Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beautiful garage! Got a link for that floor covering? BTW, the alloy gators look really great too! Looks like you wouldn't even be able to tell that they were there if you didn't know to look for them. I'm still dying to know if the red alloy gators would look good on a red S, or just look cheesy. I think I'd be too chicken to try that out myself.... but still curious about it. I think I'll probably get the black ones though....

Costco garage flooring (black/alloy). It was the best price/tile amount I could find. Easy to do as a DIY project.

AlloyGators arrived today from England. Took two weeks. DS emailed me that car went into production the past weekend, and should be arriving in DC in about two weeks. Will check to see if Tesla will install the AlloyGators.

I believe someone else posted that Tesla installed them for $100. I will talk to Jamee at the Rockville Service Center when delivery of my car gets closer (went in production this past weekend; DS expects delivery to be about March 13), and let you know.

Tesla Dania Beach charged me 25 dollars a wheel to install the Alloy Gators.Mine was the first Alloy Gator installation they had done so I think the price was picked by them at the spur of the moment.I wouldn't be surprised if the price to install could vary from service center but a precedent has been set.

Tesla Dania Beach charged me 25 dollars a wheel to install the Alloy Gators.Mine was the first Alloy Gator installation they had done so I think the price was picked by them at the spur of the moment.I wouldn't be surprised if the price to install could vary from service center but a precedent has been set.

Wouldn't it be nice if Telsa could start buying these in bulk and have a factory install option?

ffffffffffffffffffffffff me! I feel like an idiot. Got a curb rash on my front right wheel. Never got a curb rash on my last three cars over 8 years. Tried to be overly cautious with the Tesla but it only takes one distraction. Called the Costa Mesa Service Center and they said they have a guy fix wheels and it would cost $150-180 per wheel. Claims they'll look like new and they've had easily 20 Model S' that had their wheels fixed.

Price sounded high to me so I found someone on Yelp with all 5 stars that would do it for $75-100. Will be getting it fixed in the next few days. I'll post pics of before and after once it's done.

ffffffffffffffffffffffff me! I feel like an idiot. Got a curb rash on my front right wheel. Never got a curb rash on my last three cars over 8 years. Tried to be overly cautious with the Tesla but it only takes one distraction. Called the Costa Mesa Service Center and they said they have a guy fix wheels and it would cost $150-180 per wheel. Claims they'll look like new and they've had easily 20 Model S' that had their wheels fixed.

Price sounded high to me so I found someone on Yelp with all 5 stars that would do it for $75-100. Will be getting it fixed in the next few days. I'll post pics of before and after once it's done.

Thanks. That price is in the ball park with what I was quoted. Don't feel bad. You are part of a growing club on Model S drivers with 21" rim curb rash.

Asked Tesla about installing the AlloyGators. Was told higher ups said they are not permitted to install them. Tesla is concerned that because they fit between the wheel and tire bead, if it comes off, tire could deflate causing liability issues for them. Also expressed concern that the wheel well could get damaged if they come off.

this would be awesome as the process looks a bit daunting, for me at least. I just cringe at the thought of screwing up the alignement hitting the wheels repeatedly that hard. i'll probably get over it and just do it myself when the arrive.

Save the money. Do it yourself. It was a bigger deal on paper than in practice. I'm glad I did it, and my car tracks perfectly straight.

got them in the mail the other day, bought an electric inflation pump and got a decent floor jack, rolling up sleeves and heading down to do the install in a few minutes. Has anyone heard of these style gators causing sudden loss of tire pressure? is this really something we have to worry about? I've only seen things alluding to the possibility, but I have not seen anyone actually complain that it has happened. the guy who sells the gators says he's only seen problems with trying to install them on old tires. He says with new tires I will have no problem... seems like a huge liability for him if his product compromises the bead so I figure he must have designed around this possibility.

Save the money. Do it yourself. It was a bigger deal on paper than in practice. I'm glad I did it, and my car tracks perfectly straight.

Asked Tesla about installing the AlloyGators. Was told higher ups said they are not permitted to install them. Tesla is concerned that because they fit between the wheel and tire bead, if it comes off, tire could deflate causing liability issues for them. Also expressed concern that the wheel well could get damaged if they come off.

Well, the air seal is at the bead toe, not the bead heal so air loss shouldn't be a concern here. I'm more concerned that the bead will not be fully (or evenly) supported by the rim flange when gators are used. That could possibly lead to uneven wear and vibration later in the tire's life. I don't say that it will happen--just a possibility. (Image from here)

Cross-Sectional-View-of-Tire-and-Nomenclature.gif

got them in the mail the other day, bought an electric inflation pump and got a decent floor jack, rolling up sleeves and heading down to do the install in a few minutes. Has anyone heard of these style gators causing sudden loss of tire pressure? is this really something we have to worry about? I've only seen things alluding to the possibility, but I have not seen anyone actually complain that it has happened. the guy who sells the gators says he's only seen problems with trying to install them on old tires. He says with new tires I will have no problem... seems like a huge liability for him if his product compromises the bead so I figure he must have designed around this possibility.

Please let us know in full TMC detail how it goes. I'm in the same boat. Might try it myself but really scared to screw something up. Or, get half way through it and give up.

Alloy Gators installed. Damn that was hard work. My right forearm is rather sore from wielding the mallet. You end up going around the tire 4 times and you have to smack the hell out of it.

Funny story. I put the car in jack mode, did the fronts then went to the back and the parking brake had the rear tires locked. That won't work, you really want them freely rotating. So, I looked in the manual, you go into the e-brake screen, push a button for neutral, then turn off the car. Ok, did that, everything shut down, so I opened the door to get out and everything comes on and the e-brake sets. Tried this about 5 times and could not get the car to stay asleep. WTF? Called Tesla, spent about 30 minutes on the phone and the guy had the same problem in the car he was trying it on. He got a couple other guys there to try it, same issues.

So, I'm on hold while they're figuring it out and I'm playing a bit more with the e-brake screen. Figured it out, you have to be quick! When you shut down the car there's a pretty small window where you can get out and shut the door before it realizes you're gone and wakes up and resets the e-brake. You can't get out too early or too late...