Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
won't be LTE receiving that init sms

Not sure what's meant by this. There's no usable LTE signal here, never has been since long before I got the car, so the car relies on being connected by WiFi when parked here. This was something I checked out before I ordered it, as I wanted to be sure that the car would still have normal functionality with only a WiFi connection, and was assured that it would. As both LTE and WiFi use a similar IP based packet system, and as the power overhead in maintaining a WiFi connection is significantly lower than that of maintaining an LTE connection, I suspect that the car does much as many mobile devices do, and uses WiFi whenever it's available.

Not sure what's meant by this. There's no usable LTE signal here, never has been since long before I got the car, so the car relies on being connected by WiFi when parked here. This was something I checked out before I ordered it, as I wanted to be sure that the car would still have normal functionality with only a WiFi connection, and was assured that it would. As both LTE and WiFi use a similar IP based packet system, and as the power overhead in maintaining a WiFi connection is significantly lower than that of maintaining an LTE connection, I suspect that the car does much as many mobile devices do, and uses WiFi whenever it's available.
There seems to be an opinion from somewhere that the wake up happens via SMS. I don't know where that comes from as far as i am aware it happens via the wake_up api call

Potential Workaround for those needing the car to be awake to start third party triggered charging - ie Ohme, ev.energy etc.

Leaving the car with Sentry Mode on seems to be a temporary workaround to force the car to be awake waiting for an instruction to charge until the problem is resolved by Tesla.

There seems to be an opinion from somewhere that the wake up happens via SMS. I don't know where that comes from as far as i am aware it happens via the wake_up api call

I've no idea where the idea that SMS protocol would be involved, either. LTE is essentially an IP packet-based system, so the connection and data transfer should be much the same as that for any other IP-based system I think.

Reactions: Jason71
I was up on the North Norfolk coast yesterday. Had no issues waking the car from a mile away.
I’ve never used 3rd party apps, moved from iOS 13 to iOS 14, software from 32.5 to 36.10 and on Friday to 36.11
At home, car has it’s own WiFi AP in the garage
Strongest mobile signal at home is O2 -2 bars and 3G so not brilliant. Car’s LTE signal at home is not brilliant either. Sometimes goes offline.
From my perspective, it doesn’t seem software or iOS related.
Could it be a location issue?

I was up on the North Norfolk coast yesterday. Had no issues waking the car from a mile away.
I’ve never used 3rd party apps, moved from iOS 13 to iOS 14, software from 32.5 to 36.10 and on Friday to 36.11
At home, car has it’s own WiFi AP in the garage
Strongest mobile signal at home is O2 -2 bars and 3G so not brilliant. Car’s LTE signal at home is not brilliant either. Sometimes goes offline.
From my perspective, it doesn’t seem software or iOS related.
Could it be a location issue?
I was wondering that. I'm Shropshire and have this issue. Going down south tommorrow will try it there.

Potential Workaround for those needing the car to be awake to start third party triggered charging - ie Ohme, ev.energy etc.

Leaving the car with Sentry Mode on seems to be a temporary workaround to force the car to be awake waiting for an instruction to charge until the problem is resolved by Tesla.

The car never goes to sleep if on sentry so yes that works but at a cost

api call from app is sent to tesla servers
server responds with json reply to app
server concurrently sends sms wake call to car
app starts loop checking updated wake state from server
car starts wake process
car wifi + lte connections are enabled and obtain ip (metric wifi first)
car vpn tunnel raised and sends updated wake state json to server (vpn)
server updates wake state locally only
app checking server on loop eventually sees wake state change
app dialogue changes - car shows connected

sms over 2g because reliable / wide coverage / low power in sleep / industry standard for this process - car cellular has multiple radios - 2g status abstracted from user

sms also preferred as wake call sms will be held at carrier network inbox if failed delivery and retried whereas packets over tcpip will be dropped / lost

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
I’m experiencing the same issue, not sure if it’s since updating my phone to IOS 14 or the car update to 2020.36.10. My work around is opening and locking the car by the app that seems to wake it up, I’m guessing the headlamp flash might work as well.

The car never goes to sleep if on sentry so yes that works but at a cost
I don't know what's more costly, not being able to charge or having sentry on to allow the car to charge.

