Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole ICE car industry is in panic mode right now, at least you have been brave enough to admit it. I'd say the days when really fast cars sounded like tractors are over. Get yourself a Tesla and enjoy "real" performance.

Im on the Tesla bandwagon - but show me a tractor that sounds like a Lamborghini or Ferrari and I might just switch my profession and become a farmer...

Im on the Tesla bandwagon - but show me a tractor that sounds like a Lamborghini or Ferrari and I might just switch my profession and become a farmer...
umm
laom_jpg_1431351f.jpg

Nitro - Lamborghini Trattori

Oh I fully understand that a model S would be faster than my Camaro - I have no issue with the performance of these cars. My question is simply how does one transition from loving the growl of an engine and the experience that provides to a silent EV?

I came from a 505hp 427 cu. in. 2006 Corvette Z06 with factory exhaust by-pass switch that rumbled and lumbered roughly at idle, barked LOUDLY when started up (ask my neighbors), popped and crackled when decelerating, and SCREAMED at high RPM (7,000 rpm redline). Loved the Z06... but don't miss it AT ALL. Our P85D is a LOT faster 0-60 and doing it with only a small jet engine turbine sound is WAY sweeter.

ZERO regrets... especially all the gas station stops at 20 mpg around town if I drove conservatively. Better than the 8 mpg I got at Spring Mountain Motorsports track on Corvette Track Days but heh that was WAY too much fun and legal going 100+ mph too. :cool:

Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

I'm a long time car guy and gear head. I just finished helping my son create a highly modified '85 Pontiac Fiero GT and I still have to install roller rockers on my 408 cu inch SBC in my '64 chevy Panel Truck. I also own a Model S 90D that's 45 days old, and I LOVE IT! (picture Rat-Fink with tongue hanging out in a Tesla) The silence is interesting but, it's nimble behavior and incredible power is crack to car geeks of every flavor. You won't be sorry.

As others have noted, the cars aren't totally silent. There's a subtle whine from the drive train that you can hear when you accelerate, that increases in pitch the faster you go. I'm a long-time manual-shift driver, and even after owning a Roadster for 2 1/2 years, my hand still wants to reach for the shifter during long acceleration. It's hard to describe, but there is a sensual tension (trying to be family friendly here) as the pitch increases well past that shift point, where you keep on accelerating, and accelerating.

The other point about EVs in general, and Teslas in particular, is the "one pedal driving" experience. Manual down-shifting an ICE is also part of the legacy sports car heritage, and I thought I would miss that when going to a car with only one gear. But the strong regenerative breaking you get when letting off the accelerator pedal more than makes up for not actually having to make the shift, since it's nearly as strong, and it's instantaneous. So you can go from acceleration to breaking to acceleration in the blink of an eye, the twitch of the foot, and the twist of the road.

Something you might consider instead of the Model S or waiting for the Model 3, is to find a nice Roadster. At just under 4 seconds 0-60, it's perhaps not as quick as some of the newest cars, but in my opinion, a lot more fun.

Reactions: Hixson
So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

It's a feature you won't have. But other features may more than make up for it.

I was a muscle car guy in the past. Before Tesla took off, I had a 2011 Mustang GT with the new 5.0 Coyote V8 and a 6-speed manual transmission. I miss shifting, and I do somewhat miss the nice sounds of the V8 too, but other features of the Tesla more than make up for that for me. Might be the same for you. You'll just have to do some test drives and weigh the trade offs.

I will go against the grain and say that test driving an EV won't help. (At least not with the OP's issues; test-driving an EV *is* a great idea for anybody that hasn't tried one yet to start to appreciate their other advantages). Here's why I don't think a single test drive will do the job:

My first post on these forums (almost 8 years ago) included some of the same thoughts on possibly missing shifting and ICE sounds. I always bought manual-transmission cars, and my motorcycle engines spent most of their lives near the rev limit.

The first time I drove an EV, of course I noticed it was quiet and I didn't have to shift. But I didn't appreciate them yet.

As RangerRick noted, we like shifting and feel "in the flow" when we do it because it gives us precise control over the car's powerband. But an electric motor is already there. You have the same control over the power; you just don't have to move a stick to get it. It took a few weeks of driving electric to get used to the new method, but now I don't miss shifting at all.

Sound is similar. Loud sounds aren't awesome on their own. We like them because we associate them with power - the sensation of being accelerated quickly. But if you drive electric for a few weeks, your brain will learn a new association. My Roadster always sounded like a remote pod-racer, and I freaking loved that sound. (Note that if you don't exclusively drive electric, but switch back and forth with a gas car, your brain's associations will not change in the same time frame).

In short: concern about performance cues (i.e. shifting and noise) is very common. I had the same concerns. But after a few weeks of driving an EV, I don't think you will miss them at all. Plus, as others pointed out, even if you were to miss them, there are plenty of other EV advantages you will have gotten used to that you won't want to give up.

Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Back when Teslas first came out, Road and Track published an article that was titled something like: The Return of the Great American Car-- Try to find that article. I recall someone posted on U-tube a video in an empty parking lot of a 68 Firebird and model S doing burn outs. The rear wheel drive performance model S can go thru a set of tires quickly if you know how to defeat the traction control:
Instead of a model 3, you may want to consider a used RWD P85--you will never miss the Camaro.

So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

Keep the SS and get your Model 3 as well. It's way more fun that way. EVs are very cool most of the time. I'll always have one in my household. But IMO that lack the fun factor.

