Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car manufacturers with worse service than Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some good news regarding the quality and maintenance of Tesla vehicles. As it is Tesla's style to address consumer issues and improve their products (safety - five stars in every model, acceleration - quickest production cars, style, efficiency, fit and finish, quietness, price and even to some degree improvements in timeliness), per a conversation with some of the service center staff at the newly opened Sales and Service Center in my neighborhood, Tesla is already directing its attention to Quality and Maintenance. The Shanghai Gigacenter has already initiated double inspections by separate teams in an attempt to eliminate blind spots (scotoma) and drastically improve quality. Just Tuesday Tesla stated that is they "would do a top to bottom review and would strengthen internal management better safeguard consumer rights, We will carry out a complete self-inspection.”

This process is being adapted at other Centers as well. They report that to date quality and volume have been juxtaposed, with production numbers frequently winning out, thereby repair the problems at the SC. You can imagine how much time that takes away from actual servicing of a geometrically increase fleet of vehicles. As the assembly processes become more efficient, the production numbers settle and the new quality control measures are in place, this should dramatically ease pressures on the SCs. Granted this will not do much for those who have or have had quality and maintenance problems in the past. It is really great this week to hear Tesla say we are sorry and want to do better. That is a good start. Let's watch and hold their feet to the fire. I would challenge you to identify any car manufacturer so attuned to consumer input at the corporate level and strive to make changes to improve the public sentiment. For example, when the media complained of the noise level inside the Model Y (which actually matched the Cadillac CTS), Musk and company went beyond the pale and installed double pane laminate windows on new models to quiet the raging beast. Tell me that would happen at GM.

Remember when those first Model Ss rolled off the assembly line and they were brought to the inspection team in a room with a floor made of either teak or bamboo, and the team hovered over the vehicle with checklists and soft cloths. (Well maybe you are too young to remember). Well, that is the process that got me my first flawless Tesla. And then the business model kicked in and production numbers and efficiency and stock pressure were of the essence and we all know how performance-oriented Musk is. It appears that in some cases (not mine), as stated in this forum, quality and maintenance took second place to numbers. Also, Musk's thin skin and fierce competitiveness will go to the ends of the earth to address

It is always Ok to point out valid problems with Tesla. Valid complaints are no doubt what got Tesla's attention to address improvements. Believe it or not, what we express here in these forums is being heard at a variety of levels. My Tesla service contacts tell me they follow the forums to improve their service. I am now blessed with two great service centers. BTW, in the midst of these genuine issues, trolls DO exist on this thread, this forum and others, and most of all in the anti-Tesla media. I generally can tell who they are in a quick read. And there are also Tesla fanboys who deny anything negative about Tesla. Both should lighten up and focus more on the facts.

Hopefully, in the near future, this thread will become extinct, except for minor suggestions and tweaks.

why do you know such a set is available?

Amazon refuses to sell....

Well I had my rear-glass repair done on Friday! Yeah it actually happened!

After the annoyance of the 3 1/2 month wait, the actual service process was very easy. Dropped car off, rode to work. Rode back to Richmond later in the day, bike back on roof, drove home.

The replacement rear glass is now the cleanest bit of the car - and it's now centred (transverse), which is nice.

Tesla staff were helpful and polite.

They also adjusted the charge port (I had noted it), so it now closes fully. Was told that there were two clips which hadn't been attached properly, so no new port hardware was needed in this case.

Forgot to ask them not to update the software though. Now I have the smaller map and dumb speed information placements, doh!

Didn't cost anything, was treated as warranty item.

They told me the inside tread of all four tyres is getting low (at only ~24 mega-meters!). I've never had to 'rotate' tyres before - presume that that would help to even out the wear? Is that the point of it? Better find out what's involved... I have a big jack already! 😜

Tl;dr once the part required finally arrived, Tesla service was great.

Tesla sales leaves a lot to be desired. Delivery Dates move around aimlessly. The trade in process was so painful I cancelled the trade in. The website wouldn't let me 'accept' the trade in details even though on their side, the option was done. Little to no communication from Tesla on the process is for arranging the delivery. As a share holder, this concerns me on what is essentially the first part of dealing with Tesla and right now, if it was any other car company, I would have walked away from the sale.

