A/1000=49.82 kVA, matching within rounding error. 3 phases times 50 kVA is 150 kVA total; 150kVA/750kVA=(600V-480V)/600V or 20%.

Last edited:
What firmware are you on, Doug? If you're on v5.9, is there a chance this could be remedied in v5.11?

Last test of Boucherville was on 5.9. However, every version I've tested on since they brought out the "anti-UMC-plug-fire" mod hasn't worked properly at Boucherville. I've complained about it multiple times. It also backs down at our office sometimes due to Ottawa Hydro source variation.

From what I can see their algorithm has a fixed threshold, which doesn't take into account the fact that single-phase sources are 240V and three-phase sources are 208V. All it takes is the voltage being a little lower than typical (quite commonplace) and it false triggers at the drop of a hat. At work we have about 200V and it false triggers regularly. At home I have 238V and it's never once false triggered. Clearly the algorithm is a bit "dumb" about the source voltage.

I've suggested that they NOT use this overly sensitive algorithm for 70A/80A chargers since they do NOT use plugs; they are wired in directly. I've also suggested they look at the open-circuit voltage as a starting point, rather than having a fixed threshold.

It's pretty frustrating; the only truly fast charger I can use in Montreal is crippled by this. It adds at least an hour to my stopover, which is already long because of the low voltage. It's sort of the un-Supercharger feature - it makes you spend an extra hour sitting there waiting for it.

If they cannot find a suitable midpoint on 417, maybe they should consider the 50. Except, the NAV system doesn't think 50's complete and suggests some ridiculous reroutes if you take that path between Laval and Gatineau/Ottawa.

That would be quite acceptable.

GPS behavior on the 50 can be pretty hilarious. My Garmin freaks out - as far as it could tell I was flying over open fields. Whenever I crossed a street going at right angles it would have me driving on that road for a bit and then whoosh off into the abyss again. Kept giving really weird directions. Pretty funny.

The dot is placed on the 417 between Casselman and St-Isidore... this could be the junction of 417 and road 138 (road from Cornwall to the 417)... I would be happy to have one there as it's only 45 km from home... But Kingston SC is a priority for sure for the MTL-TOR corridor...

Kingston is key. That's the Supercharger I (and many others) really need. Given the ongoing construction of big box stores at that location I have doubts that it will appear anytime soon.

@Vcanucks, what kind of charge rate did you get out of it, and were you low in charge upon starting? I am wondering if this equipment is the newer 135kw chargers or if it is older lower power from being in storage forever. Thanks.

I highly doubt that Squamish has 90 kW Supercharger Cabinets. We know it is connected to 480/277 Volt service from the transformer label earlier, and Tesla has not shipped 90 kW limited Supercharger Cabinets for a long, long time.

I highly doubt that Squamish has 90 kW Supercharger Cabinets. We know it is connected to 480/277 Volt service from the transformer label earlier, and Tesla has not shipped 90 kW limited Supercharger Cabinets for a long, long time.

Could they not be 120kW cabinets though? I believe those have been in use the longest. 135kW ones are still pretty rare and the Squamish equipment had been in storage for a long time.

Could they not be 120kW cabinets though? I believe those have been in use the longest. 135kW ones are still pretty rare and the Squamish equipment had been in storage for a long time.

Yes, but the only way to tell a 120 kW Supercharger Cabinet from a 135 kW is to plug in 2 cars to the same cabinet (e.g. 1A and 1B) and look at the combined power. So far, a single car can accept at most, 120 kW.

@Vcanucks, what kind of charge rate did you get out of it, and were you low in charge upon starting? I am wondering if this equipment is the newer 135kw chargers or if it is older lower power from being in storage forever. Thanks.

I was 5km short of a daily charge when I plugged in unfortunately, it was mostly for the picture. As soon as I can get the battery depleted I'll post a km/hr and kw reading however any other ways to see if it's a 120kw or 135kw cabinet without having a second tesla on hand? I'm assuming it was the folks up for the VEVA drive I saw after I left heading towards it, sadly I missed you by about 5 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.