Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot afford the X with all the options. Thinking cut the AP 2.0...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't order AP on purpose. 95% of my trips is urban commutes where AP is a complete waste of time.

However I am seeing what Tesla can do with full autonomous driving, if they can deliver on that front I'll happily pay the $9k activation fee, but for me personally paying $5k for just AP is a total waste of money.

I just ordered a Model X 90D. I spoke to a sales rep Tesla sales today who said that self driving now turns on all 8 cameras while AP with self driving only uses 4 cameras. He said AP 2.0 work more reliably with 8 cameras than 4 cameras. My sales rep in Scottsdale does not agree with this. Has anyone heard anything about the 8 cameras vs 4 cameras making AP 2.0 more reliable?

I just ordered a Model X 90D. I spoke to a sales rep Tesla sales today who said that self driving now turns on all 8 cameras while AP with self driving only uses 4 cameras. He said AP 2.0 work more reliably with 8 cameras than 4 cameras. My sales rep in Scottsdale does not agree with this. Has anyone heard anything about the 8 cameras vs 4 cameras making AP 2.0 more reliable?

All info after the underlined is deemed unreliable, Lol.

Reactions: stagnator37
The Rep is talking about the information found on the Tesla website where you order (design studio) - there it describes the four vs eight cameras. It does mention that AP2 with 4-cameras is more reliable than AP1 but nowhere does it indicate that FSD activation would increase AP2 reliability.

If $3-5k is a deal breaker on a $80-100k car then skip all together. These threads hurt my head. If $3-5k even comes up to make or break being able to afford the car then you can can not afford it either way.

+1000 I could not agree more!! If you still really want the car, I would advise going the CPO route. You will save a boat load money. Depreciation is a wonderful thing...

Reactions: Fiddler and bonaire
I am on the rim of buying Model X. But the price is really high if I add many options.
6 seater is a must otherwise I would go Model S.
Also I want to have the $1000 climate control.

Then here come the AP and thd Full self driving. Without AP it is meaningless . But that's $5000. Fine.
Full Self Driving is an option that I can install later for $4000 instead of doing it for $3000 now. However, as you know,
the actually activation date is unknown, maybe end of 2017. It doesn't make sense to have it now.

So what do you think?

What's your typical car spend and how long do you keep them? Sometimes, if you have to ask questions regarding costs, you're paying too much for personal or family budget principals. Have you considered attending Financial Peace University? We've seen many people come through TMC who "stretch" to "get into a Tesla". I often wonder how they are doing 1-2 years after purchase...

Reactions: Fiddler
My sense is that the full self driving is essentially a waste of money at this point. As of now, there's no committed activation date and beyond that, I don't think they're anywhere near clearing the regulatory hurdles necessary to have this be fully operational. The rules on this will be so fragmented and jurisdiction-specific that even if it is allowed in some places (individual states, or maybe even at a lower level within individual cities/municipalities), I think we're potentially years away from having broad-based acceptance to be able to really use the fully autonomous features. Save your money.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
For those concerned about regulations, consider this. Even if (in the rare case) regulations never allow fully autonomous driving (which is very unlikely since all indicators point to improved safety), Tesla could still roll-out full AP2.0 features, but force the driver to be aware at all times (like they do now). The car will basically do everything itself, except transfer responsibility from driver.

If $3-5k is a deal breaker on a $80-100k car then skip all together. These threads hurt my head. If $3-5k even comes up to make or break being able to afford the car then you can can not afford it either way.

To be fair to the OP, he(?) didn't say it was a deal-breaker.

I can relate to OP. Like him, I can afford this car, but to me, like him, $1000 is not nothing. When I recently ordered the Model X, I went through all the options with a fine-tooth comb and weighed them carefully against their cost. I took the trouble of getting a friend's referral link to save $1k. I didn't think any of the colors currently offered were worth the extra expense, so I went with black.

I think the OP is perfectly sensible in weighing extra expenses that have questionable benefit, and reaching out to this community for second opinions make perfect sense. If these threads make your head hurt, it's a bit like the exchange "hey doc, it hurts when I do this" - "well, then don't do that". There are plenty of threads with other topics on this forum where your input may be useful.

To answer OP's question, I ordered the full self driving right away, despite being cost conscious. I figured I would want it when it comes out anyway, so I'd rather say $1k by ordering it now.

To be fair to the OP, he(?) didn't say it was a deal-breaker.

I can relate to OP. Like him, I can afford this car, but to me, like him, $1000 is not nothing. When I recently ordered the Model X, I went through all the options with a fine-tooth comb and weighed them carefully against their cost.

THIS.

I too am fortunate enough to be able to afford this car. And like @Trnsl8r said, $1k isn't small change to me. $20 isn't small change to me. We all draw individual lines that we aren't willing to cross when it comes to luxury goods. So for me and my family, sure we could have afforded the P100DL. But for us, the P was excessive, and therefore exceeded out set budget for this car.

With regard to paying for the Full Self-Driving Capability- we decided not to activate this option, because the information on the website clearly states that regulatory approval is needed, and anyone living in the US knows that things like this flow at glacial speed. If miraculously self-driving cars become legal in 4-5 years, and we haven't traded our X in, then sure, we'll consider paying the activation fee.

Now- should Tesla enable as of yet announced capabilities short of full self-driving, available only to those who coughed up the $3k from the beginning, then I'll call bullsh*t, point out false advertising, and request all 8 cameras be activated for $3k (instead of $4k).

To me, one of the marvels of Tesla is Enhanced Autopilot, therefore I paid for it. I would absolutely not consider one to be foolish for buying a Tesla without EAP. That's an entirely personal decision.

Best of luck on your decision making process, and remember, at the end of the day, you'll still be in a Model X, one of the safest and most badass-looking SUVs on the planet (in my humble opinion) :D