Not an ideal situation I agree but I'll take leaving sentry on just before bed and charging at cheaper rates then it not charging and charging manually at higher rates, or chargers on route.

car starts wake process

sms over 2g because reliable / wide coverage / low power in sleep / industry standard for this process - car cellular has multiple radios - 2g status abstracted from user

sms also preferred as wake call sms will be held at carrier network inbox if failed delivery and retried whereas packets over tcpip will be dropped / lost

How does that work here, then?

As already mentioned, before I bought the car I researched into whether or not it would have full functionality in an area without any mobile signal coverage. I was assured that the car would work normally, as long as there was a WiFi signal. This has been the case for the 10 months I've owned the car. Despite not having any LTE signal, the car has woken up from the app, and functioned normally, until last Wednesday night, when it seems that it stopped waking up on request.

As the car has never had an LTE signal here, how was it able to wake up in the past from the app, if LTE is needed for it to wake up?

car starts wake process

Unless you have a source for this, as conjecture it would seem very unlikely to me. The app can typically wake the car in 5-10seconds, no where near enough for sms to be delivered, networks to be established etc.
Far more likely for it to behave like a mobile phone receiving push notifications. It's a well tested process, leaving the modem/wifi in an always connected state where they can receive a message and then trigger the rest of the cpu to return from a low power state.

How does that work here, then?

As already mentioned, before I bought the car I researched into whether or not it would have full functionality in an area without any mobile signal coverage. I was assured that the car would work normally, as long as there was a WiFi signal. This has been the case for the 10 months I've owned the car. Despite not having any LTE signal, the car has woken up from the app, and functioned normally, until last Wednesday night, when it seems that it stopped waking up on request.

As the car has never had an LTE signal here, how was it able to wake up in the past from the app, if LTE is needed for it to wake up?

Do you also have absolutely no 3G or even just 2G signal from ANY of the carriers?
SMS doesn’t require LTE, as you well know.

I found a post on this forum from 2018 when users were having similar problems. One poster said this:

roger.klurfeld_98151236 Posted December 2018
When the Model 3 goes to sleep it cuts its WiFi connection. Tesla customer support told me its a feature to cut down on phantom drain. Tesla wakes the car up by pinging it over LTE. Once it wakes up it will switch to WiFi if available. So if all you are doing is connecting to push a few bits from the app to the car, it doesn't matter if you leave the car connected to your WiFi home router. My car routinely doesn't wake up in the morning. Very annoying if it is cold outside.

not lte, using gsm, car is getting a gsm signal as can roam networks, the connection status is hidden on ui

edit: cars gain on gsm will out perform your means of testing

I can absolutely positively assert that there is NO mobile signal here, not even GSM.

By way of background, when we were building this house the absence of a signal was a nuisance, as with no landline during the construction the only way to make calls was to walk about 1/4 mile up the hill behind the house, in order to get a weak signal that was just about OK for a voice call or text. Because of this, and whilst we still had scaffolding up, I researched which networks operated the nearest masts, found out which frequency band they used, and then purchased (an almost certainly illegal) repeater, 14dB gain yagi, a length of expensive low loss cable, an omni antenna for the ground level link and a bunch of N types. I already had a crimping tool to make up the cables.

The yagi was mounted on an additional scaffold pole, clamped to the top of the existing scaffold, and pointed towards the nearest mast working in the 800 MHz/900 MHz band, and was then fine tuned in position using the signal strength meter on the repeater. I could just about get 1 bar on the repeater, and that was just about enough to be able to make and receive calls on site. Once the house was finished I kept the repeater and re-fixed the antenna to a mast bolted to the end of the house, together with a DAB antenna (we can't get FM radio here either):

GSM antenna.jpg

Unfortunately, this repeater system wouldn't work with the antenna mounted a few feet lower down, and neither will the DAB antenna receive a signal either, so these antennas are both just ornaments. We don't get terrestrial TV either, so just installed satellite instead.

If that antenna, with all that gain, mounted around 25ft above the area where the car is parked, cannot get any usable signal, then I'm absolutely certain the car cannot either, especially given that the car antenna inside the wing mirror doesn't seem to be a particularly sophisticated design.