Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around 15K I had the reverberating humming noise about 65mph, fixed by replacing the motor. Now I'm at 28K and have had the high-pitched whine under acceleration (even very low acceleration) for some months. It's been getting worse and is annoyingly loud now. Am on the verge of calling the service center. In Feb it wasn't bad enough to ask them to analyze/fix it. Now it is :(

Mine goes under the knife today for the low speed/load whining. Around 25k miles, it started as a very faint noise that I could only hear inside a parking garage with the window open. 3k miles later, it's audible inside at low, constant speeds. When accelerating/decelerating you can't hear it. The Dallas SC is so packed with deliveries and maintenance, they don't have the room to repair the drive unit and will be swapping it. A P85+ as a loaner is nice, though.

Mine goes under the knife today for the low speed/load whining. Around 25k miles, it started as a very faint noise that I could only hear inside a parking garage with the window open. 3k miles later, it's audible inside at low, constant speeds. When accelerating/decelerating you can't hear it. The Dallas SC is so packed with deliveries and maintenance, they don't have the room to repair the drive unit and will be swapping it. A P85+ as a loaner is nice, though.

Seems almost identicle circumstances. Did they say what the problem might be and the end result if they did not address it? I feel slightly like mine is not being taken seriously because of the costs/time associated with getting a drive unit shipped and installed. Not to say in any way that I feel my service center wants me to be in a break-down situation. Maybe that they just havent seen too much of this particular issue yet.

Seems almost identicle circumstances. Did they say what the problem might be and the end result if they did not address it? I feel slightly like mine is not being taken seriously because of the costs/time associated with getting a drive unit shipped and installed. Not to say in any way that I feel my service center wants me to be in a break-down situation. Maybe that they just havent seen too much of this particular issue yet.

I was told there are two different noises that have two different problems. An SC tech rode with me and identified the sound right away. She said it was a bearing misalignment and they have a procedure for fixing it. Unfortunately, the Dallas SC doesn't have the space to perform the repair (they are jam packed!) so I waited for a replacement drive unit. I was assured the problem wasn't serious and was given the go ahead to take my Dallas-Nashville trip until the replacement unit came in. I'll know in a few hours how it went.

Yep, me too. I noticed that whirring sound (sorta like sharpening a knife or a bunch of cicadas) right after my journey into stiff headwinds where I averaged nearly 420 wh/mile from Salina KS to Limon CO. I only stopped to Supercharge, so I am wondering if prolonged high electric usage can exacerbate or initiate this problem.

Another ominous sound that I just heard for the first time was while I supercharged at Manteca. The noise emanated from the front of the car (it was not the higher-pitched sound of the cooling fan.) The noise was a low droning sound like a buzzing hornet. The moment I terminated Supercharging by depressing the on-screen button, the sound waned as the delivery of electricity ebbed. I wonder if there is a bearing or water pump issue with the fan.

The Fremont Service Center wants to look at my car. The concierge says this is a known issue. She told me that they would be contacting me in mid-June to arrange for pick-up, but the car was safe to drive in the mean time.

My March 2015 build just started doing it, right around 8,000 miles. The sound is there at low speeds and either disappears or moves to an inaudible frequency around 25-30 mph.

FWIW, the whine appeared at the midpoint of a 2,700 mile road trip that I'll be posting about separately. My driving had been prolonged, but was very sedate, as I was attempting to test the predictions from EVTripPlanner and driving at or below the speed limit and with very mild acceleration. In fact, this car has been driven very moderately otherwise, so I don't think spirited driving is a factor in this case.

This is a different whine than the "balloon squeal" that happens to some vehicles while accelerating quickly (I'm familiar with that sound). This happens with very slight acceleration and is absolutely associated with throttle position: Nudge the throttle and the whine appears. Back off the throttle and the whine disappears.

I'll contact the service center about this because I also noticed that the rear passenger's window gets stuck and doesn't want to roll up about 50% of the time.

Last edited:
The service center was not able to fix the drive unit as they had hoped and instead replaced it. As a stockholder, this is worrisome. It appears that a lot of cars have this whine. If each unit needs replacement ever 20-30k miles, the cost could be massive. I trust that they will soon have a relatively inexpensive fix.
My car's developing the same problem around 20K miles. I'm going to wait until it gets worse, by which time hopefully they'll have a proper fix for it. It sounds like they're slowly narrowing in on the causes.

As a stockholder: Yep, it is going to cost a large portion of the warranty reserve. But sincle they seem to be able to rebuild them, it will probably be manageable, though that's a *lot* of drivetrain repairs.

Last edited:
Elon talking about a million mile power train is like Elon talking about Autopilot... or the Model X... or basically anything. Very little that comes out of his mouth is actually true at the time he says it. Elon uttering the phrase "million mile power train" made me snort my tea. I'd love for it to be true, but he's more accurate about the threat of AI than anything he says about the Tesla power train.

