Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't unlock until I handle my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure Background App Processing is enable and location Always with Precise is set. iPhone works fine if set right.

iOS will periodically prompt asking you do you still want to allow these permissions. You MUST SAY YES every time it asks for any permission on the Tesla App.

Reactions: Phlier
Just switched to iPhone 12 max pro from being lifelong Samsung user. Never had an issue with phone as key with Samsung. This was my biggest fear switching That the phone wouldn't work as well with Tesla. Actually it worked fine for three or four days and then my iOS updated. I think to iOS 14 and now every single time I have to turn Bluetooth off then back on again to get into the car. Any ideas?

I came here to figure out why my wife's iPhone 12 does not unlock here car, while my iPhone 11 does.

Someone mentioned back pocket vs front. I gave it a try and sure enough, if I put my phone in my back pocket, it does not unlock for me either. Then I had her try her front pocket, and it works fine.

Not ideal, since many of her pants don't have big enough pockets for a phone, but at least now she can unlock the car without getting her phone out by turning around.

coming from a OnePlus 8pro and it unlocked every time without fail. got the iphone 12 pro and now it works 50% of the time. its always in my front left pocket so i have to almost touch the door with my pants for it to recognize it. sometimes i have to pull it out and disable bluetooth and re-enable it for it to open.

Yeah, I pretty much have gotten into the habit of removing my phone from my pocket before I approach the car. I'm going to be putting it in the center console anyway, so not a huge deal except when it's raining or when I am carrying something, at which point it's a bit hit and miss (more hit than not fortunately, but I do carry my phone in my front pocket).

I have this issue on my android phones, randomly not unlocking. I have found a 100% method for unlocking. I take the phone from my pocket, turn it on/activate the screen, then hold the phone near the pillar sensor. It is a bit of a pain in the ass, especially with your hands full, but it works bullet proof every time. My guess is the short range bluetooth is really short range.
I hope this helps other users until tesla bothers to adjust their range sensitivity.
Stampee