Given your family background, your will be scorned. Can you handle that? Doesn't sound like it or you wouldn't have posted.

I will go against the grain and say that test driving an EV won't help. Here's why:

My first post on these forums (almost 8 years ago) included some of the same thoughts on possibly missing shifting and ICE sounds. I always bought manual-transmission cars, and my motorcycle engines spent most of their lives near the rev limit.

The first time I drove an EV, of course I noticed it was quiet and I didn't have to shift. But I didn't appreciate them yet.

As RangerRick noted, we like shifting and feel "in the flow" when we do it because it gives us precise control over the car's powerband. But an electric motor is already there. You have the same control over the power; you just don't have to move a stick to get it. It took a few weeks of driving electric to get used to the new method, but now I don't miss shifting at all.

Sound is similar. Loud sounds aren't awesome on their own. We like them because we associate them with power - the sensation of being accelerated quickly. But if you drive electric for a few weeks, your brain will learn a new association. My Roadster always sounded like a remote pod-racer, and I freaking loved that sound. (Note that if you don't exclusively drive electric, but switch back and forth with a gas car, your brain's associations will not change in the same time frame).

In short: concern about performance cues (i.e. shifting and noise) is very common. I had the same concerns. But after a few weeks of driving an EV, I don't think you will miss them at all. Plus, as others pointed out, even if you were to miss them, there are plenty of other EV advantages you will have gotten used to that you won't want to give up.

Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy!

I don't know. I still miss shifting, and I stopped driving purely gas powered cars 4 years ago (the last time I was able to choose having a manual transmission). It was just kind of fun I guess. At the same time, I didn't like having a loud engine; rather it was the tuned purring sound that I liked. The sound was nice, but I definitely didn't want it to be louder; I could have done with quieter. Point being, it's going to differ from person to person. You almost need to live with one for awhile to be sure of how well it will work for you. Might be worth asking for an extended test drive? Sometimes they will let people keep one overnight, so they can spend almost a whole day with it. But it's hit or miss if they will do that or not.

Instead of quoting everyone that replied recently I will just make a post and hopefully it covers most of that stuff. I totally agree that *If I could* best bet for me would be to keep the SS and buy my model 3 when the time comes. However - I just turned 25 and I wont be able to make two car payments of that magnitude - especially when you consider insuring both.

I agree with the sentiment on here, I don't know that I will ever fully get over not having a manual transmission. Its a dying art - most high end cars have moved to dual clutch autos with paddle shifters. I think a manual just adds an extra element of enjoyment when you drive that car. As I type that, I realize that's what everyone on here is saying about owning an EV Tesla. I cant explain why manual is awesome to someone that's never done it, just like you cant fully explain to me why a tesla is so incredible until I try it for myself. Starting to make a lot of sense. I think its something that I could definitely live without though - I would be losing the manual transmission but gaining the EV torque excitement as well as safety, technology, lifespan, etc and to me that's probably worth it. We will have to wait and see until I take a test drive. What Im most worried about is going for a model S test drive before the model 3 comes out. Ill likely fall in love - and I know that now is a terrible time to buy a model 3 (before reveal 2). I should probably wait until I can do both.

Reactions: teddytoons
I understand about the manual transmission. But the stick was a solution to a technological problem, which has essentially gone away. With a Tesla you still have "engine braking" - in fact the regen is far more powerful than what you're used to.

You will really like the instant torque. As I like to do an occasional track day I have a Corvette. When I'm driving it I have to downshift several gears to pass someone, so I have to get ready well before the opportunity arises. When I'm driving my Tesla I just push the pedal and it goes. I truly enjoy both, for different reasons, but the Model S gets a lot more mileage.

I understand about the manual transmission. But the stick was a solution to a technological problem, which has essentially gone away. With a Tesla you still have "engine braking" - in fact the regen is far more powerful than what you're used to.

You will really like the instant torque. As I like to do an occasional track day I have a Corvette. When I'm driving it I have to downshift several gears to pass someone, so I have to get ready well before the opportunity arises. When I'm driving my Tesla I just push the pedal and it goes. I truly enjoy both, for different reasons, but the Model S gets a lot more mileage.

I totally get it Doug. My dilemma I'm going through right now is that I wont be able to have both a tesla and a back up car for banging gears and hooning around. I know this is subjective but let me ask this question - what would you choose if you could only have a 2015 BMW m5 with a manual or a base model S75/85 or a well equipped model 3? That's kind of what Im struggling with right now. Used performance luxury sedan ICE, used performance Luxury EV, or a new small EV in the model 3. Sorry for the wall of text guys

I totally get it Doug. My dilemma I'm going through right now is that I wont be able to have both a tesla and a back up car for banging gears and hooning around. I know this is subjective but let me ask this question - what would you choose if you could only have a 2015 BMW m5 with a manual or a base model S75/85 or a well equipped model 3? That's kind of what Im struggling with right now. Used performance luxury sedan ICE, used performance Luxury EV, or a new small EV in the model 3. Sorry for the wall of text guys

Yeah it's really something you have to decide for yourself. Personally, I'd take the Tesla.

The more I post in my own thread the more I realize how impossible this would be to provide advice as a 3rd party participant. I apologize.

You got the bet advice a few times near the beginning. What you really need is a long test drive - maybe even an overnight test drive. See for yourself what the fuss is a bout, and whether you'll be happy without the noise.