Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious: back to the original set of posts in this very long thread. Does anyone know if ESE has actually delivered any wheels? It’s been two plus years since they claimed to be making the wheels. If they haven’t devlivered wheels how long can this fraud continue? They are still taking orders on their web site. Is this just a pyramid scheme?

and the wheels magically have no interaction with air??

Yeah, this is partially the truth. The fenders are made to direct air around the wheels. Does the air go under the car through the wheel or out from under, at what speeds, at what ride heights, at what wind angles and speeds? Maybe a closer statement is "We just don't know wheel interaction with the air without extensive testing"?

On cars with aerodynamics for speed (think Bonneville) the wheels do not matter, spoke, disc or slotted has no aerodynamic advantage. Streamliner bodies smoothly push air around the wheels.

Tesla has designs to mitigate wheel aerodynamic drag with fender design and wheel placement in the fender. I have looked ad nauseum for reliable tests and mostly get opinion and conjecture. At least with wheel weight you get easily measured performance numbers for acceleration.

• Disagree
Reactions: hill and bxr140
Yeah, this is partially the truth. The fenders are made to direct air around the wheels. Does the air go under the car through the wheel or out from under, at what speeds, at what ride heights, at what wind angles and speeds? Maybe a closer statement is "We just don't know wheel interaction with the air without extensive testing"?

On cars with aerodynamics for speed (think Bonneville) the wheels do not matter, spoke, disc or slotted has no aerodynamic advantage. Streamliner bodies smoothly push air around the wheels.

Tesla has designs to mitigate wheel aerodynamic drag with fender design and wheel placement in the fender. I have looked ad nauseum for reliable tests and mostly get opinion and conjecture. At least with wheel weight you get easily measured performance numbers for acceleration.

Tesla disagrees with you. Look at the aero hubcabs on the 3.

Reactions: bxr140
Tesla disagrees with you. Look at the aero hubcabs on the 3.
prius has documented efficiency increase ah la its ugly wheel covers. Toyota documents (in short) a ½ to ¾ mpg increased efficiency. Put another way, the prius plastic wheel covers improve efficiency 1% to 2%. Many actuaries feel that statistically, percentages below 5% are often tantamount to the same nothing-burger. But yea ... it is an improvement.

Reactions: The Duke
Hard data on Tesla efficiency vs weight carried is so hard to find! My own testing (certainly not well controlled) shows the 1-2% efficiency decrease if I carry 200 lbs. Barely noticeable, but measurable. I often drive the exact same roads under similar conditions.

So the debate continues, lighter wheels vs aero wheels for efficiency. But for overall performance, ride and bling, carbon wins!

Fan Duct.jpg

Just finished a little part :) Carbon is neat stuff to work with. Current resin systems seem good to about 450F.

View attachment 264713
Just finished a little part :) Carbon is neat stuff to work with. Current resin systems seem good to about 450F.

So what’s that part?

I’ve done a lot of work with carbon fiber to make my own bicycle parts. Making the stuff is not that difficult but finishing it to have a flawless appearance is a real PIA. For that you need to vacuum form everything and have some real expertise and experience. Otherwise it’s hours if not days of elbow grease:)

Check out Litespeed Racing Wheels lightweight wheels. I loved them so much I became a dealer. 19x9 @ about 15.6 pounds. 20x10 @ 17lbs They have a super advanced alloy lighter and stronger then 6061 Forged. Or check my site out to order Wheels www.saharatire.com

Attachments

• A7F9B3A1-9503-4D71-A799-7A3E65E18847.jpeg
    A7F9B3A1-9503-4D71-A799-7A3E65E18847.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 77
  • 18F21974-4D59-4217-B145-FB5D2E97F6C1.jpeg
    18F21974-4D59-4217-B145-FB5D2E97F6C1.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
Can you provide more details on the specific fitment for the Model S?
View attachment 274289
The model S can either go 19x9 all the way around, 19x9/19x10 set up or 20x9 all the way around or the 20x9/20x10 set up. That’s the only current size and widths available on the carbon hybrid. Now Litespeed also offers super advanced alloy, as light as these wheels, stronger than 6061 forged and a lot less priced then the carbon hybrid. Those are available 20x9.5-20x12.5. They are all made in the USA with custom offsets . You can contact me if you have any other questions. My contact info is listed on my website www.saharatire.com