Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve now owned my model Y for one month. Drove to Vegas over Christmas to visit mom. Already got a chip in the paint on the frunk lid. Two days after our return a rock hit the passenger side window. Cracked top to bottom… anyone else with similar problems?
21514D2E-7F0A-4944-9CCE-3E39055A0DA7.jpeg
815F71EE-140E-48D7-B849-DD7F19850B0A.jpeg

Are you serious? Lmao, guess you are with that post history! Acts of nature are quality issues?
Very serious… a coworker had owned his model 3 for two months and has three or four chips in the front end… seems like a very thin paint job. I have a four year old volvo that I’ve driven to Vegas more than a dozen times .. no paint chips

I recently got a nail on the front tire. Tesla tires suck! my 16 year old Accord never had nails, so Accord quality is superior.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I've has my M3 for about a year and a half and 15k miles and only have 1 similar rock chip on the hood of the car.

Id recommend getting an OEM paint kit from Tesla:

Also- I'm surprised the double page glass cracked that easy... must have been some rock :oops:

Tesla paint is thin and soft. This is why many folks get PPF.

As far as rocks hitting car on the highway happens all the time. Wife has a chip in the driver window of her Honda from a stray rock.

Hyundai is another car with very thin and soft paint. All kinds of crazy stuff flying around on the highways especially when folks are doing 80mph.

All cars are more aerodynamic these days, and especially Tesla's. The more aerodynamic (or replacing a grill with a painted nose), the more likely to incur debris damage in the front (nose & hood primarily). This is why PPF has soared for all vehicle types. However, this has nothing to do with the paint itself on any brand vehicle.

A rock hitting and breaking you window is just bad luck, not brand specific.

Reactions: FlyF4 and Yelobird