Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling order for existing inventory vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this? I ordered SR+ but really truly wanted performance, and two of the configuration I want popped up into existing - am I able to cancel and secure one of those? Or can I switch my existing orders config to performance and they can match? How does this work.

Has anyone done this? I ordered SR+ but really truly wanted performance, and two of the configuration I want popped up into existing - am I able to cancel and secure one of those? Or can I switch my existing orders config to performance and they can match? How does this work.

What @ropogigio724 said... and be prepared for the fact that those cars you see "in inventory" may not actually be "in inventory"

Seriously???? Ugh!!!!

They could be, but they also could be in transit to somewhere, and not actually there... or someone could have already bought one and it doesnt show yet, etc. This isnt any different than any other MFR btw. Checking online at places like cars.com or something while looking for a specific trim of vehicle (non tesla, so basically any other manufacturer), will many times show vehicles that are not there.

Using a BMW specific example (i am very familiar with that brand), many times, even a customer specific ordered car direct from the factory will show up "in inventory" for the dealer that the person ordered from.

If / when someone calls to try to buy it, however,. they will be told something like "Oh sorry that one is already sold, but I have this other one that......."

Tesla doesnt do that, but they sometimes list vehicles that are "in transit" to someplace (or destined to end up someplace) as "in inventory" when they are not at the location they specified yet.

Your salesperson can see whats actually there, however, so whatever you do, do NOT cancel your current order. talk to your salesperson and tell them you are interested in XXX vehicle you see online in teslas inventory. If it actually exists, and you can have it, they can move your existing order to that car. Whatever you decide to do on this front, do not cancel your existing order unless you no longer want a car and are ok with losing your deposit.

Yes, I've done it a couple times. Your SA can "marry" you to the Inventory car. However, if the Inventory car is highly desirable due to discount, low inventory altogether, etc., you might not want to incur the potential time delay required for your SA to lock things up. So, in that case just go ahead and pay the $100 deposit fee and then, through your SA, cancel the original order. You will likely lose your original $100 deposit but that is typically worth it to snag the Inventory vehicle.

Other things to note -- inventory vehicles can be brand new, demo / test-drive cars, showroom cars, or cars used by Tesla employees. They will come with a new vehicle warranty, the same 7 day 1000 miles return policy, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
They could be, but they also could be in transit to somewhere, and not actually there...

I've actually noticed some cars on the inventory search that listed "In Transit" as a location and no mileage stated, so it looks like they are taking this into account.

So, in that case just go ahead and pay the $100 deposit fee and then, through your SA, cancel the original order. You will likely lose your original $100 deposit but that is typically worth it to snag the Inventory vehicle.

Is the order deposit only $100 in the US? Here in Canada, it is $2500 (whether custom order of inventory car), but it is fully refundable.

I've actually noticed some cars on the inventory search that listed "In Transit" as a location and no mileage stated, so it looks like they are taking this into account.

Is the order deposit only $100 in the US? Here in Canada, it is $2500 (whether custom order of inventory car), but it is fully refundable.

$100 in the US, non-refundable. $2500 but fully refundable (would need to see the terms) is fantastic, but I bet you guys don't get a lot of Inventory (esp. discounted) opportunities.

$100 in the US, non-refundable. $2500 but fully refundable (would need to see the terms) is fantastic, but I bet you guys don't get a lot of Inventory (esp. discounted) opportunities.

Very few discounted, although there is a very nice white on white M3P sitting in Montreal right now at close to $3000 off and 1200km.

Inventory is not bad at all, there are about a dozen in Ottawa right now, mostly SR+, since those are the only models eligible for a subsidy (the limit is $55k CDN).

For the New M3 Inventory in my area, if it has more than 50 miles, it looks like Tesla discounts the price $1 per mile. I have seen many with over 1,000 miles but still sold as new. Not sure why anyone would want to buy one of those; especially, since the discount is negligible.

For the New M3 Inventory in my area, if it has more than 50 miles, it looks like Tesla discounts the price $1 per mile. I have seen many with over 1,000 miles but still sold as new. Not sure why anyone would want to buy one of those; especially, since the discount is negligible.

Yes...Tesla has some unusual "rules" when it comes to discounting. It can be so hit or miss. I got my P3D+ with a nearly 11K discount because it had 1600 miles on it. Prior to pulling the trigger on that one, I had a deposit on a car with 162 miles that was like $3500 off. But in general, you are right that the discount is nominal and not worth it unless you really don't want to wait for "your" car.

Yes...Tesla has some unusual "rules" when it comes to discounting. It can be so hit or miss. I got my P3D+ with a nearly 11K discount because it had 1600 miles on it. Prior to pulling the trigger on that one, I had a deposit on a car with 162 miles that was like $3500 off. But in general, you are right that the discount is nominal and not worth it unless you really don't want to wait for "your" car.

That is a really good deal.

Based on the current inventory in my area.. $1,600 is the default discount and then some for miles over 1,600 (Only best guess). There are 6 Brand New M3 P models in the Los Angeles Area.. some of them are so tempting.

2020 M3 SR+, Red, White, 19" Sport + FSD: $48,860 (1,610 miles) ---New with same config is $50,490: Difference of $1,630

2020 M3 LR, Red, Black, 18" Aero + FSD: $55,390 (905 miles) --- New with same config is $56,990: Difference of $1,600

2020 M3 LR, Red, Black, 19" Sport + FSD: $56,610 (1,393 miles) --- New with same config is $58,490: Difference of $1,880

2020 M3 P, Black, White, 19" Sport + NO FSD: $56,990 (<50 miles) --- New with same config is $56,990

New vs used is a legal definition, not an indication of how many miles. "new" vehicles still qualify for all new vehicle rebates, even if they have miles on them.

New vs used basically indicates whether the car was sold to an "end user" customer. New = never sold to an end user... but could have been used as a demo car, etc. Basically never titled to an end consumer.

used = titled to an end consumer.. even if the person drove it home 1 mile from the delivery center with 12 miles on it, let it sit there for a few days, then returned the car, so that it now had 14 miles on it, that car would be "used".

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
That is a really good deal.

Based on the current inventory in my area.. $1,600 is the default discount and then some for miles over 1,600 (Only best guess). There are 6 Brand New M3 P models in the Los Angeles Area.. some of them are so tempting.

2020 M3 SR+, Red, White, 19" Sport + FSD: $48,860 (1,610 miles) ---New with same config is $50,490: Difference of $1,630

2020 M3 LR, Red, Black, 18" Aero + FSD: $55,390 (905 miles) --- New with same config is $56,990: Difference of $1,600

2020 M3 LR, Red, Black, 19" Sport + FSD: $56,610 (1,393 miles) --- New with same config is $58,490: Difference of $1,880

2020 M3 P, Black, White, 19" Sport + NO FSD: $56,990 (<50 miles) --- New with same config is $56,990

Aren’t all these figures before taxes? My confg was the same as the first SR+ without the FSD and it came out to be 47k after taxes. I get that with private party’s is a bit different.

So I’m trying to get them to marry me to a vehicle but they are claiming they are unable? Anyone experience this?

What @ropogigio724 said... and be prepared for the fact that those cars you see "in inventory" may not actually be "in inventory"

Yes, as I mentioned previously in this thread, be prepared for the fact that cars you see may not be available.