Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the pics everyone's been waiting for! And I test fitted the 9.5s on the front a bit this morning and I'm pretty sure I can make them work with a spacer.

Excuse the loose rim ring and ugly lug nuts... UP titaniums are on the way. ARP also has a 1/2 shorter stud than the one I used, 100-7736. I may get those and move the longer ones to the front where I'll probably need them for the spacer, if the titanium lugs don't make it look nicer. Kind of a work in progress right now since I need the car, more of a "make it work now" than "make it look nice."

Next update probably won't be till April. should be the fun one with 4 carbon wheels, proper lug nuts, and carbon brakes! I can definitely feel some grip differences upgrading to a 305 vs 265. Can't wait till the fronts are on.

View attachment 284976
View attachment 284977
View attachment 284978
View attachment 284979
The Center cap? Is it going to have to be a domed cap?

ESE may soon be back from the dead:). Communicated with Victor Calvo today. He told me they have not yet delivered wheels to any customers as they are awaiting ESE certification. They’ve already passed the first round of certification and the second should be soon.

A set of wheels is now up to $12,000, which is not surprising given that they’ve been hanging on for a few years. As I’ve been a severe critic of ESE, I’ll be the first to eat crow when they actually deliver wheels to real customers, of which I may be one. But seeing will be believing.

ESE may soon be back from the dead:). Communicated with Victor Calvo today. He told me they have not yet delivered wheels to any customers as they are awaiting ESE certification. They’ve already passed the first round of certification and the second should be soon.

A set of wheels is now up to $12,000, which is not surprising given that they’ve been hanging on for a few years. As I’ve been a severe critic of ESE, I’ll be the first to eat crow when they actually deliver wheels to real customers, of which I may be one. But seeing will be believing.

My bad. That’s SAE certification, not ESE.

I don't think this is any more than another story from the company. I don't think I would ever be interested in anything from them after all the stories that have come from them.

They have had my money for over two years and I didn't even get a Christmas card. They are like a 501c - donate the money and hope it eventually goes to a good cause. Maybe in 2020... when I get my Roadster I will have the wheels - hopefully they use the same bolt pattern or it will 2025 for the next set..

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 8.38.32 PM.png

IF we ever see these wheels, I will be the first one at summit point with video cameras in hand - I believe I was their first order -- anybody order before me? placed my order January 4th 2016!!!!!

Order Confirmation

Hello Xenoilphobe,
Thank you for shopping with us! We will send you a confirmation email when your products ship.

Order Details
Order #REDACTED

img_prod-jpg.164003

logo_e1_cart-png.164004

Estimated delivery date 2016-4-15

• Diameter: 20"
  • Width: 9"
  • Offset: 35mm mm
  • Bolt Pattern: 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • QTY: 4
  • Price: $2,000.00 each
Shipping Address
XENOILPHOBE
Address: REDACTED
Phone: REDACTED

Shipping Cost: $0.00

Order Subtotal: $8,000.00

Deposit Amount paid: $4000.00

Due Date: 04-08-2016

IF we ever see these wheels, I will be the first one at summit point with video cameras in hand - I believe I was their first order -- anybody order before me? placed my order January 4th 2016!!!!!

Order Confirmation

Hello Xenoilphobe,
Thank you for shopping with us! We will send you a confirmation email when your products ship.

Order Details
Order #REDACTED

img_prod-jpg.164003

logo_e1_cart-png.164004

Estimated delivery date 2016-4-15

• Diameter: 20"
  • Width: 9"
  • Offset: 35mm mm
  • Bolt Pattern: 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • QTY: 4
  • Price: $2,000.00 each
Shipping Address
XENOILPHOBE
Address: REDACTED
Phone: REDACTED

Shipping Cost: $0.00

Order Subtotal: $8,000.00

Deposit Amount paid: $4000.00

Due Date: 04-08-2016

You were the first, for sure. I think I was the 2nd, but not sure about that. Here we are two years later but all of a sudden I have some confidence that these will finally be made. After all they’ve hung in there for a few years, and no legal challenges (as far as we know) have succeeded. And they’ve also provided refunds for orders that were never dleivered (which means all orders, since they acknowledge that no wheels have been delivered). It’s encouraging to know that SAE certification is proceeding (but we have to remember that they’ve bs’d us many times before).

So they still have your deposit? Maybe they’ll ship you wheels at the original price, saving you $4,000?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
When they sell the same specs with same price, I'm in. Until then I will wait. $4K more for a wheel that weighs more (CR) than the magical unicorn ESE's is not in my future. Also they are starting to face competition from the carbon barreled forged two piece wheels that weigh less than the full carbon CR's. I will continue to be stupidly loyal to the underdog (done this my whole life - its worked so far)

They have also had my Tesla center caps for over 2 years - hopefully they remember to throw them in the box when they ship the wheels....:D

Works until you get burned my friend, learning that the hard way with some Lambo parts that I'm now having custom fabbed at a cost of $7k over original, and over the time limit to charge back on my card. Still angry about having it stuck in the shop for 6 months. Hope for the best though, I might even get an ESE set for another car if they ever start shipping at reasonable intervals.

I'm pretty close to ATL. May have to check out the operation some day, definitely before I order.

---------

Mini-update. Looks great with the UP titanium lugs. Still going to go with the shorter studs for the weight reduction, plenty of length past where the threads end on the nuts.

Visited my local machine shop today and they're going to make me custom all-in-one spacers for the front - with weight reducing cutouts perfectly matched to the face of my wheel. The 10mms I ordered were a tiny bit too small, but the wheels looked good with 2 stacked. I had them make 18mm, which is a bit more then necessary, and I'll face them off on my own lathe to the exact size needed.

I'll probably do the final install after the RB carbon ceramic brake kit shows up in 2-3 weeks. Then it's off to the drag strip!

P_20180321_162405.jpg

Last edited:
So here we are about 6 weeks from the time Victor Calvo told me the final step was a 2nd SAE certification. So how long does that take? Did they fail the 2nd round of tests? Who would know? Nothing on the ESECarbon web site and nothing on social media.

Unless I see otherwise I'm going to assume they failed the second round of tests.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9