Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if the answer if already in this thread, but has anyone heard about progress on the Red Deer SC? I was at the Vancouver service center (getting a new drive train) yesterday and they mentioned that Red Deer would be running soon. I'm assuming "soon" is relative to Kamloops, Revelstoke etc.

The Supercharger Progress wiki has information on upcoming superchargers gleaned from TMC and TM forums. Tesla claims that sites have been selected for all promised western Canada superchargers. Red Deer is perhaps ahead of some of the others, with Tesla claiming a targeted completion date of September 1st (but of course don't bet the farm on that).

Guys
More news from my contact, seems promising. This is the response to an email and then a follow up email.

"We are pushing hard on Barrie (and Woodstock and Comber), as well - current estimated completion date is 9/12, but we expect to bring this in to late August. There will be some local government interaction in Barrie - 1-2 weeks for zoning and 1-2 weeks for building permits, so please feel free to reach out to any contacts you may have there."

"Thanks for reaching out again. Things are actually really picking up in Ontario (finally)!
Barring any major unforeseen circumstances, we will break ground in both Toronto and Cornwall this week with expected 3 - 4 weeks of construction - Toronto will be on the faster side. Kingston had a more complicated utility design that has gated our submission to the city, which is scheduled for the end of this week. They (the City of Kingston) have been supportive - if we see any issues arising in Kingston I will let you know asap."

For Kingston, what does that mean, "gated our submission"? Delayed? And what would be more complicated for the utility? They are doing the mall expansion so they should be running all new lines anyway.

Why isn't anyone responding to this?

- - - Updated - - -

With nothing happening on the Canadian Supercharger front except for Squamish, I don't anticipate we will see chargers in Ontario until the Fall of 2015!
Thanks Kathleen Wynn. I didn't vote for you by the way.

The Supercharger Progress wiki has information on upcoming superchargers gleaned from TMC and TM forums. Tesla claims that sites have been selected for all promised western Canada superchargers.

For Eastern Canada, it's odd that the wiki has Belleville as "permitting completed" and Chatham-Kent as "lease negotiations almost finished" when those locations aren't even on Tesla's "End of 2015" map anymore.

For Eastern Canada, it's odd that the wiki has Belleville as "permitting completed" and Chatham-Kent as "lease negotiations almost finished" when those locations aren't even on Tesla's "End of 2015" map anymore.

Tesla itself was the source of the information in both cases, but obviously what happens next at those sites is anybody's guess. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to update the wiki if there is any new information.

And what would be more complicated for the utility? They are doing the mall expansion so they should be running all new lines anyway.

The Supercharger sites I have visited (which is to say, just a couple) have a utility-owned 500 or 750 kVA transformer (with utility metering) supplying the Tesla equipment. Fairly straightforward. The only complication I can think of may be in getting the utility primary lines (that feed the transformer) to the point where they want to install the Superchargers. In other words, maybe the utility supply to the site is at the opposite side from the Superchargers and there are some complications in running underground ducts.

Yes, complications meaning securing utility easements. The utility needs a legal easement right to the location of their transformer, which means negotiating with the property owner for a legal property easement. Which, depending on how inexperienced the property owner is, or how much of an ******* the owner's lawyer is, can take a long while as we have found out in some US locations.

Yes, complications meaning securing utility easements. The utility needs a legal easement right to the location of their transformer, which means negotiating with the property owner for a legal property easement. Which, depending on how inexperienced the property owner is, or how much of an ******* the owner's lawyer is, can take a long while as we have found out in some US locations.

Geez... 20 years from now we'll laugh at how hard it was to get a SC when there will be thousands of SC worldwide!!! We are making history guys... (and gals)

Yes, complications meaning securing utility easements.

Well... not necessarily. I'm sure it varies by jurisdiction, but here in Ontario, utilities usually only ask for easements when they need to cross right through private property. In the case of a service installation, a demarcation point is established and anything on the customer's side is the customer's responsibility. It can be at the property line or at the point where the service attaches to the distribution system.

Well... not necessarily. I'm sure it varies by jurisdiction, but here in Ontario, utilities usually only ask for easements when they need to cross right through private property. In the case of a service installation, a demarcation point is established and anything on the customer's side is the customer's responsibility. It can be at the property line or at the point where the service attaches to the distribution system.
The problem is that it is better to put the utility transformer close to the actual Supercharger hardware. That is usually in the middle of a parking lot, not right along the street where the existing easements are, probably for aesthetic reasons. That means that new utility easements are pretty common for Supercharger installations, at least in the States.

The problem is that it is better to put the utility transformer close to the actual Supercharger hardware. That is usually in the middle of a parking lot, not right along the street where the existing easements are, probably for aesthetic reasons. That means that new utility easements are pretty common for Supercharger installations, at least in the States.

Right. And the same thing is true in Ontario, Canada (i.e. putting the transformer near the load) but I guess the difference is that a demarcation point is established and the cable running on private property is customer-owned. The transformer would remain utility-owned with a simple agreement for the space it occupies.

And i still fail to understand why Tesla didn't do their homework two years ago when the Model S first came out. They should have been all over the Ontario govt re zoning and permits back then instead of now.
Everywhere else in the world where they've launched, Superchargers were ready the day the first car was sold!
I put the blame for this debacle equally on the Wynn government and Tesla.
I do a lot of driving between cities and I'm disgusted that I have to have 3 hour lunches or dinners at Best Western's. Total waste of time!

- - - Updated - - -

I travel the 401 constantly and we were told the network of Superchargers would be in place before the summer season.
Here we are in August and still nothing. I am really upset and disappointed about this debacle and Tesla is to blame for not doing its homework two years ago as far as Zoning and permits go in Ontario.
Why is it that everywhere else the car has launched, the SC network was already up and running?

Why are they so coy and not informing us of their progress? Are they ashamed that they possibly realize that Ontario will NEVER ever see a Supercharger and that they feel they will lose sales if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.