Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you remember how long it took for your Alloygators to arrive after you put the order in? I have ordered the Alloygators and also the 21 inch grey wheels and I'm reluctant to have the 21 inch wheels mounted until the Alloygators arrive.

AlloyGator has a distributor in NY. They charge $150 for them. I think I posted the number earlier in this thread. Having said that, I orederd directly from the UK for 64.90 pounds (about $102 US dollars). Should have them within 2 weeks. I don't expect my car until mid-March.

Update:
From my post #33 above:

U.S. distributor in NY is Infinity Worldwide at 516-849-6051 or [email protected]. Was told to ask for Jonathan or Mike Martello.

I just put RimBlades on my car. I went with those instead of AlloyGators because they looked much easier to install, and they were. It took about 45 minutes, and most of that was because my wheels were filthy. They're also a lot less sturdy than the AlloyGators--the material is very soft--so I'm sure they offer much less protection than the AlloyGators...we'll see. I bought them here.

Looking closely at my 19 inch wheels, the part that sticks out the most isn't at the outer edge; it's about halfway from the center to the rim. So, that might be most vulnerable, although it would have to be a high curb to hit. At the outer edge of the wheel, the tire sticks out about 5 mm beyond the rim, so that area (which is where the RimBlades go) is already somewhat protected, although I assume the tire can easily deform more than the 5 mm.

Incidentally, I found videos on YouTube comparing RimBlades, RimRingz, RimBands, and AlloyGators. It looks like it will be a multi-parter, and only two of the videos are uploaded (unboxing and part 1 of installation [AlloyGators and RimBlades], with installation of the others and testing to come). Although the testing will be the most important, I get the idea from their text comment with the first video that they like RimRingz the best.

part 1: unboxing
part 2: installation of AlloyGators and RimBlades

I also put some black rimblades on my Gray 21" performance wheels. It covered my small amount of rash. So far, they have held up well despite being meant for alloy wheels. Application took about 25 minutes and mostly imvolved cleaning the wheels well. I'll update you all later about their ability to stay adherent over time.

20130210_214646.jpg

20130210_214711.jpg