Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rears were tricky because I was unable to put the car in neutral without the parking brake engaged, so I just did them while they were locked in their position (not being able to turn). It was annoying, but not really a big problem.

I think you can put the car in Neutral by turning the car on, going to the controls for the brake and shut down, turning the brake off and then shutting the car down. Make sure you have some blocks under the wheels so it doesn't roll.

I think you can put the car in Neutral by turning the car on, going to the controls for the brake and shut down, turning the brake off and then shutting the car down. Make sure you have some blocks under the wheels so it doesn't roll.

Ah, I didn't think of shutting the car down. I had the wheels chocked and everything and put it in neutral, but as soon as I got out of the seat it shifted back to park.

Holy smokes I want these.

Jerry, are these useful and do they work as expected? Any commentary or specific manufacturer?

david

--------updated

I also found RimBands by RimBlades, which are softer and stretchy, fitting 16 - 22" wheels. Here's a fitting guide. They are sold in the USA by GoBadges.com.

rimblades.PNG

Last edited:
I also found RimBands by RimBlades, which are softer and stretchy, fitting 16 - 22" wheels. Here's a fitting guide. They are sold in the USA by GoBadges.com.

View attachment 14294

Looks like an easy installation (WAY less of a PITA than what I went through!), but I'd be skeptical about how much protection they provide. After all the hammering my alloy gators took, I'm VERY confident that they will hold up to a curb. The alloy gators site also has videos of a car rubbing against a curb with one.

I got some alloy gators for xmas this year and just managed to install them. You can buy them online at Alloy Wheel Repairs, Protection, Refurbishment, Cleaning & Polishing. The install involved a lot of HEAVY hammering; it's not as easy as the video on their site makes it look, but I'm really happy with the end result. The plastic is VERY tough and I can easily imagine it protecting the wheel from curbs, and it doesn't stand out much against my performance wheels other than giving a subtle flared look. So far, so good, and seems like a good solution to protect our precious wheels.

View attachment 14290

Those look great. Please bang into a few curbs to confirm that they really work. :smile::wink:

I received the black ones. I would imagine this would be the most stealthy choice for any rim color since it will match the color of the tire. Here are a few quick pics I snapped during my lunch break, hope these give a better idea of how they look:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

AlloyGator is located in the U.K. I sent them an email asking whether they have a dealer in the U.S. or if they would ship to the U.S. Will advise when (if) I hear back from them.

Last edited:
I received the black ones. I would imagine this would be the most stealthy choice for any rim color since it will match the color of the tire. Here are a few quick pics I snapped during my lunch break, hope these give a better idea of how they look:

Thanks. I think they look just fine. Can't even really tell unless you look really hard. If it takes 3 hours to install or so, would a local tire shop be able to do it?

Dah. Noticed a tiny bit of curb rash on the passenger side today. Not sure where I picked it up. I ordered some of the rimblades using code cmcc to save 10%. I'll let you know what they look like and all once they arrive.

Got a repky from AlloyGate. The cost directly from them is 64.90 pounds, including shipping from the U.K. Alternatively, they have a U.S. distributor in NY, Infinity Worldwide at 516-849-6051 or [email protected]. Was told to ask for Jonathan or Mike Martello. Hope this info is useful to someone. I will order a set when I get the car.

Got a repky from AlloyGate. The cost directly from them is 64.90 pounds, including shipping from the U.K. Alternatively, they have a U.S. distributor in NY, Infinity Worldwide at 516-849-6051 or [email protected]. Was told to ask for Jonathan or Mike Martello. Hope this info is useful to someone. I will order a set when I get the car.

Infinity Worldwide has a web site: http://www.infinityworldwide1.com/wheelprotector.htm Unfortunately, you can't order online.

Sig698, what color is your interior? Getting white exterior with gray interior. Hoping it looks good.

Mine is tan and I've been extremely happy with it!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I think they look just fine. Can't even really tell unless you look really hard. If it takes 3 hours to install or so, would a local tire shop be able to do it?

I would imagine so, but they take a bit of learning to install. They need to be trimmed very slightly AFTER they're mostly hammered in (to have an accurate idea of how much needs to be trimmed), and the tire shop will need to use a rubber mallet or something similar. I would only take it to a place I trust.

Very interested in people's opinion on the AlloyGates. Seeing mixed reviews on the web. Some positive, some negative. Major concern appears to be them coming off while driving and damaging the car.

I received my rimblades (Not rimbands). They are rubbery and install with adhesive on the back of them. They look super easy to install. Will share how they look and hold up to driving soon.