Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Lock Sound Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I edited the sound file to make it as loud as I could without distortion it's pretty quiet coming from the car. The lock sounds from Tesla seem much louder. Are there multiple speakers that those use that mine doesn't?
Indeed, the PWS speaker is too quiet with little bird sounds. I think it's not selected for high frequency response: Literally, it's not a tweeter.

So I switched to a seagull sound and amplified it in Audacity a little past the no-distortion level. That works!

The sound file from freesound.org had wind noise and talking. High-pass filtering fixed that.

Indeed, the PWS speaker is too quiet with little bird sounds. I think it's not selected for high frequency response: Literally, it's not a tweeter.

So I switched to a seagull sound and amplified it in Audacity a little past the no-distortion level. That works!

The sound file from freesound.org had wind noise and talking. High-pass filtering fixed that.
Thanks! So there is only one exterior speaker. Unfortunately, there are no seagull license plates in Minnesota so I'm sticking with my chickadee. I'll plan to get the loon plates for my next Tesla. Those birds can make some serious sound. 🔊😁

Reactions: Transformer

I have to edit all the sounds I picked and amplify them on my pc before i put them on my jump drive

I have to edit all the sounds I picked and amplify them on my pc before i put them on my jump drive
Yes, I did that (I use Sound Forge) but the forward location of the speaker and the high pitch of my selected sound makes it a bit hard to hear if I'm walking away from the rear of the car and there's a lot of ambient noise. I still like it so I'm going to keep it. Never had a problem with the car not locking.

Wanted to follow your lead, found a sound I like, pulled out the Tesla branded USB drive, plugged it in the computer, copied the LockChime.wav file to the top directory, went out to the car, and try as I might, the car does not recognize a drive being plugged in.

Back in the house, confirmed that the desktop can read the drive.

Used the double scroll wheel reboot.

Still no recognition of the USB drive.

And the lock chime sound reverted to the default ‘honk’.

Wanted to follow your lead, found a sound I like, pulled out the Tesla branded USB drive, plugged it in the computer, copied the LockChime.wav file to the top directory, went out to the car, and try as I might, the car does not recognize a drive being plugged in.

Back in the house, confirmed that the desktop can read the drive.

Used the double scroll wheel reboot.

Still no recognition of the USB drive.

And the lock chime sound reverted to the default ‘honk’.
I used a separate jump drive and plugged it into the usb c in the center console.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Will try that next.

I reformatted the drive on my desktop, then copied the wav file to it.

Took it out to the car, and the car recognized the drive.

Went to Toybox and selected “USB” and the sound I had chosen played.

Am I missing a step here ?

Went back to the SAFETY line, and clicked “REFORMAT DRIVE” since that was highlighted, and after an initial “unable”, the second try reported “Success!”.

I thought I was set, got out of the car, and the lock sound was the same honk as before.

Is there a “save” button I missed ?

Last edited: