Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car starts charging without prompt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has been doing this for a while now. I thought it was a bug with the car/app because it would start charging when you opened the app and woke the car. Yesterday it had started charging entirely on its own.

I’ve also set a scheduled start time for charging at 23:30 and this worked with the few slots I needed last night.

I have raised the issue with Octopus as well.

I had the 23;30 schedule in the first place when I got IO a few months ago, but ultimately turned it off because IO had missed setting up a schedule a few times and by the time it started at 23.30 I didn't have enough charge by the time I had to leave home at 4.30.

Hello!
I have a Tesla Model S 100D (2018) that received recently an MCU2 update (and the latest version), and I have the same issue.
I don't have the Octopus thing, just a Tesla Wallcharger Gen3.
With MCU1 and the last version available (a very old version) I didn't have this issue.
Yeah, I think it's a software issue/bug.

It’s almost certainly a bug that has been introduced with a recent OTA update.

The car starts charging whenever it wakes and is connected to the v3 wall connector, when charging was previously stopped.

I’ve received acknowledgment of the issue from Octopus but there’s nothing they can do, apart from maybe looking out for charging being started when not scheduled or bump requested.

I have raised a service request with Tesla…

Reactions: diddy84
Tesla service called me this afternoon to understand better what is happening.

I will schedule a charge tonight and have been asked to submit time stamps for any unexpected behaviour so they can see which commands are being logged by the car.

I have submitted the following to my service request.

"Hi xxx, thank you for your call yesterday. As discussed I have charged the car overnight with Intelligent Octopus (IO) and have observed the same behaviour reported in the service request.

[18/5_17:27] IO app opened to enable smart charging with a target charge level of 80% by 08:00.

[18/5_17:32] Charging cable connected. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually in car. Charge limit 90% in car.

[18/5_17:40] Check Tesla app. Charging remains stopped.

[18/5_17:51] Check IO app. Smart charging scheduled to charge 12:30-01:30, 02:00-04:00, 04:00-04:30 & 04:30–5:00.

[18/5_17:53] Charging remains stopped. Tesla and IO apps running in background.

[18/5_19:11] Check Tesla app. Car charging at 32A. Charging stopped manually. 5kWh was added, indicating charging started unexpectedly circa 40 minutes earlier, around 18:30.

[18/5_19:49] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually.

[18/5_20:35] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually.

[18/5_21:40] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually.

[18/5_23:07] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually.

[19/5_07:35] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually. Smart charging disabled in IO app.

[19/5_08:44] Check Tesla app. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually.

[19/5_10:06] Open driver’s door. Car not charging. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually. Charging cable disconnected.

There are three significant events, where charging is starting automatically, despite being stopped when the car wakes [18/5_19:11, 19/5_08:44 & 19/5_10:06]. Two of which were not coincident with being controlled by IO. This behaviour seems contrary to the advice to leave the car plugged into a charger when not in use and is causing the car to charge unexpectedly during peak rates".

Last edited:
Tesla Service called me to request disconnecting IO from the car and resetting my Tesla password, to rule out whether IO is the root cause of this. I'm still sharing a log of events with them.

[19/5_11:36] IO app disconnected from Tesla account. IO app closed.

[19/5_11:40] Tesla account password reset

[19/5_11:44] Charging cable connected. Charging starts automatically. Charging stopped manually in car.

Last edited:
Tesla Service ask if I have scheduled charging in the car/app.

"Hi xxx, no scheduled start or departure time is set, but the car did not previously start charging automatically without manually starting to charge in the car/app. I can add a scheduled start at 23:30 to prevent this from happening (already did as a workaround) but it was not previously necessary. The root cause of this is a behavioural change of the car when connected to the Wall Connector.

Also a scheduled start time will conflict with IO’s smart charging schedule because it often schedules charging outside of the 23:30 to 05:30 off-peak period".

[19/5_13:08] Check Tesla app. Car charging at 32A. Charging stopped manually. 3kWh was added at peak rates, indicating charging started unexpectedly circa 24 minutes earlier, around 12:44. I have set the charge limit to 80% to prevent further unwanted charging.

Mine is on 2023.12.5

Reactions: PianoAl
Tesla Service are going to raise the issue with their remote team.

Hi xxx, yes please raise with the remote team. This issue must be affecting many Customers who use some form of smart charging to take advantage of dynamic unit pricing, their own solar energy, or who wish to leave the car connected to power when not in use.

For completeness I have logged a charge scheduled by the car. This was possible because I did not need more than the 44kWh available during the default, 6 hr off-peak period.

[19/5_13:57] Charging cable disconnected.

[19/5_19:15] Charging scheduled to start at 23:30. Charging cable connected. Charging did not start.

[19/5_20:49] Check Tesla app. Car not charging.

[20/5_07:01] Check Tesla app. Car charged to limit. Charging session stopped.

[20/5_07:30] Charging cable disconnected.

If you swipe to the right you have a “page” only for widgets:

IMG_3050.jpeg