Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Pair Phone as Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope so. No fob means no Model 3 for me, most likely. Does anyone know if it would it be possible to develop a third-party fob? I know nothing about the underlying tech, so I don't know if I should hold out hope for that possibility.
I doubt a third party key fob would be possible without support from Tesla. The Model X and newer Model S fobs use Bluetooth just like your phone, so it’s highly unlikely there is some other form of communication a fob could use on the 3 (other than NFC, but then your limited to the exact same capabilities as the key card). Without an internet connection and a way to run apps the pairing process would be more difficult. There would have to be a way to get the encryption keys on the fob which only Tesla can provide.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
This. Plus, there must be something about my wallet, but cards don't last long. I get a few months out of mag stripes, tops. Chips last a little longer. I would have to keep a card in a cover on a lariat or something. It's just enough of a pain that I don't want to deal with it.
I have the same issue with cards in my wallet. Not all of them, but the ones I use the most. You might be ok with the key card though since you shouldn't actually need to take it out of the wallet, it should work fine through the wallet. So the lack of constant in and out should help it last longer.

Yes, tried rebooting the car, rebooting phones, re-installing the app, forgetting and re-connecting the bluetooth pairing... all no dice.

We are connected through the app, but the only thing not working is Phone Key. Must be an issue with my car or something with our phones.
Same here. Android 7.0 LG G6 . On top of it, my other bluetooth connected devices no longer communicating with the phone - gps watch won;t autoupload etc.

The Bluetooth for phone calls/music is different compared to the Bluetooth for phone key.
I am having issues with both - phone key and bluetooth in the car. It seems that the app is also messing with my other bluetooth connectons such as gis!ps watch and bluetooth speakers. It won't always connect or pair with my phone for calls/music either, regardless of whether phone key is set up /connected or disconnected. Sometimes I see 'phone key disconnected" , sometimes "phone key is not set up", when I know I did not delete it! How could it become "not set up"? If I try to set it up again (which not always be successful) and go under "keys" on the screen in the car, it will show my phone multiple times as different keys, neither of which will connect/operate correctly. I tried deleting the app, the keys, resetting my bluethooth /network setting on my phone, erasing bluetooth cache on my phone, rebooting multiple times. It is totally random. Even if one step works once, it will eventually disconnect or go back to one (or more than one of the above) the problems with no guarantee that the same trick will fix the issue again . I am totally cool with not having phone key as an option until they fix everything, BUT it want the app not to interact with my other Bluetooth connections right now! I do not want to delete the app, because I want to know, if the car is locked or unlocked - sometimes it is easier to unlock the car from my phone with a click of the icon rather than looking for the card in my purse. Cannot wait for them to fix all of th

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_14-33-41.png
    upload_2018-3-15_14-33-41.png
    732 bytes · Views: 43