Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the responses, like mentioned before it doesn't help that I don't know anyone that has a tesla nor have I ever driven one. To be quite honest, I might be one of the only people with a Tesla in Iowa for a while - never see them here even though I live in a poppin metropolitan area.

I think the plan will have to be to test drive a model S and a model 3 when the option becomes available. For the price point that I can afford at my age and this point in my life I can probably choose between a pretty well optioned model 3 or a CPO base model S. Maybe a base S75 or S85 can fill both roles for me - being a strong performer as well as a very practical car. On the other hand, maybe an EV is so different that a model 3 will feel plenty quick for me.

If it's any consolation, I will miss my Mustang's V8 growl when the time comes. The tactile feel of shifting gears and slamming the accelerator. I use this phrase a lot around here, but our generation will have the toughest time living in this electrical car age.

I think the previous advice is your best bet. Go get a test drive with a current Model S/X and experience the seat-crunching speed. That might help reduce your anxiety.

• Love
Reactions: Hixson
I went on a drive through Gettysburg national park with about 10 other teslas back in fall '16. It was one of the coolest experiences every with driving in a convoy of cars with my windows down and hearing nothing but the wind in the trees. Gorgeous scenery as well.

sounds like an awesome experience. And to be honest missing that noise on a commute sounds really nice. When listening to music or the radio even now I sometimes with the Camaro would shut up so I can enjoy myself. Other than every once in a while I guess the V8 tone is just obtrusive, especially for everyone that isn't me!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the torque in a Tesla is instantaneous. When maneuvering on the highway, you can teleport two car lengths ahead in the same time it takes a gas car to downshift. This makes the Tesla feel even quicker than you'd think based on the specs.

Well, they have instantaneous torque from zero... they do not retain full torque across all speeds. That's impossible. Electric motors have torque curves just like ICE engines do... they are just shaped immensely different. In an ICE, your torque is low when revolutions/second are low. They peak at some point and then head back down again. In an EV, you start out at 100% and stay there for awhile, but at some point it SHARPLY falls.

Your "teleport two car lengths" depends entirely on the speed at which you're attempting the maneuver. Too fast and you'll find you've got nothing. What is "too fast"? Beats me.

sounds like an awesome experience. And to be honest missing that noise on a commute sounds really nice. When listening to music or the radio even now I sometimes with the Camaro would shut up so I can enjoy myself. Other than every once in a while I guess the V8 tone is just obtrusive, especially for everyone that isn't me!

The biggest thing I miss is manual shifting. I had only ever owned manual transmission cars (by choice) before we got the S. The act of slamming between gears between quick accelerations was pretty fun. But now it's just effortless!

I've raced Bonneville, road raced, drag raced, sled pulled, desert raced, and some venues I probably forget. I have various competition licenses including NHRA Super Gas. I had Camaros and Corvettes for competition, and still have a Z06 Corvette for track use with a rollbar and 5-point.

EV powertrains are superior for daily operation. You won't understand how superior until you've driven one for a month or more, then have to use a ICE for street driving.

When we had 2 Corvettes, a CTS-V, a 12 second truck, and a 10 second truck in our stable at once, and an EV in the driveway, for daily driving the EV was always the first choice of all 4 drivers in the family.

I went from a G37 coupe with full exhaust, to a Model S, to a BMW 428 with the 2 liter turbo 4, and will be getting a Model 3 as soon as they'll sell me one. You're going to miss the exhaust note. Even the BMW is a disappointment to me in that regard. However, none of that matters when you get hooked on the instant response from the electric motor. Nothing on the road can match the passing ability of that Model S. My biggest concern right now is that the Model 3 performance edition won't be available when my number gets drawn. So I hope what's available has at least 300hp.

Reactions: Hixson
I went from a G37 coupe with full exhaust, to a Model S, to a BMW 428 with the 2 liter turbo 4, and will be getting a Model 3 as soon as they'll sell me one. You're going to miss the exhaust note. Even the BMW is a disappointment to me in that regard. However, none of that matters when you get hooked on the instant response from the electric motor. Nothing on the road can match the passing ability of that Model S. My biggest concern right now is that the Model 3 performance edition won't be available when my number gets drawn. So I hope what's available has at least 300hp.

