Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a question for you guys, saw a few pages back that you had ordered special lug nuts for these wheels, so I'm guessing they do not come with lug nuts? Along that same question have you found any locking / security lugs for these wheels?

thanks for the guidance!!

A very good question as these rims will have enormous appeal in the theft market:) Ant- theft lug nuts may deter an amateur thief but are worthless for professionals.

For extra protection I've purchase a device that gives a voice warning when anyone approaches the car too closely and alerts me via a phone app as well. Haven't installed it yet but will when the ESE rims are finally on the car. Nothing is foolproof but the goal is to delay the thief's work around as much as possible.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
RFID is a small chip that would be implanted... a good way to explain it, its similar to getting your dog or cat chipped, when your animal shows up at the pound they scan the chip and get your contact info and thus don't put your dog down or offer them up for adoption... theres no remote tracking beyond someone physically scanning the chip to reveal the data on the RFID tag revealing you as the owner.

You can also get active RFID/GPS that is trackable and links by cellular and satellite to geolocate the device. I have a system on my motorcycle that does this. I will look it up tonight I forget the name of it. About $400.

2.0 GPS LOCATING & SECURITY SYSTEM

image.png
Requires a power source. But you could use a kinetic generator on car wheels.

thats interesting bike lo jack basically... while something like that works on a bike mounted to a frame etc you wouldn't want to mount that to a spinning rim also it would be quite obvious to a thief as something that doesn't belong...

Maybe this is a product idea... a center cap for a wheel with gps and a kinetic generator...

Emailed Victor and Adriana today to confirm that the wheels will ship at the end of this week. Of course, as is often the case, there's been no response. And there's no sign on ESE's web site, Facebook page, or any other source that the wheels have actually been made.

These people need a good lesson in customer relations and communication. They should do more to keep us informed. If this continues for more than a week or two I'm going so ask for a refund of the full purchase price. I can always order the wheels later once there's real evidence that ESE can actually build what they claim, but as time goes on without any evidence I'm very concern that our $ is at risk.

Yes, I would suggest checking to make sure you are still able to recover this via you credit card company. There is usually a limit of time after the charge when they will refund your funds for a dispute, but this has really been a long time...and the vendor may know those limitations better than you...;)

At the risk of being a buzzkill, I think you guys need to be a bit more skeptical here unless losing the $8k is inconsequential to you. This company has obviously never built a wheel. They started development after getting full payment from you. The website shows photoshop wheels and CAD models with carbon texture applied. They offer numerous sizes as if tooling exists when it clearly does not.

I honestly think the worst case scenario here is that you eventually receive the wheels. At that point you will definitely lose the recourse via the credit card company, and I see a very low probability the wheels will function safely on vehicle. The potential loss from a wheel failure greatly exceeds the cost of the wheel (!)

You guys seem reasonably familiar with carbon composites...if so, then you must realize how much space could exist between the expertise required to make a "wheel" looking object (shown above), and that required to make a functional wheel...

Reactions: sorka
Spoke to Victor the other day again via the website chat says they are on track for the first orders to ship on the 29th I don't know if any of those are tesla orders though... I told him I felt that the community would like to see some pictures of all these ready to ship wheels / get some emails out to those first customers that your wheels will be shipping soon etc guess we will see what happens...

I spoke with Victor this morning and what he told me was all good news. I'n not authorized to reveal the details of the conversation but let me say that all of us who have placed orders will be very pleased with what ESE is doing to finish the wheels and prepare them for shipping. In fact, I felt a bit embarrassed for having overreacted and raised alarm in this thread.