Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Various repair places seem to all do a good job of rim repair. The main reason I'd want gators or rim blades is the cost. I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars a year (and going without the car for that time) getting rim repairs. As much as the 21s stick out, damage ever year seems almost a given.

Shameful.

I couldn't stand it and had mine all repaired and powder coated.

It's not easy looking at it! It's like a huge zit on those gorgeous wheels.

How bad was yours? What was the damage...to your wallet?

Zwede, I know abt the touch-up pens, but then they are for touch ups. This will need more than that!!

I called the SC and they referred me to the shop, they outsource. I will post the after picture as soon as it's done.

Still sobbing :-(

This is one reason why I am not a fan of huge wheels. They may look nice, but the bigger the wheel and smaller the tire, the worse the damage is going to be anytime you hit a curb. The way most wheels these days are flush instead of inset makes the problem even worse.

This is another reason that when I buy I will be going with the 19s instead of the 21s. Still looks good, but lesser chance of damage on curbs.

It's not easy looking at it! It's like a huge zit on those gorgeous wheels.

How bad was yours? What was the damage...to your wallet?

It's like this.

Mine were stock 19 inch rims, so the color contrast was not bad, but you could just tell there was gouging of the outside of the rims. Some of the rash was 1/4 circumference. Next to a pristine blue car that was washed weekly, it just looked bad IMHO.

$600 for repair/coating/balancing for the 4 wheels
$80 for painting the center caps.

Not necessary, but paid $50 for black lung nut caps at the Tesla dealer.

If it happens again, I'll just get more Rials to replace the stock!

It's like this.

Mine were stock 19 inch rims, so the color contrast was not bad, but you could just tell there was gouging of the outside of the rims. Some of the rash was 1/4 circumference. Next to a pristine blue car that was washed weekly, it just looked bad IMHO.

$600 for repair/coating/balancing for the 4 wheels
$80 for painting the center caps.

Not necessary, but paid $50 for black lung nut caps at the Tesla dealer.

If it happens again, I'll just get more Rials to replace the stock!

That was hilarious! By the way, I got the wheel fixed!

Wheel Fixed.jpg

Good as new :)

Welp, it already happened. I know that curb rash is unavoidable, but I was hoping to avoid it for a while. I'm so sad that I haven't even got license plates on the car yet and my rim is already dented and scratched. My husband asked if he could drive my car one morning and I said sure. He was in a rush to park because we were late to something and as he was pulling into parallel parking spot, hit the curb. Then he said, "Am I about to hit the curb?" Me: You've already hit the curb.

On investigation, a small dime-sized piece of the rim is chipped off. Hurts so bad! Is this something repairable, or should I just go ahead with the gators? Would it be weird to have gators only on the passenger-side wheels since those are the ones most likely to get the rash? Also, are gators easy to install by myself, or do I need to go into a shop to do it?

They usually are repairable but cost maybe $150 a wheel or so. Could just cover if up with the gators as you said but would put it on all 4 rims. Likely easier to have a shop install them but people here have installed it themselves.

They usually are repairable but cost maybe $150 a wheel or so. Could just cover if up with the gators as you said but would put it on all 4 rims. Likely easier to have a shop install them but people here have installed it themselves.

Easy enough to install but to make it easy you really need to have a larger air compressor. You must deflate the tires to put them on.

I will tell you, though, that you must be committed to the gators for the long haul. Dirt gets behind them and it does scrub the paint off the wheels behind the gators. You're trading the chance of curb rash for nearly guaranteed paint damage to the wheels beneath the gators.