I hope they invest in more service centers in AU in general, or at least one more in Melbourne. The showrooms are pretty *sugar* considering they are the #1 in market cap for Auto industry, they need to invest in this to scale and make it more immersive.

It's only the last two quarters that Tesla have provided a delivery window. Before that it was wait for the call/email a few days before - why so many relied on Vedaprime.

There are many reasons why delivery can shift - ship delays, port delays, backup at importer, additional detailing required etc.
You are getting far more information than previous buyers.

It's only the last two quarters that Tesla have provided a delivery window. Before that it was wait for the call/email a few days before - why so many relied on Vedaprime.

There are many reasons why delivery can shift - ship delays, port delays, backup at importer, additional detailing required etc.
You are getting far more information than previous buyers.
I understand that delivery timelines can shift. But the least Tesla could do is have information available proactively, send an update email whenever something changes, instead of having someone login to get the information. The trade in process is a perfect example of how much they can streamline it. I like the way of updating photos etc, but I never got another email from Tesla regarding the trade in. I had to chase up as everything else was done and finance was approved etc, but the status hadn't changed due to trade in.

These are the things that need to scale in addition to service centres because its very easy to lose repeat customers over 'bad customer experience'.

Well I had my rear-glass repair done on Friday! Yeah it actually happened!

After the annoyance of the 3 1/2 month wait, the actual service process was very easy. Dropped car off, rode to work. Rode back to Richmond later in the day, bike back on roof, drove home.

The replacement rear glass is now the cleanest bit of the car - and it's now centred (transverse), which is nice.

Tesla staff were helpful and polite.

They also adjusted the charge port (I had noted it), so it now closes fully. Was told that there were two clips which hadn't been attached properly, so no new port hardware was needed in this case.

Forgot to ask them not to update the software though. Now I have the smaller map and dumb speed information placements, doh!

Didn't cost anything, was treated as warranty item.

They told me the inside tread of all four tyres is getting low (at only ~24 mega-meters!). I've never had to 'rotate' tyres before - presume that that would help to even out the wear? Is that the point of it? Better find out what's involved... I have a big jack already! 😜

Tl;dr once the part required finally arrived, Tesla service was great.
It depends where your wear is on the tyres. If they are all worn at the same point then rotation achieves nothing. If they are all or one are edge worn you have an alignment / camber adjustment needed. If they are two edge worn its under inflated, and centre worn over inflated.
Before you rotate make sure your tyres arent directional as you may only be able to do front to back, so also check sizes are all the same ( mine are different sizes and directional so rotation possible)

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
Thanks Paul. All four inner edges only, so I expect one would swap tyres to other side of vehicle such that the inner edges become outer edges (if that's possible). They're the standard Michelin Pilot Sports, as delivered by Tesla.

Perhaps should get alignment checked. Are all four wheels are adjustable for toe and camber?

Thanks Paul. All four inner edges only, so I expect one would swap tyres to other side of vehicle such that the inner edges become outer edges (if that's possible). They're the standard Michelin Pilot Sports, as delivered by Tesla.

Perhaps should get alignment checked. Are all four wheels are adjustable for toe and camber?
Yes all wheels are adjustable. To swap the inner to outer you’d have to take the tyres off their rims. Can’t say I’ve ever done that but the person that fixes your alignments would know best on that one.
I’ve always taken my tesla’s to an alignment expert soon after arrival as they are generally not setup well.
So thats about the extent of my basic knowledge on tyres and setup.

Tesla OEM tires tend to wear faster. They are genuinely a lower quality tire. Switch to NEXENs at your earliest opportunity. Good quality tire for a fair price.
performance tyres wear faster than standard tyres. Typically the higher the quality the faster they wear. A fast wearing tyre typically has better grip and driving characteristics, the extreme example being F1 pirelli’s.

performance tyres wear faster than standard tyres. Typically the higher the quality the faster they wear. A fast wearing tyre typically has better grip and driving characteristics, the extreme example being F1 pirelli’s.

Agreed, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are exceptional tyres and standard (up until recently) on the Model 3 Performance....the F1's are actually not as good.