Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question like that: what was the rationale for putting the SC in Drummondville? Why not in Québec city?

IMHO, Drummondville SC is too close to Cornwall (229 km)
and WAY to close to Montréal (103 KM)

Québec city would have been the winner with a 377 km from Cornwall... unless Québec city becomes a «coming soon 2014-15»
http://goo.gl/maps/aBIhL

Actually, Drummondville is a little too far from Cornwall, but not by much; Québec city would be way to far away. See Supercharger Situation in 3-5 Years? - Page 2 for my arguments on why Superchargers should be no more than 215 km (133 miles) apart on level ground.

Or we can just unsticky this thread and let it die. Discussions about specific superchargers can be head in the relevant thread over in the Charging Infrastructure Subforum, or in the Canada section...
The problem here is that we're mainly looking for routes, not specific chargers. So an individual in Calgary might be interested in the progress of the Calgary -> Vancouver route, but doesn't want to have to remember exactly which chargers are now planned (it has changed at least once already) and check a bunch of different threads for each one, they just want to know the general state of the whole route.

A split east-west does make sense though, as there's no way to take a supercharger route through between the two at the moment, and none in the plans yet either (though I really think there should be)

Jwhat was the rationale for putting the SC in Drummondville? Why not in Québec city?

IMHO, Drummondville SC is too close to Cornwall (229 km)
and WAY to close to Montréal (103 KM)

I think Drumondville being more or less halfway between Montreal and Quebec city (130Km from west island Montreal and 150Km from QC)serves that route well. It allows you to travel the route, in winter and have sufficient charge to also drive around the destination as well. The route, in the winter, can be done without a stop but it can get a bit tight depending on temperature and weather conditions so having this midway can enable anyone to stop 15 minutes and take any anxiety away.

Actually, if I type "Calgary to Toronto" into google maps, it picks a route through Montana, North Dakota, Minneapolis, south of Chicago, then over to Canada at Sarnia as the preferred route (3533 km). A revised route to the upcoming Bozeman, MT supercharger, then along the previously described route that's already supercharged is 3678 km. That's an additional 145 km, and all good highway. The challenge is getting to Bozeman from Calgary.

Calgary, AB to Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Yes, and I did highlight that hole in my previous post. From Bozeman onwards, it's all supercharged until one crosses back into Canada.

Patience is the watchword. We have one operational in Canada, one permitted and two under construction. A few more we know will fall into place shortly after that. Red Deer and Canmore (or thereabouts) are in the works. I expect a wave of new SC stations north of 49 over the next (guessing) 6-8 months.

Actually, Drummondville is a little too far from Cornwall, but not by much; Québec city would be way to far away. See Supercharger Situation in 3-5 Years? - Page 2 for my arguments on why Superchargers should be no more than 215 km (133 miles) apart on level ground.

Agree, Tesla had said that SC location would likely be 80-130 miles apart which makes the most sense especially for 60s and for 85kWh, you can pass a SC or use as safety net. That's what I call a real charging infrastructure.

Which means someone from Alberta, though technically "connected" to the route, would add over 2000km to their journey to drive to Toronto... It's hard to call that a connection...

But, but, but,... doesn't everyone from Calgary have a "cabin" in Canal Flats, BC? :wink:

On a serious note, it seems unlikely that Tesla will work on a cross Canada Supercharger Route anytime soon. Might be more productive to petition for Superchargers south of Calgary to connect to the I90 route.

Last edited:
But, but, but,... doesn't everyone from Calgary have a "cabin" in Canal Flats, BC? :wink:

On a serious note, it seems unlikely that Tesla will work on a cross Canada Supercharger Route anytime soon. Might be more productive to petition for Superchargers south of Calgary to connect to the I90 route.

How about:
High River (it's not IN Calgary. 204 km from Red Deer; 164 km from Canmore)
Lethbridge (151 km from High River. Also serves Hwy 3)
Shelby (102 miles from Lethbridge, or maybe Great Falls (187 miles from Lethbridge))
Helena (171 miles from Shelby; 88 miles from Great Falls; 68 miles to Butte; 98 to 146 miles to Bozeman depending on route).

Depends somewhat where the I90 supercharges end up.

Patience is the watchword. We have one operational in Canada, one permitted and two under construction. A few more we know will fall into place shortly after that. Red Deer and Canmore (or thereabouts) are in the works. I expect a wave of new SC stations north of 49 over the next (guessing) 6-8 months.

I agree completely! There are also many Canadian Superchargers going in south of the 49th Parallel. Even Drummondville is south of the 46th Parallel... :biggrin:

Just a question like that: what was the rationale for putting the SC in Drummondville? Why not in Québec city?

My answer would be one word: Ottawa.

Cornwall is out of the way if you're going between Ottawa and Québec city, and it's (way) too far between the two cities to make it on one charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to both of you! This MTO dataset of annual average daily traffic on Hwy 401 in 2010 is amazingly detailed! [..]