If you don't mind me asking what made you want to own a model 3 instead of a model S? I know new tech and cutting edge etc, but sounds like youre a bit of a car guy. Wouldn't a more powerful model S be more up your alley?

The Camaro is going to have to go in the next 2 years or so regardless ...
If that's the case then you may want to go ahead and put in a reservation now for the model 3. Odds are that anyone reserving now will be looking at late 2018 or early 2019 for delivery. After the next/final reveal that will likely spiral into late 2019. So, if there is any chance you may decide on the 3 as opposed to the CPO S, I'd reserve now. You'll be able to take a test drive and hear all the feed back well before you need to configure so you can always get your deposit back if it turns out you don't like it.

I'm a huge ICE guy--starting with a 64 Plymouth Barracuda, ending with a handful of BMWs. My 60D blows them all away. The torque is way better than virtually any ICE, and due to the instant response, the numbers don't really reflect just how good the car is. The low center of gravity and direct steering will be a dramatic improvement in handling over the Camaro. The single gear is amazing because you never miss hit that split second lag.

While a Leaf might make you feel like you're in a golf cart, a Tesla S or 3 will feel like a Star Wars Landspeeder.

Go for it!

• Love
Reactions: DIL and Hixson
I used to own a Honda S2000. Not a lot of cars with a more exciting aural experience that are not Italian. Although I have only driven a Model S for a weekend, I never missed the sounds. All I remember is how fun that instant torque is an how responsive the entire drivetrain is to driver inputs. I would echo the other posters here and tell you to rent a Model S for a day. You will be sold.

Reactions: nagypite and Hixson
If that's the case then you may want to go ahead and put in a reservation now for the model 3. Odds are that anyone reserving now will be looking at late 2018 or early 2019 for delivery. After the next/final reveal that will likely spiral into late 2019. So, if there is any chance you may decide on the 3 as opposed to the CPO S, I'd reserve now. You'll be able to take a test drive and hear all the feed back well before you need to configure so you can always get your deposit back if it turns out you don't like it.

Totally agree. Ive had my model 3 reservation for a few months now - just had a minor panic attack earlier today is all lol

So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?
It's not silent. It's a turbine-like whine that sounds like the future.
And performance will leave you very pleased you made the switch from an oil burner. Way back when, the founder of Tesla Motors used to take potential investors out for test drives in an early prototype. At a stop light he'd say, "Try to touch the dashboard when the light turns."
The VC guy reaches for the dashboard, the light turns, the power pedal is firmly applied and fingers get nowhere near touching anything as massive G's shove the guy back into his seat.
Robin

Reactions: cdub and Hixson
"Lack" of sound - Just change your perspective. Don't think of it like "I'm going to miss the growl of the V8 engine and the free flow exhaust system". Rather, think of it like, "I'm sure going to have fun experiencing acceleration on my every whim and not alert the police within a two mile radius that I'm enjoying accelerating from a stop light". I put a little baffling in the exhaust on a Big Dog Mastiff motorcycle that I used to own after the family let me know they could hear me accelerating onto the highway 1.5 miles away.

I might eventually do an EV conversion on my Ariel Atom and the reduced sound would be one draw of doing that conversion. The intent would be to have it be similar the one-off Wrightspeed X1 EV conversion of the Atom, which was how I first learned about the Atom back in something like 2007. The main concern is that the replacement drivetrain would need to be up to Atom standards. I would not want to ruin a perfectly good Atom.

The best story I can think of related to this is a from guy on the Accidental Tech Podcast talking about why he bought a Model S. They're all car nerds and big BMW fans and while the podcast is ostensibly about Apple development and products, in their aftershow they would often have discussions about cars (including why they would only buy a manual transmission car) and so on.

He said that the thing which surprised him most about test-driving a Tesla is realizing that what he loves about driving a manual is not the way the transmission works, but it's the feel of being directly connected to the performance of the car. He said that in an entirely different way, the Model S gives him that exact same feeling. You step on the pedal and you get immediate power, and you have precise control over how fast or slow you're going at any moment.

The mechanics of it are entirely different, but you have that same sense of intention turning directly into speed.

So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit.

The whole ICE car industry is in panic mode right now, at least you have been brave enough to admit it. I'd say the days when really fast cars sounded like tractors are over. Get yourself a Tesla and enjoy "real" performance.

Reactions: cdub