Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Pair Phone as Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bswn1

Feb 13, 2016
CA
Just took delivery today, experienced an issue that won't let us pair our phones to the car as a key.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it isolated to just us? Were told it was a Tesla wide thing, but not sure if that's true or not.

Paired my iPhone X with the car yesterday at the delivery center. I made the mistake of placing my phone where you place the Tesla card which actually opened Apple Pay.

But after that had no trouble.

Which part of the process is failing? Or just the final part in the app?

We also paired Bluetooth in the car after making our phones keys.

I have the same problem with my Android Samsung Note 4. Multiple techs called over at delivery, tried updating the app, updating Android OS, rebooting the phone, turning on and off bluetooth, reopening the app, all no go. Bluetooth connects to Tesla fine for media. Wife's newer Samsung paired as a key on the first try. Plan to fiddle with it more myself or else have the service center look at it when I take the car in.

bswn1, can you "see" that you car is registered in your app? On some Teslas, when the car is not enabled or registered under the new owner's account, they can't "see" the car info in the app. This means Tesla has not finished configuring the car to your account and you do not have permissions to the car.

Yes, tried rebooting the car, rebooting phones, re-installing the app, forgetting and re-connecting the bluetooth pairing... all no dice.

We are connected through the app, but the only thing not working is Phone Key. Must be an issue with my car or something with our phones.

Ours paired fine, iphone 7's, though the car had to show up in our account first. It doesn't matter if the phones are paired to the car via bluetooth. Mine wasn't bluetooth paired (for music) to the car yet, but I was able to set the phone as key.

Yes, tried rebooting the car, rebooting phones, re-installing the app, forgetting and re-connecting the bluetooth pairing... all no dice.

We are connected through the app, but the only thing not working is Phone Key. Must be an issue with my car or something with our phones.

I assume that there are going to be a lot of compatibility problems with Android phones. Especially older ones. This is one of the reasons that I hope they start to offer FOBs that people can purchase if they want to.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I assume that there are going to be a lot of compatibility problems with Android phones. Especially older ones. This is one of the reasons that I hope they start to offer FOBs that people can purchase if they want to.
I hope so. No fob means no Model 3 for me, most likely. Does anyone know if it would it be possible to develop a third-party fob? I know nothing about the underlying tech, so I don't know if I should hold out hope for that possibility.

Why a fob? Why not just use the wallet card key?

Because with a fob, you could presumably leave it in your pocket/purse, while you need to swipe the current access card on the B pillar for access.

Personally, I’m ok with either method. While I prefer the keyless access with the use of the fob on my current Leaf, it’s not a hard requirement for any replacement vehicle. I’d almost equate “No fob means no Model 3 for me” to “I won’t work at Widget Co because their security system requires that I wave a badge at the door reader for access to the building”, but if it’s that important to you, be sure to let Tesla know that’s part of your decision tree.

Because you can't open the trunk/frunk with the card. Because I don't want to have to get the card out of my wallet everytime I want to unlock/drive/lock the car.
This. Plus, there must be something about my wallet, but cards don't last long. I get a few months out of mag stripes, tops. Chips last a little longer. I would have to keep a card in a cover on a lariat or something. It's just enough of a pain that I don't want to deal with it.

Reactions: MP3Mike