Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went through a touchless car wash a couple times in the last month, the kind that you guide your tire into a lane and it then drags you along. Rashed the complete outer edge of the rim :(.

Guess I'll look at those rim guards too.

The one thing that I'm thankful to Chevron (!!) for: they have a couple of these truly touchless automated washes around here that have no such rails; I drive in till a sign asks me to stop; the spray apparatus that does a 360 around the car does its thing and then I drive forward to the big blow dryer vents and I'm done inside of 5 minutes or so.

The one thing that I'm thankful to Chevron (!!) for: they have a couple of these truly touchless automated washes around here that have no such rails; I drive in till a sign asks me to stop; the spray apparatus that does a 360 around the car does its thing and then I drive forward to the big blow dryer vents and I'm done inside of 5 minutes or so.

There's one of those by my house... Would you consider it safe (for your paint) to run your a Model S through? Ours has those giant spinning brushes with what look like long loose strips of rubber that slap against the car... I would worry about them marking it up somehow.

Went through a touchless car wash a couple times in the last month, the kind that you guide your tire into a lane and it then drags you along. Rashed the complete outer edge of the rim :(.

Guess I'll look at those rim guards too.

ack, that's rough... We have a brand new Mikes Car Wash half a mile from my house. I drove up to try to find a sprayer just to rinse the salt off, but they only had the full ride through deal. The manager said he'd give me a free wash, and I was very tempted to do it since she was so dirty. This makes me happy I resisted!

There's one of those by my house... Would you consider it safe (for your paint) to run your a Model S through? Ours has those giant spinning brushes with what look like long loose strips of rubber that slap against the car... I would worry about them marking it up somehow.

I'd avoid those ones. I've seen Chevron washes with those and gone through them with older cars before. The one that I mentioned has just jets of water, soap, clearcoat "protectant" and finally a spot-free rinse before the drying. Nothing comes into contact with the car at any time.

So yesterday I installed my black Alloygators... they weren't kidding when the reviews said the required a lot of pounding; even broke my rubber mallet and had to switch to my deadblow hammer. They fit very nicely.

I take Model S through automatic car washes... You just have to be very, very careful with the rails in them. Purposely stay to the inside edge, so you don't rash the wheels.

Just ordered these, here is the direct web address: http://www.infinityworldwide1.com/rimdefender.htm. I called and talked to the guy and he said the only problems they have seen with these is trying to install them on old tires. to me they look the best.

Got a repky from AlloyGate. The cost directly from them is 64.90 pounds, including shipping from the U.K. Alternatively, they have a U.S. distributor in NY, Infinity Worldwide at 516-849-6051 or [email protected]. Was told to ask for Jonathan or Mike Martello. Hope this info is useful to someone. I will order a set when I get the car.

So yesterday I installed my black Alloygators... they weren't kidding when the reviews said the required a lot of pounding; even broke my rubber mallet and had to switch to my deadblow hammer. They fit very nicely.

I take Model S through automatic car washes... You just have to be very, very careful with the rails in them. Purposely stay to the inside edge, so you don't rash the wheels.

Did you remove each wheel or leave them on the car?

Did you remove each wheel or leave them on the car?

Left them on the car. Set car to jack mode, use the jack to raise the wheel, use a valve core remover to let all the air out, then install the gator. Re-insert valve core and inflate the tire to 15 PSI, check that the gators are still flush with the wheel, then inflate to the full 42/45 PSI (21/19 in. wheel pressures). Then move to the next wheel.

Check 1 hour later to ensure you don't have a flat tire.

I haven't seen them in person yet, but it looks to me from the pictures I've see of the Michelin Pilots that are coming standard now on cars with 21" wheels that the bead is slightly deeper (in other words, the rim is a bit more recessed than they were on the Continental's).

If that's the case, maybe part of the switch to the Pilots was to help with the curb rash? Anyone who has the Pilots want to chime in on this?

My alloy gators arrived. I think I'll go ahead and fix the rims at the service center then apply the gators on top of them. Might be a waste of money I guess. I could just cover up the damaged area with the alloy gators too.

My Alloy Gators arrived from England yesterday.My new 21 inch grey wheels arrived in Dania Beach,FL the day before.So I took my Gators to the Tesla service center this a.m. and they installed my new wheels with the Gators at the same time.They did charge me 25 bucks a wheel to put the Gators on but I don't have the tools to install them myself so I paid the 100 bucks.Not so nervous about messing up my new wheels now.

Okay. Finally had a free day to put the alloy gators on. Luckily, no curb rash events as I have been very careful, but we all know that luck may eventually run out!

The installation was as per the video, following instructions to the letter. It was very easy to put the metal clips on, and I just set up each of the rim protectors, one right after the other. That probably took about 25 minutes to fully complete.

Once that was done, I was able to put the car in jack mode, then find the appropriate jack positions (very easily located aft of the front wheel and fore of the rear wheel). I have a 2.5 ton floor jack (craftsman) which I used to jack up the front driver's side corner until the front wheel spun freely. I deflated the tire, then I wet the wheel with a soapy water, which I gather is to facilitate getting the protector to slide a bit easier between wheel and tire. Starting at the valve position, I hammered with the rubber mallet until the protector was well seated around the wheel and the ends joined up. I didn't mallet the gator fully, as I knew I'd need to trim it despite applying to 21" wheels. I trimmed about an inch off, and this length was consistent across all 4 wheels. I used the glue (cyanoacrylate or "crazy glue") to join the edges, then used the mallet to seat the protector as best as I could. Lot of hammering to get this part done. it took about 20 minutes to complete this part. I then applied the bridge piece (plastic bridge to cover the gap of the joined ends of the gator). Held for about a minute to let the glue set properly. Inflated the tire to 42 psi (manufacturer's recommended cold tire pressure), then let the car off of the jack, rechecking pressures afterwards.

I did this on all four tires, total time to completion was about 3 hours which included a lunch break.

Very happy with the results.

Here is the finished product, as well as a couple pics of my garage renovation.

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

And here are some shots of my garage renovation. No pot shots at my choice of football teams allowed!!

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 653
Beautiful garage! Got a link for that floor covering? BTW, the alloy gators look really great too! Looks like you wouldn't even be able to tell that they were there if you didn't know to look for them. I'm still dying to know if the red alloy gators would look good on a red S, or just look cheesy. I think I'd be too chicken to try that out myself.... but still curious about it. I think I'll probably get the black ones though....