Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Unable to Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 S P85 with 135k miles and same symptoms as many listed before but when it first happened, my UMC was flashing 3 red lights; I had just finished charging my other Tesla with it and it was pretty hot to the touch. I think it overheated and blew the fuse in question. I unplugged and used it the next day and it worked fine.

I just wrapped up swapping out the fuses today and I'm happy to report that all works again! Thanks to everyone for the videos and documenting these DIY adventures!

Reactions: scaesare and BCCA
Yeah, I'm really not sure what the deal is. My line voltage is admittedly on the high side at 246-248 volts. But that's well within the rating of the fuse.

I'm going to keep the current dialed back to 30A for the foreseeable future and see if that makes a difference. That's nearly half the resistive losses due to heat, so perhaps the lessened thermal stresses on the fuses over many cycles will help.
How have things gone since the last replacement? Have the fuses held up or have you had to go through more?

How have things gone since the last replacement? Have the fuses held up or have you had to go through more?
Hey, thanks for checking in.

So far so good, the things that I suspect are factors:

-It's been a bit less than 2 years since the last go-round, and I haven't had either of my 1st two sets fail that soon

-I did dial my charging current back to 30A, just to lessen the thermal load on them

-Since Covid, my driving needs have been cut by 90%, so the hours and cycles have been drastically less

Hoping I don't have to do this again any time soon.. lol

Reactions: diddydee
my P85+ has 2 chargers, and at the destination, it is charging at 16 amps instead of the 32 amps usually, and showing an error message.
At home, i'm limited to 16 amps, single phase, hence why it is not starting and displaying a message like "faulty grid.." so i suppose that the main charger is not working, problem is , it is not the same model as the one shown in the thread, it is a gen2, hence why i was wondering where the fuses are hidden on this one? Any clues much appreciated.
regrds mates
Late response...

I believe the 3-phase chargers are actually 3 single phase units ganged together. So perhaps a faulty charger or connection?

Looking through this thread now, and have not found the answer to the question: do the gen 2 onboard chargers use the same fuses as gen 1 and can be replaced? Much appreciated. My car is charging at SC and tesla wall connector but NOT via UMC @ 220V. Any insight would be highly appreciated. The car has dual chargers gen 2.

Looking through this thread now, and have not found the answer to the question: do the gen 2 onboard chargers use the same fuses as gen 1 and can be replaced? Much appreciated. My car is charging at SC and tesla wall connector but NOT via UMC @ 220V. Any insight would be highly appreciated. The car has dual chargers gen 2.
That sounds like a problem with your UMC. Can you test the UMC with another car?

After longer than expected due to rounding out a Torx head screw,... charger fuses still good. Fuses in HVJB also good. :/

Put it all back together, and apparently my HWPC has failed... UMC works fine.

Wish I had thought to test that first....

Reactions: aerodyne
Hi, i haver a different problem. The amps are fine 16/16A but now i charge at 30km/h. Before It charged at 48km/h. Could it be the charger fuse?
My car is a Model S 2013 single charger.

It's not a different problem. :)

You are missing one phase of three phase supply. Have you tried different chargers? If it's always the same, then the fault is in your onboard charger.

Depending on charger version, it's possible it's only a blown fuse which can be replaced.

Tesla MCU shows "two phase charging" as three phase, but only 7kw instead of 11kw. Or 30km/h instead od 48km/h.

No es un problema diferente.:)

Le falta una fase del suministro trifásico. ¿Has probado con diferentes cargadores? Si siempre es lo mismo, entonces la falla está en su cargador de a bordo.

Según la versión del cargador, es posible que solo se haya fundido un fusible que se pueda reemplazar.

Tesla MCU muestra "carga bifásica" como trifásica, pero solo 7kw en lugar de 11kw. O 30 km/h en lugar de 48 km/h.
Ok,.Do you have any idea how long it can keep running with only 2 phases?