Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in deep sleep (was HELP - Battery died in airport parking)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked my car in a remote lot (The Parking Spot) at LAX. I had 20% battery when I parked. I have been in EU for 4 days. I just checked my Tesla App from EU as I am about to fly back home. It is reporting my car at 0%(----) battery! I have never had that much drain before. Any thoughts on how this happened (sw ver 2018.28.5)? Will my car move at all to get to a charger? Thanks!

Tesla's left at airports unplugged seem to be a recurrent problem, but one I have not had. I recently (like a week ago) came back to the USA after 12 days in Europe, having left my S100D (unplugged) in the JFK long term parking lot. When I parked the car, it showed 268 rated miles range. When I came back, it showed 265 rated miles range, well less than 1% loss. Here is what I did:

1. Set always connected to OFF
2. Turn Energy Savings ON
3. Set Smart preconditioning to OFF
4. Set Cabin overheat protection to OFF
5. Make sure climate control is OFF
6. Unplug/turn off Dashcam
7. Cover car with a car cover (I use the EVANNEX cover, no affiliation)
8. Never checked on the car while gone, as it wakes the car up and uses power.

I actually have a "shut-down" check list to make sure I remember everything. I followed the same procedures prior to this latest trip and had similar results, loss of 11 rated miles over 14 days---I forgot to unplug the dashcam (thus the check list).

So, sorry I can't help this time, but maybe this will help next time.

We frequently park our Model S in the airport garage in PHX no less (it's almost always over 100F there!) s- and with:

Always connected "off"
Cabin overheat protection "off"
Energy Savings "on"
Smart Preconditioning "off"

it uses between 2 and 3 miles of range per day - We never check on it while we are away from it, that indeed would wake it up from the deep sleep that it goes into while left in this condition, and would use miles. We've never had an issue, although I doubt if I'd be willing to park it at 20% for more than a day or two, we usually have between 175 and 200 miles of range on our S85 when we park it in the garage at the airport. We've not parked it yet with the latest firmware, but based upon what we see in our own garage after a day or two, I think it will be the same. YMMV

Reactions: ai4px
Highly doubt it is actually dead; likely just in deep sleep to preserve the battery. Stop trying to check on it with the app; that wakes it up (usually) and will cause higher drain!

Let us know when you get back what you have left. I predict >10% unless you’ve been gone for more than a week. And charge it back up ASAP!

Reactions: TexasEV
Tesla's left at airports unplugged seem to be a recurrent problem, but one I have not had. I recently (like a week ago) came back to the USA after 12 days in Europe, having left my S100D (unplugged) in the JFK long term parking lot. When I parked the car, it showed 268 rated miles range. When I came back, it showed 265 rated miles range, well less than 1% loss. Here is what I did:

I actually have a "shut-down" check list to make sure I remember everything. I followed the same procedures prior to this latest trip and had similar results, loss of 11 rated miles over 14 days---I forgot to unplug the dashcam (thus the check list).

So, sorry I can't help this time, but maybe this will help next time.
Sounds like Tesla should add a "deep sleep" button on the MCU to do this for you.

Tesla should provide a single setting to maximize energy saving - and also provide a way to set this from the Tesla app, in case you forget when leaving the car.

Maybe like an OFF button. No data, no climate, everything OFF. Should be easier than this craziness outlined:

A single off button isn't necessary, You really only need the first two plus don't check on the car while gone:

Always connected: OFF
Energy Savings: ON

Smart pre-conditioning is something that maybe nice if you leave at the same time everyday, but I sort of doubt it would use any energy because it's not a "regular" thing to park in the airport

As stated above Cabin overheat is only active for 24 hours

If you have an always on Dash Cam, that is something to think about, but most don't even have a dash cam-

My experience has been as I stated above 2-3 miles per day with just the first two and not accessing the car while gone.