Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 only drive 1500+ mile, i got my first alert on the morning. the monitor shows
Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced
tried the reboot, went out and back in. come back to the car a few hours later, and it still shows on next day.
driving is fine, no strange feel i can tell. but still schedule the service on next day, and got a loaner MS.
will update once Tesla find out what happened.

Mine had the exact same issue last Tuesday.

I was in the middle of a lane change while using cruise control when this error suddenly popped up. What was concerning is that it did affect driving in my case. The steering feel changed from Sport to what felt like Comfort, regenerative braking was gone completely (not even low), and cruise control & AutoPilot were disabled.

It was scary because I was using cruise control at the time so the lack of any regenerative braking and disabled cruise control without a chime made me feel like it was still on and I almost rear ended the car in front of me. The braking felt weak without any regen but that was to be expected.

It went back to normal an hour later after I parked but I took it in for service the next day just in case. They apparently needed to change the Steering Control Module. I'm driving a Model S 75D without any options in the meantime and I miss AutoPilot. :(

I mentioned being dissatisfied by the lack of AP in the Model S loaner but they just said "I know auto pilot is amazing! We will get you your baby back ASAP :) Have a nice weekend :)"

:/
I would have followed up with "but it's just a software switch and this is your loaner". Then again, is it possible that S does't have the hardware, so they can't enable it? If that's true, then I understand. But if it has the hardware but they just haven't activated the feature, they should just do it...

I would have followed up with "but it's just a software switch and this is your loaner". Then again, is it possible that S does't have the hardware, so they can't enable it? If that's true, then I understand. But if it has the hardware but they just haven't activated the feature, they should just do it...

I hope it is just the hardware. It would benefit Tesla to activate EAP on all their loaners - it doesn't cost them anything and would work as a "free trial" for the customer. They could get some customers that didn't have EAP spend the $6k to get it after driving around with it.

I hope it is just the hardware. It would benefit Tesla to activate EAP on all their loaners - it doesn't cost them anything and would work as a "free trial" for the customer. They could get some customers that didn't have EAP spend the $6k to get it after driving around with it.
That's what I thought to. It was brand new with only 70 miles on it.

The paper for the loaner they made me sign showed Enterprise as the owner of it, so maybe Tesla doesn't fully own all their loaners, thus can't add AutoPilot to it. All Enterprise/Hertz Tesla rentals I've seen were purely base models with no additional options. Maybe an upgraded battery but that's it.

Reactions: lolder

The paper for the loaner they made me sign showed Enterprise as the owner of it, so maybe Tesla doesn't fully own all their loaners, thus can't add AutoPilot to it. All Enterprise/Hertz Tesla rentals I've seen were purely base models with no additional options. Maybe an upgraded battery but that's it.
I didn't even know that Enterprise had Teslas available for rent... If I knew that, I might have tried one out the last time I needed a rental... I just always assumed an ICE loaner was from a rental place and a Tesla loaner was from Tesla's own supply...

A whole bunch of issues can cause this error. It happened on my Model S. Root cause for my issue ended up being faulty TPMS sensors (the things in the tires that monitor tire pressure). Hopefully OP's cause is relatively minor.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

I miss the AP as well, the loaner is MS 75D, the paper show it have the hardware, but don't have AP enable.

My Tesla mobile App shows they updated the firmware to 2018.16.2 this morning, but still no update from tesla service about what happen. it has been 2 days now.

btw, comparing MS vs M3,
1) for road noise, the MS is more quieter than the M3 on road. in term of the fan noise, it's the same level i feel.
2) when it go above 90mph, MS is more stable, M3 start to fly and noise again.
3) the big browser is good, but don't have the ability to play video. and it's very slow for some page, may be it disable some function of the browser that lead to this problem. for example, yahoo finance is super slow on MS.
4) MS is bigger, especially the back seat. and the big opening of truck. driver seat is also more comfortable than m3.
5) the M3 long range is 310 mile, 75D is 250 mile.
6) MS have free supercharge, mostly i don't think i will need it. charge in home is the key, i don't want to spend time on going to gasoline station or supercharger station.
7) my full loaded M3 is 60k; 75D +1500 paint, +5000 EAP, +3000 Full Self Driving Cap = 84k, +40% than M3 ; or +5000 Premium package = 89k, +50% than M3.
8) the looking, it depends, i like how M3 looks.
9) the touch screen icon on MS looks old style. the M3 interface better.
10) the turn signal wiper is better on M3. a simple 2 level push. MS need to push harder and push back to cancel, with loud click sound.
11) too many handle behind the wheel, M3 design is more user friendly.
12) MS don't have storage on the door, how come?!
13) M3 door is very difficult to close, need to push hard.
14) pop up door handle on MS is good, M3 need a big hand or two hand.
15) center console (arm rest) on MS is high, and no storage. put the bottle in the cup holder there make no space for arm rest.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I got the same alert within a few minutes of driving off the delivery lot. My car has been in the service center for two weeks now. Two parts have been swapped, neither fixed the issue. Now they are waiting for yet another part for attempt #3. My SA was hesitant to give me an ETA even though I kept asking for one. I'm starting to see why now...it seems like they are not very confident that the fixes they are implementing will address the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I start to think M3 or Tesla may have more quality problem them other car makers.
I'm an fan of Tesla/Elon, but I will not recommend my friend to buy a M3 for now.
My friend warned me about the quality issue, at that time, there is no report with numbers to show how serious about it.
Now i would like to google, see if there is any article about issue with numbers compare to other car markers.

the enhance auto pilot also functions not prefect. i can only use it when in car pool or freeway in heavy traffic.
on city street, strongly recommend NOT to do so, the traffic aware cruise control will speed up when making turn on cross street.
On free way, it happen more than twice it speed up to Max speed while i can see the car fully stop far away ahead due to heavy traffic. i had to cancel the auto pilot to avoid it crush into the car stop ahead.
the auto steering wheel also make the car close to the line that could hit the car next to me while both car is making a slow turn in freeway.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I just got the same error yesterday, and after a power off for a few minutes and power back on, everything was back to normal. However, this morning, got in my car and the error was back. Power off at the office removed it once again and seems fine. I’ll keep an eye on it. Any update on your Tesla OP?

Power off reboot (if you still have the error) usually does the trick.

Happenes to me twice, but not again since the last update.

Hope it stays gone, if it comes back really quick a service visit may be in order.

I just got this error message this evening. Since there have been software updates since the last post more than half a year ago, any ideas on how to resolve this? Should I schedule a service appointment?

The enhance auto pilot also functions not prefect. i can only use it when in car pool or freeway in heavy traffic. On city street, strongly recommend NOT to do so, the traffic aware cruise control will speed up when making turn on cross street.

Please read your owner manual. It clearly states that EAP should not be used on city streets. It cannot recognize traffic lights, and will happily drive through a red if there is no vehicle stopping ahead of you.