Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car settings werdification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Got in my S this morning and noticed my HVAC setting was at 76 degrees, which definitely was not where I left it yesterday after my commute home in 90 degree weather. Nobody else had driven it, and I hadn't even opened up the Tesla app (or played with Visible Tesla on my PC).

As I start my drive, I notice my Trip A/B counters weren't displayed on the dash. Went in to settings and they were unchecked. I definitely didn't do that.

I decided to check the rest of the controls settings. Auto-lower had been set up at 100+MPH. I didn't do that either.

No software update notification last night. No release notes this morning, so I don't think I got a firmware download. I'm at v8.1(17.26.17), although I don't remember what build I was at previously and when.

Weird.

Got in my S this morning and noticed my HVAC setting was at 76 degrees, which definitely was not where I left it yesterday after my commute home in 90 degree weather. Nobody else had driven it, and I hadn't even opened up the Tesla app (or played with Visible Tesla on my PC).

As I start my drive, I notice my Trip A/B counters weren't displayed on the dash. Went in to settings and they were unchecked. I definitely didn't do that.

I decided to check the rest of the controls settings. Auto-lower had been set up at 100+MPH. I didn't do that either.

No software update notification last night. No release notes this morning, so I don't think I got a firmware download. I'm at v8.1(17.26.17), although I don't remember what build I was at previously and when.

Weird.
Were there any additional miles on the odometer since you last drove it?

I don't note the odometer reading every time I get home, so not sure if extra miles there. But I looked at my Visible Tesla trip logs and nothing shows after my arrival home last night. And I don't plug in at home on weeknights, and my range this morning was right about where I expected it to be...

I'm not the only app user (my wife has it on her phone as well), not only does the official Tesla app not support toggling trip counter display settings, the car's API doesn't even export that functionality, so that wouldn't seem likely.

Hopefully I r not 4@x0r3d!

Somebody doesn't have to put miles on the car to change settings.

They just have to sit in the car and fiddle.

Can't change these settings from the official app.

Got a dashcam? Re-roll to see if you had a nighttime visitor in the car.

Have you given away your credentials to a 3rd party app?

Strange, I am on 17.26.17 as well and I noticed the auto lowering speed was reset to 100+ (I always have it set at 70+). Hard to tell about the other settings though as my other half drove the car last.

Somebody doesn't have to put miles on the car to change settings.

They just have to sit in the car and fiddle.

True, but @MorrisonHiker asked if there were more miles on the odo.

Can't change these settings from the official app.

Right. As I also already noted in Post #4

Got a dashcam? Re-roll to see if you had a nighttime visitor in the car.

Have you given away your credentials to a 3rd party app?

No dashcam... but was in my closed garage and my family didn't get in the car.

As for credential information in a 3rd party app, as noted above, these aren't tweakable via the API...

"... No software update notification last night. ..."

I see at least two possibilities. 1. Do you have any children or neighbor children who might get into the car to have a look? 2. There may have been a system reset overnight, putting your settings back to some default state.

"... No software update notification last night. ..."

I see at least two possibilities. 1. Do you have any children or neighbor children who might get into the car to have a look? 2. There may have been a system reset overnight, putting your settings back to some default state.
I have a 19 yr old son, however he doesn't have a key. He could have snagged my wife's or mine, but we were all hanging out together that night. After having the car for 4 yrs, it's not like he fascinated with the temperature controls or anything. I can hear my garage door openers, so I don't think any joy ride. And if he did, that boy would have set the temp far COLDER than 76, lol.

The neighbor theory is equally difficult to imagine given the car is on auto-lock, keys in the house, and garage doors closed.

I agree with you it's most likely a system of thing. Just weird in that manual reboots I've done never have had that kind of effect.

I've seen stuff like that, but not for several years now. You need to do a re-boot (hold both thumb wheels down until 17" screen goes dark) when weirdness like this starts to happen. If you don't it will just keep getting "weirder".