Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not going to sleep + excessive vampire drain while connected to wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
Noticed after the update to 2019.8.5, that my car was experiencing excessive vampire drain. I was losing 1mile/hr. Realized it wasn’t happening anywhere other than home. I narrowed it down to the car not going to sleep when connected to wifi. Would stay on for hours...pump running and 12V not shutting down. Once I either reset my router or forget the wifi in the car...the car would shut down within 10min. What’s interesting is that if I reset the router, or “forget” the wifi, let the car fall asleep and reconnect it to wifi....it would still go to sleep. BUT once I put the car into drive, for even a second, it won’t sleep. Until I disconnect it from the wifi again. So there’s something that’s preventing the car from sleeping when it’s connected to wifi.

Anyone else notice this? Bug with latest update? Or coincidental timing with a hardware issue?
I haven’t re-entered the password to the WIFI, to prevent any excessive battery drain. Downside would be not receiving updates?

Noticed after the update to 2019.8.5, that my car was experiencing excessive vampire drain. I was losing 1mile/hr. Realized it wasn’t happening anywhere other than home. I narrowed it down to the car not going to sleep when connected to wifi. Would stay on for hours...pump running and 12V not shutting down. Once I either reset my router or forget the wifi in the car...the car would shut down within 10min. What’s interesting is that if I reset the router, or “forget” the wifi, let the car fall asleep and reconnect it to wifi....it would still go to sleep. BUT once I put the car into drive, for even a second, it won’t sleep. Until I disconnect it from the wifi again. So there’s something that’s preventing the car from sleeping when it’s connected to wifi.

Anyone else notice this? Bug with latest update? Or coincidental timing with a hardware issue?
I haven’t re-entered the password to the WIFI, to prevent any excessive battery drain. Downside would be not receiving updates?

Well known that this happens. This is from the Teslafi website:
  • Check your wifi connection to the vehicle. If the vehicle has a weak wifi signal it may be disconnecting and connecting to the wifi network repeatedly and preventing the vehicle from sleeping. If you think you may have a weak wifi signal try turning off wifi all together to test if things change.
My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

I started using Teslafi to track when the car goes to sleep or attempts to sleep but doesn't. It's a great resource and I don't understand why Tesla doesn't give us this info via the app or something.

Mine has been doing that for about 4 months now. I even made a service appointment and they checked but didn't find anything wrong. Still have no idea what the car is doing every day for about 2 hours when I get home.

I noticed that if I was at work and it had a weak wifi signal it would stay 'awake' and not sleep for about 2hrs and 17 min. It was the weak wifi doing it.

Capture.PNG

I noticed that if I was at work and it had a weak wifi signal it would stay 'awake' and not sleep for about 2hrs and 17 min. It was the weak wifi doing it.

View attachment 395981
I just removed the wifi connection from the car. Let's see what happens. Thanks, that was the only thing I haven't tried.

What is interesting is that when connected to WiFi at home the signal in the car shows to be pretty strong, the wifi router is about 18 feet away from the car.

Reactions: dennisma
I just removed the wifi connection from the car. Let's see what happens. Thanks, that was the only thing I haven't tried.

What is interesting is that when connected to WiFi at home the signal in the car shows to be pretty strong, the wifi router is about 18 feet away from the car.

Yes let us know I am curious how it works out. Do you track your sleep with Teslafi or VisibleTesla?

Yes. I also had the same issue with 2019.8.4 and now 2019.8.5. Thanks for posting the workaround.

I have a weak wifi signal at home, yet it sleeps for over 12 hours each night. The wifi is not the issue.

View attachment 395983

View attachment 395984

You are staying awake for over 2 hrs. That happens to me when I am at work where the wifi signal is weak. But if I am at a place where I don't connect to the wifi it sleeps in about 40 minutes.

Here is an example where I am home but I had "forgotten" my home wifi. I purposely woke it up to watch it go back to sleep again.

Capture.PNG

My router(apple) is in the room right above the garage. Car shows strong signal as well as airport utility...so I don’t think it’s an issue of weak wifi signal for me.

I also started getting continuous “charging started” notifications almost every hour....since the 8.5 update. I wonder if it has to do with this as well. I’ll have to see if that stops now that the car is sleeping and have limited vampire drain (from 1mile/hr back to .2mile/hr).

I filed a bug report when I got into my car after it hasn’t slept all day. Hopefully more people report it as well.

Sure will, I created my own data collecting application. The car is also parked in my attached garage and I can actually hear pumps or fans running while the car is awake. When ever I park away from home car goes to sleep in about 5 minutes.

You should probably know within 5-10min as well, once you “forget” your wifi that its connected to, if that’s what’s causing the issue. You can hear the contactors click off, pump stops and if a device (radar detector etc..) is connected to 12V...will turn off as well.

You are staying awake for over 2 hrs. That happens to me when I am at work where the wifi signal is weak. But if I am at a place where I don't connect to the wifi it sleeps in about 40 minutes.

Here is an example where I am home but I had "forgotten" my home wifi. I purposely woke it up to watch it go back to sleep again.

View attachment 395985

Interesting I wonder if it gives up trying to connect to wifi and just goes to sleep. I have similar ~40 minute sleeps at work where there is no wifi.

Edit: Either way, if my car is sleeping for longer than it is idling, I'm happy.

You should probably know within 5-10min as well, once you “forget” your wifi that its connected to, if that’s what’s causing the issue. You can hear the contactors click off, pump stops and if a device (radar detector etc..) is connected to 12V...will turn off as well.
So after I deleted the wifi connection and placed the car in drive, moved it a few inches inside the garage. The car did go back to sleep in about 10 minutes. The real test will be tomorrow when I get home from work.

So after I deleted the wifi connection and placed the car in drive, moved it a few inches inside the garage. The car did go back to sleep in about 10 minutes. The real test will be tomorrow when I get home from work.

Thanks...another confirmation. Looking forward to hear what you report back tomorrow....but I’m pretty confident it’ll sleep. I tried multiple repeated scenarios today...and it all pointed to wifi. Make sure to send a bug report, email Tesla about it. I sent a report, email and called today.....the only issue they know about is a glitchy screen.

I believe there is an interaction with TeslaFi and recent versions of firmware. This began the night I installed 2019.5.15 and is continuing in the 2019.8.x release. I opened a bug report with TeslaFi more than three weeks ago, and other users have also reported a similar issue on the thread I started in their forum. The car will eventually sleep, but it takes a number of hours (sometimes up to 5). Previously, it would fall asleep within 30-45 minutes of parking. No response yet from TeslaFi.

I believe there is an interaction with TeslaFi and recent versions of firmware. This began the night I installed 2019.5.15 and is continuing in the 2019.8.x release. I opened a bug report with TeslaFi more than three weeks ago, and other users have also reported a similar issue on the thread I started in their forum. The car will eventually sleep, but it takes a number of hours (sometimes up to 5). Previously, it would fall asleep within 30-45 minutes of parking. No response yet from TeslaFi.

What are your sleep mode settings in Teslafi?

I've adjusted it a number of times trying to deal with this issue, but the changes have not made a difference for me.

If you haven't already, please read this:
https://support.teslafi.com/knowledge-bases/2/articles/161-my-vehicle-is-not-sleeping
My vehicle is not sleeping! / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

It outlines settings required to make the car sleep when using TeslaFi, including in-car settings. Some of these vary from one release to another and from one car to another. One in-car feature which I needed to disable was the Tesla's cabin overheat protection feature. (At least, I did turn it off after reading that page. I haven't tried it with that feature enabled, so maybe it would actually work.)