You're welcome. Thank you for all the effort you put in to enter the data into a spreadsheet. It's awesome to see it as a graph like that!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree completely! There are also many Canadian Superchargers going in south of the 49th Parallel. Even Drummondville is south of the 46th Parallel... :biggrin:

Cue the standard comment about the southern part of Ontario being south of the northern part of California...

If you compare the length of the day at the summer or winter solstice between Vancouver and Toronto you'll see that the difference is noticeable. I think it's about a half hour.

Where did you hear about Canmore? I ask because I hope it's not true, a SC in Golden first would be much better for immediate use of the Vancouver<->Calgary route.

Little bit here in this thread, little bit from the SC progress wiki (Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum). Mostly piecing discussions together. I'm by no means suggesting that I know or even think that Canmore might be happening before Golden. Canmore, Red Deer, Hope, Golden, Revy and Kamloops all seem to be on a similar timeline.

Of course, in Canada, coordinating with the utilities is a different experience with each province, so I expect BC sites will move faster than AB sites. At least until after the first AB site goes live!

Tesla opening a 45 000 square feet sales/service center in Montréal... does that mean that it'll be like Toronto one and we'll get SC station right in MTL? If it's the case, halleluia!!! I'll avoid to charge at my COSTLY Ontario countryhouse (+12,57 cents kw/h).

Tesla frappe un grand coup Ã* Montréal | André Dubuc | Automobile

translation for my fellow friends:

California electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla Motors luxury is about to strike a blow to Montreal.

The company was founded in 2003 by Elon Musk will open its first real store in Quebec on ​​Ferrier Street, taught La Presse Affaires.

The building of approximately 45,000 square feet is located in the vicinity of the Orange Julep, west of Decarie, in the borough of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. It would, we are told, one of the most important points of Tesla service in North America.

According to our information, Tesla will spend over a million dollars to develop the site for his taste. With the work of this magnitude on the agenda, the opening can not be done until the final months of 2014 or early 2015.

An email to the press service of Tesla in California was not followed.

In an article published March 31, 2014, La Presse Affaires, who visited the headquarters of Tesla in Palo Alto, wrote that an outlet would open in Montreal this year. But the secret was to be maintained until the last minute, nothing would be announced before the signing of a lease in good standing.

«Natural association»

Tesla moved with pomp in Quebec makes sense. The province is connected, as we know, over vast hydroelectric resources that are his pride. The provincial government also leads an ambitious electric transportation.

Tesla is the automobile manufacturer of the day. Its Model S, which ranges from 0 to 100 km / h in 4 seconds, a hit with Hollywood stars. Consumer Reports called the car "almost perfect" and awarded the mark of 99%. Publicly traded, the action of the manufacturer (TSLA,) sells for 78 times earnings in 2015.

There are at July 31 about 250 Tesla vehicles registered in Quebec. The starting price of the Model S - over $ 70,000 - for the time limit sales in the province, but they are likely to take off when the model of "third generation", which should cost of 30,000 to $ 40,000, will appear around 2017.

In Montreal, the selected building has hosted in the past a Chrysler and previously an Infiniti dealership. The garage has a dozen workstations, commonly called service bays, and features an indoor garage to house vehicles in stock. The exhibition hall will be used to showcase their new vehicles like the X model, four-wheel drive.

During our site visit Thursday, employees of the National Demolition company were working to thin out the garage.

Since last December, Canada's largest Tesla facilities are located at 1325 Lawrence Avenue East in Toronto, a former Lamborghini dealership 17,000 square feet.

«An exceptional business»

Revolutionary company with its stations superchargers able to recharge 50% of battery in 20 minutes soon spread across America, Tesla has a distinct business model. Its sales are mainly through internet and not through dealers. The stores are mostly used to put his models on display and invite customers to test drive.

Its outlets also more like an Apple store than a Ford dealer. Tesla readily installed in shopping centers upscale. In the City-Queen, the automaker has settled in Yorkdale Mall, in a room of 2,500 square feet facing Apple and Microsoft stores. He also access on the highly sought Robson Street in Vancouver.

In Montreal, the company chose to approach the upscale neighborhoods of Mount Royal, Hampstead, Côte-Saint-Luc, Outremont, Notre-Dame-de-Grâce and Westmount. Tesla is also not the only seller of luxury cars in the neighborhood. Board side of Decarie at this height, the average motorist can choose between Mercedes, Jaguar and Rolls-Royce.

Since the end of 2012, Tesla temporarily operates a small service center on the Boulevard des Laurentides, Laval, where it is possible to carry out road tests by appointment. We have not been able to speak directly to a representative Tesla, Renaud-Pierre Bérubé.

His deputy has confirmed that customers who passed an order had to wait three months before taking delivery of the object of their desires. She said that the Montreal store will not open until 2015.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.