Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot remove charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the instructions, you only have to have the key fob nearby and you press and hold the button on the connector to release. For some reason mine just turns blue, but will not release. If the car has the AC on, then when pressing the light is green (since the car is pulling power), but it does signal the HPWC to stop as you can hear the switch in the HPWC turn off. But no combination, press and hold, one press etc .. allows the connector to come out.

I should not have to fish the key out of my pocket to unlock the car to do this, nor should I have to walk up to the front to get the handles to "present themselves" then walk back to unplug.

From Page 85 "Note: to prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charging cable, Model S must be unlocked or able to recognize a key before you can disconnect", does the charging port do its own key recognition, or is the fact that I have the tech package which only recognizes when I am at the drivers door the issue?

[edit] I am on V 5.9 "106" software, P85+ with almost all options.

Essentially the charge port follow the unlock rule; if the doors aren't unlocked, then neither is the charge port.

One 'hack' I've heard people use is to nudge the hatchback button before releasing the charge cable.

Hmm, just did another test, this time with the charging cable not initially plugged in. I just approached the car when it was locked and it recognizes the key when I press the charging cable button as it opens the charging port, so it knows the key is there, I tried it with the key out of range and it does not open the charging port. So I guess they should change the manual and say "unlock the car" instead of "recognize key" if you want to remove the cable.

Hmm, just did another test, this time with the charging cable not initially plugged in. I just approached the car when it was locked and it recognizes the key when I press the charging cable button as it opens the charging port, so it knows the key is there, I tried it with the key out of range and it does not open the charging port. So I guess they should change the manual and say "unlock the car" instead of "recognize key" if you want to remove the cable.

Do you have auto present handles turned off? I do, and I usually touch the driver door handle before I unplug the car. If auto present is on, I bet you could unplug the cable.

The manual isn't completely wrong; the author just forgot about an edge case.

Do you have auto present handles turned off? I do, and I usually touch the driver door handle before I unplug the car. If auto present is on, I bet you could unplug the cable.

The manual isn't completely wrong; the author just forgot about an edge case.

I have autopresent on, but interesting that I can unlock and open the charging port without the handles presenting, I guess anyone can go and pop charging doors without the key then. (correction on above, it seems I can pop the charging port with the car locked, just press the button on the HPWC, no key needed anywhere nearby).

I have autopresent on, but interesting that I can unlock and open the charging port without the handles presenting, I guess anyone can go and pop charging doors without the key then. (correction on above, it seems I can pop the charging port with the car locked, just press the button on the HPWC, no key needed anywhere nearby).

If the car is locked it will not release the cable. Note- handles in (not presented) does not equal locked.

It does not need to recognize the fob for the cable to open the charge port... As I found out at a supercharger opening. I popped open the charge ports of the two cars on either side of mine (they weren't charging yet, obviously). It's only necessary to unlock the pin to allow it to disconnect. I agree, there is definitely a "dead zone" near the rear of the car for fob detection. Luckily, since I carry mine in my purse I just swing my purse toward the drivers door to unlock the cable!

If you keep your fob in a pocket, you could just unlock the car with it manually rather than "do the dance." I can see it being more of a pain if it's in a purse though.
Oh ya, the manual says "key recognized" not "key present" so technically it is not wrong.

This is one of the most annoying things about my daily interaction with my Model S. I walk up to the back of the car to unplug (so that I do not have to walk ALL the way around the car) and it refuses to give up the charge cable unless I unless with the fob... but the truck will open. Just does not make sense to me.

The other edge case is the unlock charge port button in the app...

To get it to work... hold the button on the charge cable, then click unlock charge port in the app. It will unlock and you can remove the cable.

If you do not hold the button on the charge cable first, the app button would make the charge port quickly turn white and go back to blue and locked.

I guess you might as well just unlock the car with app rather than just the charge port. I'd rather the charge port just unlock with proximity of the key. The car lets you open the trunk so why not the charge port! If you don't trust people to mess with the cable you shouldn't trust people to not mess with the trunk.

Sometimes if it happens, it is counterintuitive but I push the charger into the charge port with some force. I think sometimes the apparatus that locks the charger into the port gets hung up and pushing in helps release it. Then push the button again if the port light is not light blue, and try removing it again.

Reactions: brkaus