Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Insurance Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Motorserve is one of those insurance assessment centres, they're supposed to figure out what repairs are needed and then organise them.

Personally I'd pay quite a bit more not to have to deal with those places.
I've been with NRMA for years and never had a problem with Motorserve repairs. Just cautious because Motorserve are not on Tesla's approved body-repair list, but you can't choose repairer and their only options in the ACT are motorserve.

Reactions: jq371
Just cautious because Motorserve are not on Tesla's approved body-repair list, but you can't choose repairer and their only options in the ACT are motorserve.
You can pay extra with NRMA to have choice of repairer.

Only the Tesla-approved body shops can get the parts - others have reported that this tends to result in a bit of toing and froing until eventually the car gets sent to a Tesla authorised repairer. So it might just be that the choice-of-repairer option just saves you that delay and runaround.

You can pay extra with NRMA to have choice of repairer.

Only the Tesla-approved body shops can get the parts - others have reported that this tends to result in a bit of toing and froing until eventually the car gets sent to a Tesla authorised repairer. So it might just be that the choice-of-repairer option just saves you that delay and runaround.

Sweet! Thank you. Looks like it's worth the choice of repairer option

Just got my renewal for the X - total premium $14 lower than last year (CBA Insurance provided by Hollard). Mind you they still want $3800. No events this year. Shop around time I think.
A quick plug for Hollards/CBA. My wife had a claim on our X, other driver was at fault. accident happened 2 days before insurance with Hollard expired, and we had already subsequently renewed with a different company. Despite this, Hollards was magnificent to deal with. Helped along with video footage from all the cameras on the car :) they represented us very well. The other driver actually worked for an mv insurance company, so we thought things would be difficult, but can’t speak highly enough about the claims process with Hollards.

No affiliation with hollards, just a customer..

Most of the talk in this thread so far has been about the costs and delays associated with repairing Teslas (and other EV’s) after accidents.

Yesterday at my seniors golf group’s monthly bbq I was quizzed about this - being the only EV owner out of the 42 members. Talk eventually lead to the seemingly never-ending reports of stolen vehicles being thrashed/totalled by misbehaving teenagers.

That gave me the opportunity to ask the old blokes if they could remember any reports of Teslas being stolen. None could.

I then related the report of tennis player Nick Ks model S being hijacked from his mother and his subsequent use of the speed limiter and location abilities of the Tesla to guide the police to the car, which was recovered without damage.

I now wonder if after a few more years of nil or very few stolen Teslas that insurance companies might start to take these stats into their calculations - or do they already? I do understand that the parking/garaging suburb etc is taken into account with quite heavy loadings applied to certain areas, but many high end luxury cars are being stolen from some pretty high end suburbs. Should a Tesla owner in those suburbs be penalised/rewarded?

Not me and not asking for a friend.

Most of the talk in this thread so far has been about the costs and delays associated with repairing Teslas (and other EV’s) after accidents.

Yesterday at my seniors golf group’s monthly bbq I was quizzed about this - being the only EV owner out of the 42 members. Talk eventually lead to the seemingly never-ending reports of stolen vehicles being thrashed/totalled by misbehaving teenagers.

That gave me the opportunity to ask the old blokes if they could remember any reports of Teslas being stolen. None could.

I then related the report of tennis player Nick Ks model S being hijacked from his mother and his subsequent use of the speed limiter and location abilities of the Tesla to guide the police to the car, which was recovered without damage.

I now wonder if after a few more years of nil or very few stolen Teslas that insurance companies might start to take these stats into their calculations - or do they already? I do understand that the parking/garaging suburb etc is taken into account with quite heavy loadings applied to certain areas, but many high end luxury cars are being stolen from some pretty high end suburbs. Should a Tesla owner in those suburbs be penalised/rewarded?

Not me and not asking for a friend.
I did also wonder why Tesla insurance hasn’t been reduced considering the amount of camcera footage that can prove beyond doubt when accidents are other driver at fault.
House insurance is reduced with cctv security so I don’t known why that doesn’t positively affect Tesla insurance

I did also wonder why Tesla insurance hasn’t been reduced considering the amount of camcera footage that can prove beyond doubt when accidents are other driver at fault.
House insurance is reduced with cctv security so I don’t known why that doesn’t positively affect Tesla insurance
That’s a really good point, as is the comment from @qldoldun insurance should be coming down (or at least not going up so quickly relative to other cars) and it isn’t

Reactions: jq371
That’s a really good point, as is the comment from @qldoldun insurance should be coming down (or at least not going up so quickly relative to other cars) and it isn’t
Insurance companies will keep ripping people off as long as they can get away with it.

Provided they all keep them relatively high then we really have no choice and they'll keep raking in the profits.

Reactions: Zoltrix77 and jq371
Another data point for insurance .. this week I had the RHS headlight of my ModelX replaced. It was done under warranty, but I was curious so I checked the price. I found it online, new, for under A$500. Many of you have probably replaced headlights of other cars and know that its a very different story. A quick search for BMW X5 turns up eye watering prices of A$5000-$8000 depending on the model. This is only the second part from tesla I have priced, the other was the plastic piece that supports the rear underfloor cargo area cover. It was a mighty $13.20, and they dropped it off to my house for that. I know 2 data points don’t make a trend, but its more information to suggest insurance companies are taking us for a ride.

Reactions: moa999
I know 2 data points don’t make a trend, but its more information to suggest insurance companies are taking us for a ride.
Maybe, but it will come down to perspective.

I paid NRMA around $1580 in September 2023 for Comprehensive Plus coverage on my brand new MY RWD with agreed value of $72000.

On December 26 I lodged a hail damage claim which turned out to be a $34,000 repair, and will be completed after 3 months. Over those three months I have had a hire car at no cost to me (assuming a bulk deal rate of $50 per day, that's another $4500 of cost on the claim).

All of that will cost me my excess of $1000, and I have no claim bonus protection included on the policy - so even if "hail" was classed as my fault, no effect on my future premiums.

I figure that policy was good value for money, and covers 20 years and more of future/past premiums.

I do get it - in the absence of a claim, insurance premiums are often viewed (including by me) as an impost. It takes a single claim to see the other side of the coin.