Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove with a friend of mine from Calgary to Vancouver and back in his Bolt this fall. Here are some of the power usage numbers compared to my Model S. The S numbers are from a run I did in the summer and driving faster than in the Bolt. Total one way trip time in the S was 12 hours. I think we were well over 14 hours in the Bolt. There were a few legs where we had to be stingy with the cabin heat in the Bolt just because there is not much reserve unless you spend extra time charging to 100%.

Model S / Bolt
Calgary->Golden 54 / 51 kWh
Golden->Revelstoke 27.5 / 25
Revelstoke->Kamloops 40.7 / 35
Kamloops->Hope 42.5 / 35

Hope->Merritt 31.2 / 29.8
Merritt->Kamloops 18 / 17.1
Kamloops->Revelstoke 40.3 / 35.6
Revelstoke-> Golden 28.4 / 31.9
Golden->Calgary 48.3 / 45.8

The fast DC chargers worked well but with only one available at each stop we were lucky to be the only ones using them.

Was wondering about a trip from Southern Ontario to Calgary next June. Looks like no problem to Butte, Montana or even to the Tesla Chargers in Helena, Montana. But looks like there is only one J772 between there and Lethbridge, Alberta in Great Falls, Montana. Do any people have experience driving from Calgary south into the US?

I'm thinking of driving my Model X to Vancouver Island for the first time. Does anybody know if the Falcon Wing Doors can open on the Nanaimo and Schwartz Bay ferries? I'm afraid the ferry ceiling will be too low, or that the doors will hit a pipe. Please post any experiences.

I'm thinking of driving my Model X to Vancouver Island for the first time. Does anybody know if the Falcon Wing Doors can open on the Nanaimo and Schwartz Bay ferries? I'm afraid the ferry ceiling will be too low, or that the doors will hit a pipe. Please post any experiences.

IIRC, the lowest clearances on the car decks is ~7ft. If that is too low for you to open the doors, you can specify when you reserve a crossing in advance on the website that you need clearance >7ft and they will put you on one of the decks with the RV's and buses. It costs the same, you just need to select it when booking.

• Informative
Reactions: rainforest
Have been on Schwartz bay ferry there was no problem in opening the FWD. I was on the regular
Deck and not with RV's.
Avoid parking if you see anything low ceiling. I was early to board and chose to park in a safe spot.

But when you get on the ferry, you can’t pick and choose which spot you want to park at. So how were you able to select your parking spot?
You are right., can't pick and choose.
I requested the the person who guides you were to park, the spot I preferred, and they obliged. Could open up one door enough for the kids to get out.
Enjoy your trip don't worry about low ceiling of the ferry . You will figure it out. There have been many model X's on those ferries.

You are right., can't pick and choose.
I requested the the person who guides you were to park, the spot I preferred, and they obliged. Could open up one door enough for the kids to get out.
Enjoy your trip don't worry about low ceiling of the ferry . You will figure it out. There have been many model X's on those ferries.

Just don’t want to hit the ceiling and regret it for the whole trip.

IIRC, the lowest clearances on the car decks is ~7ft. If that is too low for you to open the doors, you can specify when you reserve a crossing in advance on the website that you need clearance >7ft and they will put you on one of the decks with the RV's and buses. It costs the same, you just need to select it when booking.

I just went on the site, and you are exactly correct. Thank you! I will book over 7ft just so I can relax.

As this is a Canadian Trip planning site, has anyone have recommendations for Trip from Toronto to PEI in coming summer? This is going to be our first long distance trip in our new Model 3 LR AWD.
Planning to be travelling for max 2 weeks with two kids (8 & 2 year olds).
would luv to know from friends who has already undertaken this trip and would like to share their experience?
thanks in advance

As this is a Canadian Trip planning site, has anyone have recommendations for Trip from Toronto to PEI in coming summer? This is going to be our first long distance trip in our new Model 3 LR AWD.
Planning to be travelling for max 2 weeks with two kids (8 & 2 year olds).
would luv to know from friends who has already undertaken this trip and would like to share their experience?
thanks in advance
I made a trip from Ottawa to PEI going thru US in last August. I had to charge at St.Stephen, 5 kings restaurant for free 1.5 hrs 48A. and 3 super charging at Magog, Bangor and Aulac 50 Min each. In PEI I used 110v plug at the cottage while we were out on the beach in Cavendish.Now the trip is doable thru Canada as well. Tesla just lately opened two more superchargers in New Brunswick.

From Montreal : Quebec city, Rivière du Loup, Saint Leonard, Fredericton, Aulac and you have enough to go to PEI.
Make a stop in Shediac, beach is nice and water is warm !:)
Saint Leonard Fredericton is well within your range.
Levy SC is located near a big grocery store and a bunch of other stuff.
Rivière du loup isn't that exciting. No much around. If you want to stop in Drummondville, there is a big mall. Saint Leonard d'Aston, a Saint Hubert a Mc Donald. Fredericton is a big stop. That's all I know...