For Tesla to be exploring a "million mile power train" tells me that they are very well aware of the fact that they have a big problem on their hands with the drive units. Four distinct problems in the drive units that keeps recurring even with remanufactured units - drone above 65 MPH, clunking noise, milling noise, and high-pitched electrical buzz under 25 MPH. Any drive unit can develop any of these issues and in any combination. Tesla has been saying for two years now - since my first DU replacement in 2013 - that they are rolling out fixes. Really? How long does that take, because I've been hearing that story for two years now.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Tesla has no idea how to fix these issues. If they did, the remanufactured units would not exhibit these same problems - some within minutes of being installed and driven off the lot. The replacement DUs are obviously not being tested for these issues and the remanufacturing process does not roll any fixes into these products. In my opinion, anyone getting a DU replacement should insist on a brand new unit from the factory. That's what I received in February and so far it has been the best of the bunch.

Elon talking about a million mile power train is like Elon talking about Autopilot... or the Model X... or basically anything. Very little that comes out of his mouth is actually true at the time he says it. Elon uttering the phrase "million mile power train" made me snort my tea. I'd love for it to be true, but he's more accurate about the threat of AI than anything he says about the Tesla power train.

For Tesla to be exploring a "million mile power train" tells me that they are very well aware of the fact that they have a big problem on their hands with the drive units. Four distinct problems in the drive units that keeps recurring even with remanufactured units - drone above 65 MPH, clunking noise, milling noise, and high-pitched electrical buzz under 25 MPH. Any drive unit can develop any of these issues and in any combination. Tesla has been saying for two years now - since my first DU replacement in 2013 - that they are rolling out fixes. Really? How long does that take, because I've been hearing that story for two years now.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Tesla has no idea how to fix these issues. If they did, the remanufactured units would not exhibit these same problems - some within minutes of being installed and driven off the lot. The replacement DUs are obviously not being tested for these issues and the remanufacturing process does not roll any fixes into these products. In my opinion, anyone getting a DU replacement should insist on a brand new unit from the factory. That's what I received in February and so far it has been the best of the bunch.

This guy right here, again.

I'd like to add that I don't think anyone at Tesla, Elon included is being intentionally deceptive when they make these statements. I'm sure in a test environment somewhere, there is a drive-train going on 500k miles and beyond. And auto-pilot / drive assistance is another example. I'm sure back in November, their software was 90% done and it looked like a solid deal. But even Elon admitted recently that the cameras were having trouble with reading lines on the road. And these are the same types of lines on the road that they were having trouble reading 9 months ago. It's a game between keeping people/media/investors engaged and producing a quality product. Trust me when I say your ownership will be a lot happier if you just accept things as fact when they happen, instead of when they are announced.

That being said, the real world experience for owners is that around a magic 20k mile marker, something in the drive-unit is having issues. I had only narrowed it down to three issues as in my reading, I lumped together the milling noise and the drone above 65mph. But I will say the high-pitched buzz sounded a lot like a milling sound as it got progressively worse.

Another viewpoint to look at is if the above symptoms really do lead to catastrophic drive-unit failure. If not, then one could argue that if the symptoms are only aesthetic (still not acceptable), then a drive-train could make it to 500k miles, or 1 million miles, albeit noisily. But I doubt that's the case since the symptoms are a sign something in the drive-unit is undergoing a change from in-spec to out of spec.

The electrolysis bearing issue might be addressed by really expensive ceramic bearings, however maybe it is just more cost-effective to rebuild every 20-30k. I don't know. But there is a non-monetary cost to those rebuilds in the form of inconvenience to the owner that should be accounted for as well. Then imagine if it got out to the media that Model S requires a rebuild of the drive-unit every 30k? Or even if there was a suspicion that was the case. I mean, there goes your appearance of reliability in a superior drive-train and along with it, your stock price. It's no wonder they say they've found a fix.

I don't know what the solution is, but I agree we should allow for the possibility it hasn't been found yet; despite claims to the contrary over 2 years. The proof is in the pudding, and some owners are on drive-train number 4. You also have to realize that just because a new drive-unit comes out, doesn't mean the old stock gets thrown away. I think that is why we've seen early P85D's with failures. Tesla has to put them in something and it's easier to do a DU swap later than it is to write-off the loss of a part or rebuild it before it's even installed. They know we as owners will put up with it, so they do it.

- - - Updated - - -

My car's developing the same problem around 20K miles. I'm going to wait until it gets worse, by which time hopefully they'll have a proper fix for it. It sounds like they're slowly narrowing in on the causes.

As a stockholder: Yep, it is going to cost a large portion of the warranty reserve. But sincle they seem to be able to rebuild them, it will probably be manageable, though that's a *lot* of drivetrain repairs.

Curious, as a stock-holder, 1 question / 2 parts.

1a. Do you observe / notice how Tesla allows these types of problems (leaking sunroof is another one) to leave the factory knowing that they will create issues down the road?
1b. Do you think this is right to continue to do so knowing that it saves them money in the short-term because they are spending owners goodwill in the long term? In other-words, spending owner's goodwill does not show up on any accounting figures so they are free to spend it until it runs out. Or should they introduce delays into production to address these issues (if possible) knowing it will affect the stock negatively now, but possibly save owners' time/effort and save corporate face later on down the road?